My impressions of the QM2

My impressions of the QM2 from our first voyage aboard her, Jan. 13-23, 2008

I was a little afraid that I might have built my expectations up too high for the QM2 but I am very happy to say she met and exceeded them all! I also was afraid I would compare her to my beloved Mary and she would fail by comparison, again, I am happy to say she did not. I was thrilled to see so much that actually reminded me of Mary, especially all the different wood paneling throughout and her lovely Art Deco. The history of Cunard’s grand steamships and liners displayed all over is wonderful! I LOVED seeing so much in the way of paintings, history and information about the original Mary. No liner will ever be as beautiful or special as the RMS Queen Mary is to me but the QM2 is a close 2nd. The QM2 carries the name RMS Queen Mary with grace and beauty just as her namesake has for over 70 years.

Well, what can I say, I now love two ocean liners named Mary.

A few highlights from our voyage:

Of course meeting everyone from our CC Group was wonderful! What great people! We now have new friendships that we hope will last for many, many years.

Meeting Captain Rynd and his lovely wife was such a big honour for us. They both were so kind and gracious and let me ramble on about Mary, as you all know I can do :p Definitely a meeting we shall never forget.

Having the opportunity to meet Commodore Warner and have him sign a photo of when he brought the QM2 over to say hi to Mary in 2006.

Being a part of Cunard’s history with “The Meeting of the 3 Queens in NY” even with the freezing weather. We wouldn’t have missed it for anything.

Just being aboard the RMS Queen Mary 2 is a highlight all in its own :D

Things about our voyage we didn’t like:

I couldn’t get close enough to her funnel, maybe next time. I saw a ladder :rolleyes:

We had to get off on the 23rd :(

Thanks for letting me share.

Betsy

Hello Betsy:

Since you can not go to sea on Mary 1, QM2 is a nice option. :D

I like both ships very much as well. I have met both Captains you mentioned, seemed like nice chaps. Warner on QM2, Rynd on QE2.

Tom in Long Beach (who wishes he could afford Cunard more often).

QM2 is indeed a marvellous vessel:

Things we liked most:

just being onboard, a stunning environment

the effortlessness with which her 157,000 horsepower shifted us through the water

planetarium

superb service in room, restaurants, bars, everywhere

dressing up for dinner for a change

meeting people

sailaway parties

pounding the deck - and they call this excercise?

Things we liked slightly less:

disembarking, obviously

traipsing round King's Court with a tray trying to find (a) Mrs Henleycruiser and (b) somewhere to sit - but there are plenty other dining options.

Can't wait for the next opporchancity to sail with her.

My impressions of the QM2 from our first voyage aboard her, Jan. 13-23, 2008

I was a little afraid that I might have built my expectations up too high for the QM2 but I am very happy to say she met and exceeded them all! I also was afraid I would compare her to my beloved Mary and she would fail by comparison, again, I am happy to say she did not. I was thrilled to see so much that actually reminded me of Mary, especially all the different wood paneling throughout and her lovely Art Deco. The history of Cunard’s grand steamships and liners displayed all over is wonderful! I LOVED seeing so much in the way of paintings, history and information about the original Mary. No liner will ever be as beautiful or special as the RMS Queen Mary is to me but the QM2 is a close 2nd. The QM2 carries the name RMS Queen Mary with grace and beauty just as her namesake has for over 70 years.

Well, what can I say, I now love two ocean liners named Mary.

A few highlights from our voyage:

Of course meeting everyone from our CC Group was wonderful! What great people! We now have new friendships that we hope will last for many, many years.

Meeting Captain Rynd and his lovely wife was such a big honour for us. They both were so kind and gracious and let me ramble on about Mary, as you all know I can do :p Definitely a meeting we shall never forget.

Having the opportunity to meet Commodore Warner and have him sign a photo of when he brought the QM2 over to say hi to Mary in 2006.

Being a part of Cunard’s history with “The Meeting of the 3 Queens in NY” even with the freezing weather. We wouldn’t have missed it for anything.

Just being aboard the RMS Queen Mary 2 is a highlight all in its own :D

Things about our voyage we didn’t like:

I couldn’t get close enough to her funnel, maybe next time. I saw a ladder :rolleyes:

We had to get off on the 23rd :(

Thanks for letting me share.

Betsy

I'll second my wife's account of the best trip we have been on to date (20-years) The only thing that I would change is to sneak some duct tape on board to cover up the cameras and grab a photo op of a funnel hug. Wow!!! :cool: :cool:

What greater compliment could you pay than to say she is almost a match for the first Mary. Glad you enjoyed it and were not disappointed.

Jane

You are very right about the compliment.

I too love both QUEENs and try to remember the difference in the room interior. As far as I can remember we had 4 tabs in the bathroom on QM in Long Beach. The 2 aditional ones should spend sea water (but of course not working). This we were told from the front desk lady!

What I really enjoyed on QM was the aisle which disappeared in the distance because of the curvature of all decks. And of course the sound from the horn at noon.

I have to stop bevore getting off thread to far. See you in summer.

I have to stop bevore getting off thread to far. See you in summer.

Getting off thread (which you certainly were not) is half the fun, no?;) You just go right ahead RobertQM2, and meander wherever your heart desires. I am sure someone will put an end to it and bring us back on topic if history is any guide (or maybe not:cool: ).

What I really enjoyed on QM was the aisle which disappeared in the distance because of the curvature of all decks. And of course the sound from the horn at noon.

Isn't it amazing to see her "Sway" that's what Captain Rynd said it's called. Hearing her horns always warms my heart :p

Archived