Ryndam's Category H - Will we hate it?

ltsally

OK- so there's a buyer-beware lesson here, I guess, but we're booked into a category H gty for our March Sea of Cortez cruise. Our choice was made mainly in price, I guess - but also based on the 'large outside' category description. Only now do I finally have a HAL brochure in hand, to discover the location of the H cabins - at the very, very front of the ship (guess we better hope for smooth seas!) - and with only portholes. I'm pretty bummed, and would like to hear from anyone who has had one of these cabins....

No sense starting out "bummed". I suggest you call your TA and change your reservation to at least an FF (to get away from the portholes) or an E to get further from the bow.

We had FF712 on the Veendam and I won't ever go that far forward on the A deck again because of the loud bow wake noise we had all night.

Oh dear:( Hadn't even considered a noise issue!

We have been hoping for a visit from the upgrade fairy, now more so than ever.

What about once we're on-board -- if we wind up in one of the H cabins, is it possible to obtain an upgrade (paid for, obviously), assuming something better is available?

I would not count on anything being available once on board - those Sea of Cortez cruises are very popular and usually are sell outs. The location is probably worse that just having a porthole because, particularly on the return from Cabo up the Baja to SanDiego you will be bucking the stong current that runs from north to south and can often make for a bumpy ride. And there is nowhere you feel that more than right up in the bow.

We have had an H and it wasn't all that bad. We like the motion of the ocean though so it didn't bother us. I haven't seen upgrades available at boarding for years now. We found the sussurations of the waves against the bow very soothing.

We found the sussurations of the waves against the bow very soothing.
We had one of the forward cabins for 14 days and never were bothered by noise.
Well ... all I can say is bring some earplugs just in case!! We didn't, and there were none to be had onboard. I think DW and I didn't sleep more than 4 hours each of the first 3 nights due to the constant roar and the hard slapping of the bow against the waves. (This was in about 8-10 foot seas.) We finally got a little used to it. DW is a light sleeper, but I can ordinarily sleep through noise. This I could not.

We have had an H and it wasn't all that bad. We like the motion of the ocean though so it didn't bother us. I haven't seen upgrades available at boarding for years now. We found the sussurations of the waves against the bow very soothing.

sussuration (plural sussurations)

1. A faint, indistinct, or background sound resembling whispering.

I love learning new words! Thanks.

Archived