Ncl Bags Program

mew1

The following airlines participate in NCL's Bags Program:

Air Tran, American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Continental Airlines, Delta Airlines, Horizon Airlines, Jet Blue, Northwest, United Airlines, U.S. Airways or Ted Airlines.

Here's a link to all the fine print:

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=BAGS

We used the program Easy Fly when leaving NCLA Pride of Hawaii last October.

We did not have cruiseline transfers for ourselves. Instead of getting to the airport early and sitting around, we chose to wander around downtown Honolulu. The only things we had to cart around during our walking tour were our carry-ons.

We loved the luggage program...and I was a bit jealous of our baggage as it arrived at the home airport before we did :p - we had a plane substitution due to mechanical difficulties so our flight home took l..o..n..g..e..r than it was supposed to.

Has anybody tried it for the European cruises?

The Bags program is not currently available for international flights.

I"m a fan of the Bags Program. I think its a great value for $15 per person. Our group of seven recently was able to grab a single taxi as opposed to schlepping all the luggage and grabbing multiple taxis to the airport. There's no need to tip the porters at the port or airport. No lines except through security clearance, our boarding papers were correct and all our items arrived in the same condition as when they started.

One thing you should be aware of is that you can't take full advantage of freestyle disembarking if you use the Bags program. You will have to be off the ship by a certain time which will be specified when you sign up for the program. As stated in a previous posting the Bags program was the first "color" called. The airport bags handlers are only available at the port for a short time to receive your bags after they've cleared customs. If they've left before you've claimed your bags and passed them on, you're on your own for transporting them.

Check at the main desk for what airlines are particpating from particular airports! When we were on the Sun this past January, we tried to take advantage of the bags program. However upon checking, we were told that United out of Miami to Chicago did not participate in the Bags program. That may have changed since then, but still wise to check at the main desk.

gym2

Has anyone used this program, what was your opinion of it

thanks

Mew1

Well, I tried to use it, and it ended up costing me time and trouble. The following is from my review ...

As part of the BAGS program I was supposed to be off the ship by 8:50am. As I understand the schedule, the express group (take your own bags off) was first. The VIPs were second. The BAGS group was third, then the colored tags. Fortunately I was in a suite so the concierge allowed me to join the VIP group. Unfortunately the VIP group did not get off until 9:00am, and I was the first person not dragging any luggage to get off the ship. When I got to the truck they refused to take my luggage. They said I would have to call NCL for a refund. On top of that, they refused to give me my luggage tags. As a result, when I got to the airport, I could not curb check my luggage, because Continental's records showed that two luggage tags had already been printed. Oh great. This was after fighting for a taxi. This was not the way I wanted to end my vacation.

Fortunately the check in line was not too bad and I was able to get my bags checked through to my sister's house, where I am spending the weekend before flying home Monday morning. The security line was fairly long. Fortunately I have elite status with Delta which Continental honors, so I made it past security by 10:00am. Otherwise it would have been closer to 10:20am. Nonetheless, I could not believe the number of people who did not know how to get past the metal detector. Here is a hint - remove all the metal in your pockets.

So, while they say anyone with a flight after 11:30am can use BAGS, based on my experience, I would not use the program unless I was flying after 12:30pm. One small glitch in clearing the ship and this program will slow you down (and remember, I had VIP status - I'm not sure where I would be if I did not have VIP status).

Here is the full review, if you want to read it ...

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=38933

I used the luggage program when leaving the Pride of Aloha in October. It worked great. We were over the weight limit on the way to Hawaii so we knew we must be way over on the return flight. No worries. No weight restriction, no having to worry about gathering all the bags. It was GREAT!

I got off the star Sunday march 23rd. I used the luggage program. It cost me $16.00. I put my luggage outside my cabin and didn't see my bag until i got to my home airport. 2nd time i used it, and i love it...........Henry

Folks get real excited over this program, but a few concerns.

1- If you are an international traveler, you must still claim and take your bags through customs. Hawaii is NOT international for US citizens.

2 - You must leave your bags out the night before. Some people like to wait and pack late or in the morning.

3 - If you have any changes at the airport, you still need to visit the counter.

4 - If you have an early flight that requires you to move quick to the airport, this will not work. They have a GROUP transport for your bags that take time.

5 - If your bags get lost, the cruiseline and the airline will continue to point fingers at the other.

6 - If you get to the airport, and they want to put you on a different or earlier flight, your bags are, well....

Hey, but other than that, it does save you from putting your bags in the a taxi and dragging them to the counter at the airport.

We're just off the Jewel today and we used it just fine. Only glitch was that there was no clear explanation of where we find our luggage so we went to lavendar tags and it wasn't there. Turns out it was under white. Other than that everything worked great! We paid $16 for my husband and checked both bags under his name and then when we got to the airport we just went and got my boarding pass and went out our merry way.

Archived