have you ever played a joke on your waiter?

We did not do this as a joke but it was quite funny. We were in Johnny Rockets eating and one of the waiters dropped all of his dishes on the floor and they all broke. My husband and I clapped our hands and said "Yeah". Oh my goss we never laughed so hard. He went in the kitchen and told everyone that we said "Yeah" and they all came out laughing. I guess the foreign people never did that in high school. When someone dropped the dishes in the lunch line you would yell "Yeah". So when this guy dropped the dishes we just blurted out "Yeah". Guess you had to be there as the whole staff could not stop laughing. If anyone drops anything on your cruise yell "Yeah" and see what they do. I can't stop laughing now as it was quite funny.:D

I was on a Med cruise back in the early 90's and there was something happening in the sky that night (can't remember what now) right in the middle of our dinner time. We told the waiter that everyone at our table were going to leave the table for a few minutes to view the ______(whatever it was) and then we'd return. When we got back to the table, the waiter had removed all our chairs and we had to stand around a while until the chairs were brought back. HE thought it was real funny...and I guess we did, too.

Since the wait staff rearranges (and adds to or deletes from the silverware) at your place setting, according to each persons order, we removed all the silverware and placed it in our laps. The assistant waiter looked, mumbled something and went off to get more..... we replaced all the silverware... when she got back she was VERY confused, until we explained.

Our tablemates whom we did not know before our cruise decided to turn all the silverware facing downward (towards our laps) so the waiter came back and had to turn them all the right way. He had this look on his face like "ha ha very funny, I've never seen that before" Didn't seem that funny to me either.

In Dec. our waiter did the dropping the espresso cup on my lap. It looked like it was full, but it wasn't. I screamed and everyone including me laughed our heads off. He got teased by me the rest of the cruise, I told him I was going to get him...so he made comments every night as I was leaving that he had lived another day...LOL

I would have loved to have gotten him back!

In Dec. our waiter (on the NOS)did the dropping the espresso cup on my lap. It looked like it was full, but it wasn't. I screamed and everyone including me laughed our heads off. He got teased by me the rest of the cruise, I told him I was going to get him...so he made comments every night as I was leaving that he had lived another day...LOL

I would have loved to have gotten him back!

A few years ago, our waiter was always asking if we wanted fresh ground pepper on everything. Well, after he had played several tricks on us, we used the lid of a 35mm film container to plug the bottom of the pepper mill. Perfect fit!! When he asked if we wanted pepper, our whole table said yes. We waited and waited as he tried to grind out the pepper. He had the look of disbelief on his face until he looked at the bottom of the mill. He laughed so hard he went down to his knees and he knew exactly who the quilty one was. We did not have a pepper mill on our table after that!

We had a waiter on the Rhapsody last year who had the best sense of humor! He was so proficient with the "crumber" that we played a joke on him one night. After he had swept the table clean between courses, he discovered my DW and I had created a big pile of bread crumbs under our plates. When he picked our plates up, he looked so shocked. We all had a great laugh. We only did it once for a laugh and he was very amused.

Our first cruise we had a table for 4 with good friends. The assistant waiter got to know us and joked with us. One night pouring coffee, he filled our wives cups and put only a very small amount in the guys.... I sipped it and said " Yes, this is fine, you can serve this...."

Playing jokes are one thing, but when I rearranged the silverware during the meal I foung out from one of our table partners that if the head waiter came by and saw the misaligned silverware the waiter and assistant would be reprimanded. I never did that again.

My DH always rearranges the silverware, but the waiter arranges it the way it should be. One time on a New England cruise he bought some fake ants in one of the ports. Later at dinner he put them on the table. The waiter knew they were fake tho.

Jan

One one cruise, it seemed our very formal waiter was always removing my forks... So I decided to get about 10 forks up in the Windjammer and bring them to dinner that night. I put all the forks out on my place setting!:) Everyone thought it was a riot. The waiter looked stunned, then realized what had happened and told me "The Windjammer called and said they ran out of forks!":D

One one cruise, it seemed our very formal waiter was always removing my forks... So I decided to get about 10 forks up in the Windjammer and bring them to dinner that night. I put all the forks out on my place setting!:) Everyone thought it was a riot. The waiter looked stunned, then realized what had happened and told me "The Windjammer called and said they ran out of forks!":D

I haven't played a joke on my waiters, but my waiters have helped me play jokes on others.

On my Explorer cruise, I was traveling with a large group from the community chorus I belong to. We had 3 large tables side-by-side at early seating, and the director was at the next table over. We had done a really cute arrangement of "Rubber Duckie" at our spring concert, and had also sung it onboard the ship. On the second formal night, I caught up with the headwaiter before the director came in for dinner and handed him a small yellow rubber duckie and whispered my instructions. A short while later, said headwaiter approached the choral director with a towel over his arm, carrying a tray. On the tray was a large martini glass filled with shaved ice - and the little duckie perched on top. "Cold duck, complements of the Captain, sir!"

On my Vision cruise, one of the people at my table had special dietary needs, so our waiter would bring her the next night's menu at the end of each dinner. Of course, it got passed around the table. Well, my 22yo DS had been very (for him) adventurous with his dining, getting the chef's special each night, but one night he looked at what was coming up for the next night and decided on the spot that there was no way he was going to try that - I think it was some kind of fish with wasabi. Well, as soon as he & his g/f left the table, I conspired with the waiter. No matter what DS ordered, she was to bring him that chef's special (and bring me what DS ordered). Well, he put in his order - I think it was turkey tenderloins or something - and looked a little quizzical when she put the plate in front of him (didn't think the turkey would look like that!). The look on his face when he took a bite was pretty funny! I then traded plates with him....

We were on the voyager and our waiter told us tomorrow was Italian nite. Well he made a mistake and it wasn't. I don't remember what was served but it wasn't Italian. The next nite I bought meatballs in port and gave them to him for his birthday and told him thats Italian.

like a few days into your cruise, when you know your waiter and he knows you - to substitute the silverware with plasticware and to ask him why your knife will not cut your steak? :D

Yes..one cruise, the assistant waiter, a nice friendly female from Romania

was very efficient. Every night when she was working our table, I would

always write on something.."Hello S.A." (her initials).

Every night she would wonder where she would find the "secret message" from me. It always brought a smile and, a laugh when she later started

finding the message at someone elses seating..but, she knew it was from me.

Later on, a longtime later, on a different ship..

I had completely forgotten about "S.A."

and, the secret messages I left her...I was in an topside buffet

area having lunch, and, when I came to this person, she laid

down her service utensils, she came out and, gave me a big hug.

Our friends were surprised as I was...(did I know you?)

Then, she reminded me, it was ME that played that game with her

awhile back..she never forgot me... :D

We did not do this as a joke but it was quite funny. We were in Johnny Rockets eating and one of the waiters dropped all of his dishes on the floor and they all broke. My husband and I clapped our hands and said "Yeah". Oh my goss we never laughed so hard. He went in the kitchen and told everyone that we said "Yeah" and they all came out laughing. I guess the foreign people never did that in high school. When someone dropped the dishes in the lunch line you would yell "Yeah". So when this guy dropped the dishes we just blurted out "Yeah". Guess you had to be there as the whole staff could not stop laughing. If anyone drops anything on your cruise yell "Yeah" and see what they do. I can't stop laughing now as it was quite funny.:D

Having worked in the restaurant industry for 18 years we always appreciated folks like you making an already bad situation all the more uncomfortable.

Many times, breakage is taken out of waiters' paychecks and they only make $2.13/hr to start.

I guess I don't see anything funny about that...

Yes, our table played a great joke on the headwaiter. I had ordered an appetizer that I didnt like. I was going to request something else when one of our table mates handed me a couple of plastic ants. She said to show it to the watier and tease that i found bugs in my food. I put a couple of the plastic critters under one of the pieces of meat and was poking around at it when the head waiter noticed. He was an attentive middle aged man from the Phillipines (he was small and had huge bug eyes). He asked if I was unhappy with my appetizer. I lifted the meat and showed him the bugs, he immediately grabbed the plate and took off for the kitchen, saying, I will have a talk with the chef. I rushed after him and showed him that the bugs were plastic. He shook his finger at me and said....you got me....no one has ever done that in 25 yrs of working here. Of course my table was laughing hysterically. He remembered us the entire cruise and even lead us to the head of a new line he opened at the chocolate buffet. He told me he would never forget that.

You appear to be the minority in that group, as the waiters apparently got a good laugh out of it :)

Okay so I'm in the minority... Can you explain why breaking dishes is funny and clapping and laughing at the guy is amusing?

Personally I never found it fun to have china costs going against the bottom line when I was struggling to keep a restaurant afloat...

The poor waiter who dropped the stuff probably felt like crap.

When I was waiting tables in college I dropped a bowl of cream soup on a lady's fur coat-let me tell you, there's nothing funny about that...

Archived