Hair - time to change?

leela14

Well since I started this thread I thought now that it's been brought forward again, I may as well post an update.

I had my hair done again on Saturday by the same stylist. I got a lot more red highlights put in it this time AND I LOVE it, and I've been getting a lot of compliments on the color. I'm still officially a blonde, but the red highlights are really, really pretty. I also got another inch cut off, so that's three inches in total. I had a problem with my stylist doing too many layers, so we had a nice long chat about this on Saturday, and I'm much happier with this cut than I was with the one 8 weeks ago.

So I love the style, the color and am totally ready to go cruising next Thursday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a hairstylist, who is a genius with color and haircutting. My hair has NEVER looked better, I get compliments all the time. Until I went to this particular stylist I got my hair cut once a year. At the time it was to my waist. Now typically it hangs out between my bra line and 2 inches below.

Went to get my hair highlighted and lowlighted this week and to get a 'trim'. My trim turned into 5-6 inches and layered. I am sooo....well I feel naked. I'm not sure what happened. I don't know if we got busy talking and she forgot we were just nipping up the ends or what. Now, its shoulder length and layered and because my hair is wavy its really boofy, and I look in the mirror and don't look like myself. And it seems to take me longer to style it, and it doesn't 'stay' styled, the layers just boing right back up. I'm so grateful summer is just about here and I can wear it in a pony tail (with bobby pins to catch all the stray pieces now...so annoying), and that a year from now it will be longer again.

I can appreciate anyone wanting a change, but when the change is made for you its really shocking, I guess would be the word.

I will be bringing this up to her the next time I see her. Sometimes I feel like if you give stylists the okay for an inch, they take a mile. But now it has me leary as to when to get my hair 'trimmed' before our cruise. (next April). Because if what happened to me this week,happened right before we left I'd be freaking out. Not that I'm not having meltdown moments as it is.

How blessed am I that this is my biggest concern right now? I just miss feeling like myself.

k,done whining. thanks for reading and letting me lament.

I have a hairstylist, who is a genius with color and haircutting. My hair has NEVER looked better, I get compliments all the time. Until I went to this particular stylist I got my hair cut once a year. At the time it was to my waist. Now typically it hangs out between my bra line and 2 inches below.

Went to get my hair highlighted and lowlighted this week and to get a 'trim'. My trim turned into 5-6 inches and layered. I am sooo....well I feel naked. I'm not sure what happened. I don't know if we got busy talking and she forgot we were just nipping up the ends or what. Now, its shoulder length and layered and because my hair is wavy its really boofy, and I look in the mirror and don't look like myself. And it seems to take me longer to style it, and it doesn't 'stay' styled, the layers just boing right back up. I'm so grateful summer is just about here and I can wear it in a pony tail (with bobby pins to catch all the stray pieces now...so annoying), and that a year from now it will be longer again.

I can appreciate anyone wanting a change, but when the change is made for you its really shocking, I guess would be the word.

I will be bringing this up to her the next time I see her. Sometimes I feel like if you give stylists the okay for an inch, they take a mile. But now it has me leary as to when to get my hair 'trimmed' before our cruise. (next April). Because if what happened to me this week,happened right before we left I'd be freaking out. Not that I'm not having meltdown moments as it is.

How blessed am I that this is my biggest concern right now? I just miss feeling like myself.

k,done whining. thanks for reading and letting me lament.

Try making twists and rolls where you roll your shorter sections inside longer ones. You might want to look at these books:

http://www.amazon.com/Hair-Braiding-Styles-Scrunchies-Klutz/dp/1570540187/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211150509&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Hair-Elegant-Styles-Occasion/dp/1402747365/ref=pd_bbs_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211150577&sr=8-4

Another help might be to buy an inexpensive synthetic hairpiece.

Good luck growing your hair back out. I'd advise you to let that stylist know you are unhappy and why, and if she does not understand, don't go back to her. If you want your hair long, you have a right to wear it that way!

A good way to find a trustworthy stylist is to ask someone with similar hair to yours that is the length you want, who does hers.

I always had long hair until I gave 12 inches of it to locks for love 4 years ago! After I did that I realized how much easier it was to take care of short hair. I did keep growing it though, and recently I gave 11 inches to locks for love again. Since my hair cut, I've had many people tell me that I look better with shorter hair. They say it makes me look younger. And, it certainly takes at least 20 minutes out of my morning in getting ready.

I always had long hair until I gave 12 inches of it to locks for love 4 years ago! After I did that I realized how much easier it was to take care of short hair. I did keep growing it though, and recently I gave 11 inches to locks for love again. Since my hair cut, I've had many people tell me that I look better with shorter hair. They say it makes me look younger. And, it certainly takes at least 20 minutes out of my morning in getting ready.

Do realize that Locks of Love makes very, very few wigs relative to the number of donations that they get.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/06/fashion/06locks.html?ex=1346817600&en=e6f21bec5cef8ca0&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

Do realize that Locks of Love makes very, very few wigs relative to the number of donations that they get.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/06/fashion/06locks.html?ex=1346817600&en=e6f21bec5cef8ca0&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

I certainly realize that. Obviously, it takes more than one person's hair to make a wig. But, I still believe it's worth it to donate.

Try making twists and rolls where you roll your shorter sections inside longer ones. You might want to look at these books:

http://www.amazon.com/Hair-Braiding-Styles-Scrunchies-Klutz/dp/1570540187/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211150509&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Hair-Elegant-Styles-Occasion/dp/1402747365/ref=pd_bbs_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211150577&sr=8-4

Another help might be to buy an inexpensive synthetic hairpiece.

Good luck growing your hair back out. I'd advise you to let that stylist know you are unhappy and why, and if she does not understand, don't go back to her. If you want your hair long, you have a right to wear it that way!

A good way to find a trustworthy stylist is to ask someone with similar hair to yours that is the length you want, who does hers.

Thank you for your input and not only that but for the links you sent along as well. I think I'll definately be trying a few of the styles shown, and try your suggestion as well. And, if all else fails, head bands and pony tails it is. I can't decide if what I'm having trouble with is the layering, or maybe where the layers hit. Ah not important. In a year I hope to have my Giselle Bunchen hair back. Note...just the hair, not the 6ft. of legs on that woman. :)

Thanks again!

I had short layered hair until this past summer when I decided to grow it out and now have a short bob, which is very popular right now. It is easy to care for and you don't have to do alot for formal occasions, maybe a little fuller using spray or a larger round brush. If you have alot of body to your hair, this is a good cut.

I love this thread and I have two comments.

First, if you are thinking of cutting your hair shorter- go for it! I think people should have fun with their hair and change up their styles often. Also, it will grow back if you don't like it! I also think shorter hair looks healthier and generally looks better as we age. The cuts that the OP posted really aren't even short IMHO.

Second, about donating hair, I was surprise dot see from the article the quantity of hair that is rejected. One should take notice that much of that is because it does not meet the guidelines. I had saved a pony tail from when my hair reached my waist and I donated it eventually. I don't really care if they sold it or had to throw it away . . . what else was I going to do with it!?! I also don't care whether is goes to someone with cancer or to someone who needs a wig for another reason. I don't think the latter is any less worthy. It does seem that there is a little propoganda and misconception with the public events and they should probably only allow it for people whose hair at least meet the criteria.

My DD who has beautiful thick, wavy, blonde hair halfway down her back had her hair cut this morning at a school assembly and she donated it "Locks of Love". I have not seen it yet, I will meet her at my stylist in about an hour and he will style her hair out. I am very worried about her reaction as she has always had this beautiful long hair. I am sure there were tears! I am proud of her for doing it however!

My DD who has beautiful thick, wavy, blonde hair halfway down her back had her hair cut this morning at a school assembly and she donated it "Locks of Love". I have not seen it yet, I will meet her at my stylist in about an hour and he will style her hair out. I am very worried about her reaction as she has always had this beautiful long hair. I am sure there were tears! I am proud of her for doing it however!

Wow, you should be proud of her. It takes a lot of guts to do something like that in front of the entire school!

You should be proud! Let us know how her hair turned out.

I don't like that hair donations are being made at school assemblies. My guess is that a lot of girls who would really rather keep their long hair are being pressured to donate it, and I think this is not fair to those girls. Hair donation is a noble and unselfish act, but that doesn't mean flocks of girls should be shorn in public like a bunch of sheep, especially if it makes them cry. It would not surprise me if these donors were throroughly convinced by someone adult, or by multiple adults, that their hair will wind up on the head of a child who has cancer. I am guessing that this is why they were willing to do it, and that if told, "donate your hair, there's a 5% chance that it will be made into a wig for a bald child," they would not be so eager to do it. There is an element of exploitation of these donors' innocence that I find disturbing. They should not be pressured to donate just for the sake of donating, especially if their hair is very dear to them.

If a child worked hard to raise money for a charity, which turned out to use just a fraction of the funds for its intended purpose, wouldn't there be outrage?

i'm not sure if know about weaves or lace front wigs ,but both are water proof hehe and you can wash your hair natural hair with a weave! its a great way to experience a short do with out cutting your hair and if you dont like the new look you can always take it out ! good luck !

Archived