Cream Wars--real vs. (in)edible oil

kruznkanuk

I love my coffee... with cream. On the Galaxy in December I was most unhappy to discover non-diary creamer had replaced the real stuff on the buffet.. and I was not entirely sure about the stuff in the pitchers in the dining room at breakfast and lunch. This happened about 5 yrs ago on Mercury or Millenium, I forget which, but the last couple of cruises on Infinity were back to the real cream. For a "5 star" line, I think the use of fake cream is pathetic. It also happens to make me ill, so I am surely more concerned than most about this. But why not give a choice to the passengers? Is there anyone who really likes the non-dairy chemical version better? :confused:

I love my coffee... with cream. On the Galaxy in December I was most unhappy to discover non-diary creamer had replaced the real stuff on the buffet.. and I was not entirely sure about the stuff in the pitchers in the dining room at breakfast and lunch. This happened about 5 yrs ago on Mercury or Millenium, I forget which, but the last couple of cruises on Infinity were back to the real cream. For a "5 star" line, I think the use of fake cream is pathetic. It also happens to make me ill, so I am surely more concerned than most about this. But why not give a choice to the passengers? Is there anyone who really likes the non-dairy chemical version better? :confused:

I love my coffee too. Let me know when they start serving it on board.

I drink coffee for the caffene. Don't much care for the taste so I put in cream and sugar. Someone said that X serves pretty bad coffee, but I found it just like the stuff I drink on land. Starbucks seems about as good as X's, just takes more cream and sugar, same for McD's. But I do like REAL cream. Just got back from an RCI cruise and I had to search for the real stuff at the breakfast buffet, but found it in unmarked pitchers. Hopefully the real stuff will always be available because I do need that caffene!

• 3 weeks later...

A good point about the quality of the coffee generally. Lots of people on our roll call for the last cruise seemed to bring their own coffee maker.. a no-no but I doubt Celebrity has ever confiscated one. If they did that I guess they might have to start confiscating sweats and shorts on formal night, which would add to the entertainment on board!:D

Seems a bit expensive to book the Royal or Penthouse to get a fridge so you can keep some cream. Never thought of bringing my cow along!

Duplicate post... computer not happy... so might as well add one thing... some day they might figure out at X that diluting liquid coffee concentrate is not the same as fresh brewed. However, your butler can make it stronger or weaker if you ask but it can be an adventure. The day after we said it was a bit weak, we got caffeine syrup. Walked 37 laps around the deck that day...

some day they might figure out at X that diluting liquid coffee concentrate is not the same as fresh brewed.

Perhaps this applies to the coffee delivered to the room, but I can confidently say from first hand observation on Constellation, in the buffet, that the coffee is NOT made from liquid coffee concentrate, unless the thing on top of the coffee maker that is filled with ground coffee is just there for appearance sake?

On our cruise on the Connie: (B2B 1-28 to 2-18) I also noticed that there were grounds in a container in the brewers at the buffet area. However, they also had two large urns (comercial type) on a cart making the coffee.

All the coffee on the ship was too bitter for me (except Cova) and I resorted to tea instead.

The CD, said that along with some of the food changes there would be a coffee change, in the future plans.

Just a thought, could have something to do with deliveries for that particular cruise. I remember being on the Jewel of the Seas last year, the first 6 days of the cruise we had regular (real) cream for coffee. The last 4 days of the cruise we had the fake stuff. I asked one of the MaitreD's in the windjammer, and they told me that there was a delivery of food that never made it on the ship at the last port and that they always have the fake stuff o hand for that sort of mishap. Happy Crusing!

That would be me. My preference is for the powdered creamers. Strange, I know...

Think about how expensive the air fare would be for a cow.....

On taking a cow along... just better hope you don't have to go through US customs. To prevent the spread of Mad Cow disease they confiscated our dry kibble for our puppy last May when we drove from Canada to US. It was in a plastic baggie, not the original package, so any meat that might have been in it could not be identifed. Perhaps live cows are safer? Although if they are worried about mad cows, I think making the poor bovine sit on a flight on any commercial airline these days is enough to ensure we have a mad cow problem...:D

I'd like real cream, and real butter, too. I think, though, that it is usually real butter served on ships. Don't give me plastic spread; I buy real butter at home and want it while out. Sometimes I am out of luck, so just go without.

Shay

We bring our own coffee maker. Don't get upset, it isn't electrical. All you do it pour boiling water over it. It makes WAY better coffee than any pot we've tried (we are coffee snobs).

Both of these are great:

http://www.thekitchenstore.com/swgoonecupco.html

http://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Perfect-Brew-1-cup-Filter/dp/B000IJQX5E/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1203143046&sr=8-1

We grind our own beans and when not on vacation, grind them daily but on a cruise we'll grind them up ahead of time. Still 100x better than cruise ship coffee.

As for real cream, I'll be ticked if they don't have it.

Archived