Hair - time to change?

leela14

Hi everyone, I think this is my first post in this forum although I read it religiously.

We are booking a 13 day Med cruise for May.

I'll admit I'm very high maintenance. It takes me forever to get ready for work in the morning, I spend about 30 minutes on makeup and 30 on my hair and another 30 showering and picking out my outfit. I can do minimal makeup, but I love it and it's one of the more enjoyable 30 minutes of my day - I would love to be a makeup artist, but I digress. ;-)

I'm thinking about the cruise and how I do not want to spend so much time fussing with my hair every morning. Right now it's long and my only alternative for no-fussing is a ponytail or wearing it down and ultra straight all the time, which to be honest, I'm sick to death of. A part of me has wanted shorter hair for some time now, and the cruise seems to be helping me push that along.

I'm scared to death though. I'm 45 and have NEVER had short hair. I get lots of compliments on my hair, and I'm kind of attached to it. I was thinking of going a bit shorter for a few cuts until the cruise.

Has anyone gone from long to short hair and loved it? Is shorter hair easier to work with and more versatile? Of course I'll go over all this with my stylist (who I've been with for 8 years, and completely trust) but just wanted some other opinions.

THANKS!

Hi everyone, I think this is my first post in this forum although I read it religiously.

I'll admit I'm very high maintenance. It takes me forever to get ready for work in the morning, I spend about 30 minutes on makeup and 30 on my hair and another 30 showering and picking out my outfit. I can do minimal makeup, but I love it and it's one of the more enjoyable 30 minutes of my day - I would love to be a makeup artist, but I digress. ;-)

I'm thinking about the cruise and how I do not want to spend so much time fussing with my hair every morning. Right now it's long and my only alternative for no-fussing is a ponytail or wearing it down and ultra straight all the time, which to be honest, I'm sick to death of. A part of me has wanted shorter hair for some time now, and the cruise seems to be helping me push that along.

I'm scared to death though. I'm 45 and have NEVER had short hair. I get lots of compliments on my hair, and I'm kind of attached to it. I was thinking of going a bit shorter for a few cuts until the cruise.

Has anyone gone from long to short hair and loved it? Is shorter hair easier to work with and more versatile? Of course I'll go over all this with my stylist (who I've been with for 8 years, and completely trust) but just wanted some other opinions.

THANKS!

Being that yours is straight it would be a lot easier to care for long. If you go shorter a pony tail may not be an option. I have very thick hair and very wavy hair. I've had short hair for almost 20 years now and it takes me about 45 minutes to wash, style, and curl-straighten my hair every morning. I wake up with really bad bed head:eek: so I do have to take care of it every morning. How long is your hair? How short do you wnat to go?

THANKS!

Being that yours is straight it would be a lot easier to care for long. If you go shorter a pony tail may not be an option. I have very thick hair and very wavy hair. I've had short hair for almost 20 years now and it takes me about 45 minutes to wash, style, and curl-straighten my hair every morning. I wake up with really bad bed head:eek: so I do have to take care of it every morning. How long is your hair? How short do you wnat to go?

THANKS!

Here are a couple of pictures of the styles I have in mind. Anyone have a style like this - is it lower maintenance than long hair? Looks like you could throw on a headband or something and these would still look really cute.

I hope the attachements work. . .

Picture1.jpg.896de82eb0844dc253449de82e4a55cb.jpg

Picture2.jpg.39fde17f5346f7cb38f0d9e0038a3337.jpg

My hair is layered but at the longest it's just below my bra strap in the back. I have bangs which are driving me nuts that I want to grow out. I love the look, and bangs are sooooo in right now, but I have a cows lick and every morning there is a major battle as to who is going to win. Lately it's been the cows lick. Another thing I can't imagine fighting every morning on a cruise.

For any of you who have beautiful sexy bangs that you don't have to fight with - I hate you and and totally envious. ;)

I wish I had a photo of my hair, but I'm at work, all my photos are home.

I am also 45 and just recently cut my hair very similiar to the first photo that you posted! Mine is a little longer in the front than in the back- the back is quite short and I wear it flipped up, it is very layered in the back. I have never had short hair my whole life and I love it! My long hair just seemed very limp and now it seems like I have twice as much as before. I think it is because all the unhealty dry ends were cut off.

My husband even likes it and he was not real happy when I told him I was cutting it off. It has been 2 weeks and I think I will go even just a bit shorter when I get it cut next. I wear it very full at the crown then it goes to about my chin in the front. My neck shows in the back! It takes me half the time to style as I use mostly the hair dryer with a big round brush. Apparantly the flat iron is what damaged my hair before so I am trying to use it as little as possible.

I say go for it! If you hate it you can always grow it back.:)

Househunter - the style you described is the very one that got me thinking about going short! I'm so jealous. I know I don't have the guts to go that short right away, that's why I'm thinking of doing it gradually - a few inches at a time.

Does it feel more sophisticated as well? I feel like I'm ready for a more "grown up" hairstyle, but I'm so scared I'll see someone with long blonde curly hair and totally regret what I did. You have no regrets?

It would take a looooong time to grow it back though, that's why I want to be sure. So, no regrets at all? Not even when you see women with long hair? I remember once just going a bit shorter and people saying "oh, why did you cut your hair, it was gorgeous". It was nowhere near as much as the cut I'm thinking of now. Even the other day I mentioned to someone I was thinking of cutting it, and she said I was nuts, that my hair was gorgeous. I'm so scared. :-(

My hair is fine, but there is a lot of it, it curls really well if I curl it, and straightens really well if I straighten it, so it's really versatile. And yet I'm sick of it.

I'd love to see a picture. :-) I can give you my email address if you had one to send me!

I don't have a photo yet but I am a Realtor and need an updated one soon for my business cards. I will send you one when I get them if you want.

No I don't regret it at all. I still would not call it "short" as it still moves when I shake my head. I could still even put it up if I wanted. My hair was fine but I have alot of it. I had been trying to grow it longer for years but it just looked so limp and boring. Now that it is shorter it just seems like I finally have so much hair! It definatly looks much more polished and professional than it did before. But I would call it "big hair" now as I wear it so full on the crown.

I love it!:)

I had been growing my hair for a few years--it was about to my bra strap. I was so sick of it but for some reason didn't want to cut it. I finally did--back to the length it was in 2004, just below my chin, in a slightly layer bob (no bangs--haven't had those since I was 15) I've received SOOO many compliments, it takes me NO time to get ready in the morning, and I think I look about 10 years younger......I can't make the decision for you--it was a hard decision for me--but now that's it's done I can't imagine why I didn't do it sooner:rolleyes:

I just cut my hair last night. I had hair that was a little past my shoulders, and just kinda did nothing. I had been trying to grow it out, but I always go back to short, It suits me better. I actually know how to style short hair. I did an angled bob..... Short int he back, and longer in the front, I get nervous if the hair around my face is too short, so I love this style. Here is a picture:

reflectionshair3.jpg

Gorgeous style ava!! Very chic. Now I've always had the opposite problem. My hairdresser always jokes that as long as my hair is long in the back she can do whatever she wants in front, I love my hair hanging down my back, it makes me feel feminine and sexy, that's what I'm scared to lose.

I'm so torn, on one side of the coin I'm SICK TO DEATH of my hair and on the other side of the coin, I know it's pretty and it suits me, and it would take years to get it this long again.

I guess I have to do it in increments, it's the only thing that makes sense.

Hoyaheel - I've thought about looking younger as well. Many people associate looking younger with long hair, but sometimes it can be the exact opposite.

Well my next appt. with my stylist is March 1, I see her every 8 weeks for highlights and a trim. She'll certainly be able to help with the decision, and if she feels I'm not ready, she won't do it.

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I had long hair down to the middle of my back, and just got it cut short this past summer. I went with an inverted bob. Do a search online for photos. I love it! You don't need anything but a round brush and a hair dryer. And on days when it doesn't have to be perfect, I just tuck the sides behind my ears! Good luck with your decision!

Here are a couple of pictures of the styles I have in mind. Anyone have a style like this - is it lower maintenance than long hair? Looks like you could throw on a headband or something and these would still look really cute.

I hope the attachements work. . .

Google a current picture of Jenny McCarthy, she has the cutest haircut! I just had my shoulder length hair cut last weekend (similiar to Jenny's) and it is one of the BEST haircuts I've ever had. I've had tons of compliments and it is SO much easier to take care of. Good luck with whatever you decide to do:)

Cut it!! it's only hair, have fun with it. I cannot understand why some women get so attached to one style. It is not a uniform you have to wear. It is an accessory so do something different!

Kelly

That's always been my feeling but a very good friend has had the same cut exactly for the past 25 years or so, no changes. Since she has gotten older and her face is quite different, it looks very dated IMO. But, I once took her to my stylist for a cut which I thought was just adorable and very current as well as flattering and she complained about it for months. She grew it right back into her normal bob.

I no longer try to influence people when it comes to hair. I guess we all see different things when we look in the mirror. Me, I am always ready for a new look:).

I was in the same boats as you ... i have/had long, straight, flat hair ...

but i am low maintenance .... i either braid it, pony tail it, or leave it hang.

I had been hemmin and hawin for a few weeks and today just got it cut.

I told my "gal" that i wanted a 'shake and go' hair style.

she left my bangs a lil long, but told me if i wanted to have a quick snip before the cruise, just to drop by.

She didnt style it at all, so i could see how it is not having to do anything with it.... so far i really do like it. and it's still long enough that Dh didnt flip out. [he did last time i chopped it all off ... luckily my hair grows fast]

I too say cut it ... it will grow back.

I no longer try to influence people when it comes to hair. I guess we all see different things when we look in the mirror. Me, I am always ready for a new look:).

I agree...hair can be a MAJOR deal with a lot of women...I've seen a lot of women cry when they decide to cut their hair. I always change my style, color...even which side I part my hair on...all part of the fun.

To me it's an accessory and, like my clothes, needs to be updated as I get older and my personal style changes.

I found some photos that are pretty close to how I got my hair cut. It is very similar in the front to the blonde except for the length. The bangs and the crown are the same as mine. The length and the back of mine is just like the brunette one! I do like it very much!

hairstyle_StraightShort24.jpg.161282982001a2f56b77bfbbc0f9c087.jpg

hairstyle_StraightMedium16r.jpg.1d1937022bdf741ed399e119834719dc.jpg

It is a sensitive topic for women isnt it? It can be what seems like the most important decision of your life when deciding what to do with your hair (to some of us). I was a beautician in a previous life (before I went back to get my RN) and part of the reason I became a beautician was to "find" the secret in fixing the mess that is my hair:o . Oh and as I mentioned regarding people taking their hair seriously, once while I was working in a salon a customer came in to have "a change" and she decided to cut her hair short and have a new style. Well when she went home her DH did not like it so she came back to the salon and HIT my manager (the person that did her hair):eek: and continued to tell her she would sue her. Oh well you never know ...... Good luck with whatever you do OP.

I think you should go for it- find a few pictures of the style you are considering & take the plunge! You may as well go all the way into the style you want instead of bit by bit. I've tried that & always end up re-cutting within a month to the style I wanted anyhow. Don't forget, you can also donate your long hair to Locks of Love- they make wigs for kids who have lost hair due to chemo.

Here's that website if you are interested...

http://locksoflove.org/

The reason I worried about cutting my hair is that I didn't know what I wanted to do with it--NOT because I was attached to it. I'm so un-attached to my hair that I don't even have a "regular" salon--it's only hair, if someone screws it up, it'll grow back:p

On the other hand--some women have found the perfect look, and why mess with perfection--Anna Wintour anyone??

. Oh and as I mentioned regarding people taking their hair seriously, once while I was working in a salon a customer came in to have "a change" and she decided to cut her hair short and have a new style. Well when she went home her DH did not like it so she came back to the salon and HIT my manager (the person that did her hair):eek: and continued to tell her she would sue her. Oh well you never know ...... Good luck with whatever you do OP.

This situation wasn't about hair, it was about abuse, a bad marriage and anger management. I don't understand what advice you want the OP to get from your post.

To the OP,

I agree with the "it's just hair" opinion. If you think you'd like it, give it a try. You can grow it out again if it's not for you.

That said, I wouldn't wait until just before your cruise. If you don't like it and/or find that it's a lot more work for upkeep than you thought, you might not enjoy having to fuss with a new look while on vacation, especially where water, climate and time schedules are different than at home day to day.

I recommend that if you're going to do it, do it now so that you have time to get used to it and play with it. You may find you prefer it a tiny bit shorter or longer. Cutting it now will give you options before your cruise, but cutting it right before going away, limits them.

Archived