Unique & Different PLEEZE

Sailor Gal

Been to St. Thomas several times. Does anyone have suggestions for something different to do. Already been to Megans, Sapphire and Coki Beach; Trunk Bay, St. John; island tour w/Godfrey & Sunny; couple day sails; done the shopping thing several times. What else?

Been to St. Thomas several times. Does anyone have suggestions for something different to do. Already been to Megans, Sapphire and Coki Beach; Trunk Bay, St. John; island tour w/Godfrey & Sunny; couple day sails; done the shopping thing several times. What else?

Friends of ours did The BOB (Breathing Observation Bubble, an Underwater Scooter) and said it was a blast.

Cindy

I've not been there, but I hear it's beautiful.

This is from Virgin Islands Now:

Visitors to Water Island must take the small Water Island ferry (max. 25 passengers) which operates daily between Crown Bay Marina on St. Thomas and Phillips Landing on Water Island. The ferry docks in front of Tickles Restaurant at the marina. Ferry service is reliable and takes about 10 minutes, one way. There is no car ferry.

Water Island Ferry (340) 690-4159

Rates: Adults/$5 one-way, $9 roundtrip and Children/$3 one-way and $5 roundtrip. First two boxes/luggage are free; $1 each additional item. Weekly, monthly and commuter passes are available. Tickets are sold by the captain once on board.

Time: 10 minutes

Special runs are available on request, additional fare may apply.

Leaving Crown Bay, St. Thomas:

Monday-Saturday

6:30 am

7:15 am

8:00 am

10:30 am

12 noon

2:00 pm

3:15 pm

4:15 pm

5:15 pm

6:00 pm

Leaving Water Island:

Monday-Saturday

6:45 am

7:30 am

8:15 am

10:45 am

12:15 pm

2:15 pm

3:30 pm

4:30 pm

5:30 pm

6:10 pm

Virgin Islands Now has more information on the island and on its beaches.

There's a biking/beach excursion to Water Island that's offered on most ships. The advantage of visiting Water Island as part of a tour is that they'll direct you to amenities that you might not find if you do it on your own, and you'll have company at the beach. I think you also go past the golf course where there's a turtle crossing sign, and you might see land turtles.

Another option might be the kayak/snorkeling excursion in the mangroves. That'll let you see another section of St Thomas.

A different beach: Secret Harbor, Cowpet, Morningstar, Emerald, Bluebeards. How about watersports; parasailing or windsurfing or diving. St. John and hike the Lind Point trail which starts right in Cruz Bay, goes to Honeymoon and Caneel Bay; can take a taxi back from Caneel to Cruz Bay. Eco-kayak trip. Aerial tour. Blackbeards & historical homes tour in Charlotte Amalie.

--Islander

We had company in from the states and took them on the On Deck Racing. This was also my first experience with them. We had a blast! They pick you up at the same cruise ship dock and keep the groups small - around 6 per race boat. You are given the option of actually being part of the crew and taught on what to do. Once out of the harbor the race begins! Yelling and name-calling is a must to distract the other team, what a hoot! After the race is over, they take you back to the office where they serve a kick-butt rum punch (free of course) and you are able to mingle with the crew and other participants. Big screens present a slide show of your day and the slide presentation is offered to buy.

I would definately do it again and will take all my friends/family when they visit!

Sailor Gal, I'm sorry that I don't have any ideas for you - we've been to St. Thomas several times also but we love Trunk Bay so much we have gone there almost every time. Since you are an experienced expert, could you give your opinion on Coki Beach. We are going with a group of varied ages this time and want to try Coki but after being disappointed with Sapphire a few years ago and all of the negative feedback on the boards about Coki, we are a little apprehensive. Your honest thougths would be appreciated. Would you do Coki over Magen's? Any other thoughts and comments?

Thanks in advance!

Do a discover scuba from one of the dive shops.

That non-certified 2 tank package sounds like a super deal! DW and I have been mulling over making the step from snorkel to scuba, so this could be the time to do it.

Any idea how long that particular session lasts, Bruce?

Well, a typical 2 tank dive trip lasts 3 to 4 hours depending on the travel time to the dive sites. If you like to snorkel, you will probably love scuba diving. I don't care much for snorkeling because I find it too restrictive. I really enjoy the freedom offered by scuba diving.

We had company in from the states and took them on the On Deck Racing. This was also my first experience with them. We had a blast! They pick you up at the same cruise ship dock and keep the groups small - around 6 per race boat. You are given the option of actually being part of the crew and taught on what to do. Once out of the harbor the race begins! Yelling and name-calling is a must to distract the other team, what a hoot! After the race is over, they take you back to the office where they serve a kick-butt rum punch (free of course) and you are able to mingle with the crew and other participants. Big screens present a slide show of your day and the slide presentation is offered to buy.

I would definately do it again and will take all my friends/family when they visit!

Laura,

Did you book this through the cruise line, or on your own?

Thanks!

Sarah

Archived