Hair - time to change?

leela14

I always wore my hair to mid back with bangs. It would do absolutely nothing for me, but people did compliment on how shiny it was. Big deal! Then about 5 years ago, I got brave and had it cut. I absolutely loved it. I changed the color slightly, and I felt like a whole new person. For whatever reason though, my hair dresser went downhill and stopped paying attention. I got tired of getting something different everytime I walked in there.

I have been going to a few different places, with mostly long hair, until last night. I tried a new place, a new style and a new color. I am thrilled to pieces! I'm not "attached" to my hair - I feel that beauty comes from within, and when you like how you look, it shows.

You ultimately have to do what is best for you. I will only say that changes are good to make. They bring out a whole new side in you and can really be a source of inspiration. As silly as it sounds, my new hair style gives me confidence. When I have a few more seconds, I will try and post before and after pictures.

Do whatever feels good for you!

I had long hair when I was younger, chopped it off and instantly regretted it.

To this day I'll change my color and my style but I will not lose my length.

(BTW just went from being a curly headed blonde for the past 13 years back to my natural brunette! Get tons of remarks on how much better it looks! Was red for a short while before the blonde).

(BTW just went from being a curly headed blonde for the past 13 years back to my natural brunette! Get tons of remarks on how much better it looks! Was red for a short while before the blonde).

Gee, nothing like your friends telling you how bad you've been looking for the past 13 years!!! LOL!!!

But I'm glad you like the new look. Bet you had to buy all new make-up!

8thlivewire,

Would you have any pix of your hairstyle -- either you or a just a pic of the style? My hair sounds like yours, but mine is currently to the bottom of my neck. I can't decide what to do with it -- have been flat ironing it for a while.

Or could you just describe a bit more?

Here are a couple of pictures of the styles I have in mind. Anyone have a style like this - is it lower maintenance than long hair? Looks like you could throw on a headband or something and these would still look really cute.

I hope the attachements work. . .

I too am 45 and my hair is similar to the first picture as well. I have very fine straight hair. i grew my hair last year so I could wear it up for my daughters wedding but I have gone back to the shorter style now.

I can still put it into a tiny little pony tail for when I am doing sport etc.

To style it only takes about 5 minutes because of the layers etc. (plus my hair dries very quickly) just a little bit of product and I start drying it with my head upside down, this gives it body, then with a really large brush I blow dry turning under. So simple. My hair usually flops very quickly but with the cut it tends to look like it has a bit of body to it.

Good luck with your decision!! :) :)

I feel that beauty comes from within, and when you like how you look, it shows. . .

You ultimately have to do what is best for you. . .

Do whatever feels good for you!

You really said it right, Laurspag. As much as long hair looks beautiful, for me, it was a constant battle keeping my wavy hair under control, and I hated the constant fussing with implements and products - and the time this routine took. I'm a generally a low-maintenance girl, and I don't regret my decision several years ago to go short (yes, really short -above the ears). I get a cut every 4 weeks and my hair is literally wash and go now. For change, my stylist does does different things with color and highlights.

I especially love my wash and go cut when travelling (land or cruise). I can really pack light - No hair products (except shampoo and conditioner), rollers, curling irons, etc. and I much prefer spending the time I've saved on maintenence routine just enjoying my vacation.

Love this post and had to join in. I've recently been battling over what to do with my hair. Unfortunately, for the past few months I've been noticing some significant hair loss so my hair is thinning rapidly. I have an appointment with the dermatologist in June so can't really do anything about that until then. But I have been reading a lot about it and some people recommend cutting your hair to make it look fuller! I haven't really found a cut I want. My hair is straight and just past my shoulders with bangs - which make some hair cuts difficult since almost all pictures I see they don't have bangs!! I'm thinking layers and bringing it up to just the top of my shoulders??

I'm kind of getting sick of the long hair thing anyway. I seem to always just be putting it up in a clip or ponytail!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Buckeye7 !

I'm going to try to post some before and after pics of my hair. There are 2 before - one curly and one blown out straight (which I never attempted myself ! It took my hair stylist about 1/2 hour to do it !) - it looked nice that way, but WAY too much work for me ! The other pic is after. Like I said before - my hair is very thick and naturally curly - it was just getting to be too much for me and I always pulled it up. So I figured - what's the sense in having long hair if it's always up ?! I really like my new style - it's so easy !:D

1765841391_Hairafter.jpg.b3804c88d44e58421dfdb513c5582d0a.jpg

2046145676_Hairbefore-blownout.jpg.6226a71b50134461eb149b2918e8ec0e.jpg

930240526_Hairbefore-curly.jpg.ebd8694b28f989a988fc702c7d85ef16.jpg

Gee, nothing like your friends telling you how bad you've been looking for the past 13 years!!! LOL!!!

But I'm glad you like the new look. Bet you had to buy all new make-up!

Welcome to my hell!

OMG I when I was a brunette before, I wore green and peach eye shadow.

This is a nightmare.

Some of my friends thought I was a natural blonde (as if). They were shocked.

How about getting your hair french braided for the cruise? The ship can be a very windy place. There will be a beauty salon on the ship if you need to have it redone. I know that french braids are a little out of style, but it might be easier to care for. My kids have wavy/curly long hair and one had her hair done in cornrows halfway back and then left the rest loose for her prom in 2001. Once again, I know this is an old look, but if you go up on the uppermost level of the ship and go to the front, then you'll have windblown hair, it's like a hurricane up there. Don't stress the hair thing. I agree, leave it long for now, but find a style that keeps it in place.

8thlivewire,

I just wrote a whole response and tried to post it, when POOF, it was gone....arrgghh.

Anyway, thanks so much for posting your pix -- very cute! I can imagine how freeing it feels to not have to spend so much time drying your hair. I can see why you are happy with it! I want to be able to go curly sometimes and flatiron it sometimes -- I guess the best of both worlds.

Thanks again for posting! Enjoy your cute cut!

Love this post and had to join in. I've recently been battling over what to do with my hair. Unfortunately, for the past few months I've been noticing some significant hair loss so my hair is thinning rapidly. I have an appointment with the dermatologist in June so can't really do anything about that until then. But I have been reading a lot about it and some people recommend cutting your hair to make it look fuller! I haven't really found a cut I want. My hair is straight and just past my shoulders with bangs - which make some hair cuts difficult since almost all pictures I see they don't have bangs!! I'm thinking layers and bringing it up to just the top of my shoulders??

I'm kind of getting sick of the long hair thing anyway. I seem to always just be putting it up in a clip or ponytail!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Looks like you didn't get a reply to your post- I am not medically trained or a hairdresser but I would have thought the weight of your hair if it is long could be adding to the problem and a good cut could only do it good I am sure a good hairdresser would be the best person to speak to - it will be fun experimenting and looking for some new styles that would suit your face. I know what you mean about the ponytail or clip thing, it is so easy just to do this that is why I had my hair cut - it got really boring. I have to ask have been looking it up are "bangs" what we call a "fringe" in the UK I am really intrigued?

Hi eveyone,

I'm the original poster of this thread, and haven't posted in a while, but since the thread is still active, I thought I'd post an update.

I did get my hair done on March 1 and posted that very night in a separate thread that I hated my hair, but since then I've gotten used to it and I now absolutely love it.

I certainly did not go for any kind of a big change. I got all of 2 inches cut off, and got some strawberry blonde highlights put in along with the regular light blonde and lowlight that my stylist does. Even this was a big change for me and initially I hated it, but within a week I loved it. I no longer spend so much time on my hair. I can blow dry and straighten it in about 7 minutes and it really does look great, I still get compliments on it, so it's all good.

I now know that I don't have the guts to make a drastic change, and seeing how I reacted to the small changes I made just reinforced that. When the times comes when I want to go shorter or make a more drastic color change, I will have to do it in increments, I don't do well with big changes to my appearance, that's just me.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and contributions to the thread and it's nice to see it sparked some interesting conversation.

Hi eveyone,

I'm the original poster of this thread, and haven't posted in a while, but since the thread is still active, I thought I'd post an update.

I did get my hair done on March 1 and posted that very night in a separate thread that I hated my hair, but since then I've gotten used to it and I now absolutely love it.

I certainly did not go for any kind of a big change. I got all of 2 inches cut off, and got some strawberry blonde highlights put in along with the regular light blonde and lowlight that my stylist does. Even this was a big change for me and initially I hated it, but within a week I loved it. I no longer spend so much time on my hair. I can blow dry and straighten it in about 7 minutes and it really does look great, I still get compliments on it, so it's all good.

I now know that I don't have the guts to make a drastic change, and seeing how I reacted to the small changes I made just reinforced that. When the times comes when I want to go shorter or make a more drastic color change, I will have to do it in increments, I don't do well with big changes to my appearance, that's just me.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and contributions to the thread and it's nice to see it sparked some interesting conversation.

Thanks for posting on this again. I was very curious to what the outcome was. Sorry to hear that you didnt take that big step. But at least you tried something new. :)

Hi all,

Congrats on the new hair dew glad to here you love it, dont you feel great.

well if any ladies are looking to get an idea what you would look like with different hair style i went to this site it was great, you down load your pic and pick styles, color it does it all, it made me get my hair cut and i havent done that in 8 yrs my little trim here and there that i would do but i never trusted anybody to really cut and i cut and dyed lol i felt great. but try this site www.makeoversoutions.com;)

I'll be 42 this month and I have extremely naturally curly, thick hair ! It was just below shoulder length and has been that length or longer for years ! We are cruising in April and have cruised a few times before. On our previous cruises, unless my hair was pulled up, if I walked on deck and then walked back inside - I looked like a lion !! :D As soon as the wind hit me - it just went poof ! I didn't want to put up with that on this cruise !

Hi, you don't happen to have a photo of your new haircut do you? I ask because I have been trying to decide whether to go short or not. I too, have naturally thick thick thick curly auburn hair.

:) hi2you - I did post some pictures of my hair on post #59 of this thread ! Funny thing is I just had it cut about 4 weeks ago and I'm dying to get it cut again ! I'm going to wait until next week - we leave on our cruise next weekend ! Can't wait !

• 1 month later...
I think you should go for it- find a few pictures of the style you are considering & take the plunge! You may as well go all the way into the style you want instead of bit by bit. I've tried that & always end up re-cutting within a month to the style I wanted anyhow. Don't forget, you can also donate your long hair to Locks of Love- they make wigs for kids who have lost hair due to chemo.

Here's that website if you are interested...

http://locksoflove.org/

Actually, those wigs seldom are for chemo patients. They are principally for those with alopecia aerata. Most people think it's for cancer patients and that gets donations, so the charity rarely does anything to dispel the notion. Oprah, Maury, and many others love to chop off people's long hair for ratings, but the women are being duped/shamed into cutting in many instances. If you do some googling (look up Locks of Love and New York Times, for one thing) and math you'll find that the odds of a hair donation ending up on a child's head are about 0%-5%.

Archived