S cabin question

We are trying to decide on a S cabin either on the Rotterdam deck or the Upper Promenade deck on the Oosterdam. The one on the rotterdam deck has the Concierge lounge, however, the cabin we are looking at on the upper promenade deck is in the back corner 4180 and we believe it has a wrap around deck.

Any opinions which one would be the better cabin?

Thanks

We had a suite on the Rotterdam Deckon the Oosterdam and booked suites on that same deck for our up-coming cruises on the Westerdam and Zuiderdam.

We like to be handy to the Neptune Lounge since we do use it a lot.

If you think that you won't be using it much and want a larger verandah, then 4180 would be better for you.

I wouldn't want to be carrying food down several decks either by the stairs or elevators and along the hallway.

For breakfast there is a choice of cereals, pasteries, fresh fruit, cheeses, meats, rolls, Muesli, coffees, teas, juices. Served from when the Neptune Lounge opens until around 11 AM.

Then small tea sandwiches are put out along with juices, cookies, chocolates. The sandwiches are made from one half of a small bagel. Others are wraps with various stuffings. Offered from 11 AM until 5 PM.

At 5 PM cold vegetables and appetizers are put out.

Tea, coffee, expresso, and capacinnos are available all day.

It strictly is a personal choice, but for us the Neptune Lounge and Concierge Service is the most important amenity of an S suite, so we always book a midship cabin near the NL. We pop in there all the time, so we would never book an aft S suite- too far away.

I think one serious misconception is that if you like a balcony you should book the aft, giving the impression that the midship verandah is very small. Not true at all- there are 2 loungers or 2 comfortable chairs w/ ottomans depending on the ship, a cocktail table between these lounge chairs, and a dining table with 4 dining chairs. So to us the midship suite gives us easy access to the NL, a more central location no matter where we are going on the ship, a spacious balcony, AND a larger cabin as the aft S cabin size is smaller.

We have had both The balcony is much more important to us You get more sun seeing as all the chair hogs take the chairs by the pool And the night time views are spectacular on the back of the ship

Deb

We will be in 6158 and our first aft suite. Neither one of us are sun worshipers but we love being out on our verandah especially in the mornings and at night.

What was your opinion of the Z and the service you got as a suite passenger?

We were on Oosterdam's sister ship Zuiderdam with 2 different mid ship

S class cabins 7055 and 7060 (BtoB) we were also friendly with a couple who were in 4180. Proximity to the Neptune lounge was a plus. The ability to stop in for a snack was worth its weight in gold. If I had a young child with me I could have had them fed with the little bits and pieces they like to eat right away without waiting in line in the Lido. The proximity to the conscierge service was also invaluable. They took care of traveler's check cashing, excursions and pretty much anything that you would normally have to go down to the front desk for. If I had had to run up from 4180 for this, I might have well gone and waited in line at the front desk.

Our friends in 4180 were less than happy. They liked the bigger deck, but didn't like the additional vibration of being on a lower deck over the engines. Also I think that because there are only two S class on that deck they missed out of some of the S class perks. No champagne in the cabin, no corsage, boutineer on first formal night. Also their stewart forgot their Mariner tiles and on one day even forget to clean their cabin. Now this may have been a problem with their particular stewart, but it also could have been out of sight out of mind.

I didnt think it was that hard to get something to eat anywhere on a ship,and all you have to do is pick up the phone and call conscierge if you want.There was vibration not that bad,and we recieved all the amenitys everyone else did.They are both excellent side or stern.For us it comes down to the balcony,and the great view. TOM

How anyone can be unhappy on a cruise ship is beyond me I really don't know what all the fuss is about the Neptune Lounge It's just a room with food and a person to answer questions If you don't like sun you won't like the aft cabins We pick them for that reason

Deb

We went with the cabin on the Rotterdam deck close to the Neptune lounge mainly for the reason someone mentioned regarding traveling with a child and having snacks available close by which will be nice. We also think it may be a little quieter on that deck given it is made up of mostly suites and there are probably less people given fewer cabins.

Thanks again for the comments.

We are going Dec 12th on the oosterdam. The price was too good to pass up. We are paying less for this suite than we did for the same room 4 years ago and we are traveling with our son now. We were trying to go on RCL or Disney because they are geared more toward kids, but this price was way too good to pass up and he is too young to participate in the kids programs anyway.

thanks

If you want the larger verandah take it. Keep in mind that the cabin itself is somewhat smaller on the stern S suites, however.

As for being farther from the Neptune Lounge, you can always call room service for meals and snacks.

(We found the cookies in the Neptune were better than in the lido. Which, for me at least, would be a good reason to be farther from the temptation.)

The Neptune Lounge is okay for those that will use it's services but for me, if I have a great room steward (and I make sure he/she knows what I expect from the gitgo), the suite cabin amenities and the size of my verandah is what really counts for us.

Sure there is a longer walk being in an aft cabin but I welcome that distance when one of my favorite past times while cruising is eating - shouldn't do one without the other :)

Each cruiser needs to take their own wants and needs into consideration when booking a certain location, catagory, ship.

Each cruiser is different and thus another reason for cruising - you get an opportunity to meet a wide variety of people and personalities.

• 2 weeks later...

One other thing to consider....

The aft suites aren't quite as big as the midship cabins..Probably a tradeoff for the bigger balcony.

Aft suites 5186 and 5187 have the most square footage of all aft suites but they are still about 30 sq feet smaller then midship suites.

We have these two cabins booked for January and can't wait..

Archived