Local Travel Agent, Cruise Line or Internet Agency?

holidaybound

How do most people book their cruises?

A local travel agent that I used in the past and is very helpful has quoted me a price 10-15% higher than what the cruise line has on their website and from the online agents.

I realize it is probably a tough time for travel agents and I would like to give him business if possible. On the other hand I would prefer to have the savings to spend on other aspects of the holiday such as tours.

Your advice appreciated.

We go directly to the cruiseline. That way, any problems or questions we may have can be dealt with immediately without going through a 3rd party. If you book with a TA, most cruiselines will NOT talk to you--you'll have to relay messages through the TA! And if you happen to get a TA that is non-responsive..... You get the picture!

I check several online TA's for prices, and then call my local TA. She always meets or beats the best price I found.

I would not pay 10-15% extra to a local TA. Tell him/her the best price you found and ask if they can do it.

The first time, being a total novice, I used a PVP. After that, I've used nothing but online TA's (only selecting one attached to a brick and mortar TA though). If you are a high maintenance customer, you might use a local TA. If all you want to do is book and go, stay online.

I personally don't mess with price matches as if someone cannot give me their best deal up front I don't use them. I do shop a cruise pretty hard so it is a tad time consuming but that is something I'm willing to do. Anyway, do what you feel is best and have a good deal of comfort doing. Good luck.

If you wish to use the local TA perhaps you should ask why the price is higher with him/her.

A local TA here in my town ,a well known agency, employs "part time staff" so getting your questions answered often has to wait until that person is working - no one else is allowed to deal with you. I tried using them, the staffer I got claimed "all inside cabins are sold out " -this was a lie to get me to buy a higher priced cabin to increase the commision. Another remark was "why would you want to cruise on that stuffy line" .

I did not use the agency.

I do use a TA but not on line , just one in a town in another part of the state.

Using the cruise line for booking, does mean doing awy with the third person, but you are still taking a chance on the service you get, Staffer "A" could be great, but then you get staffer"B" who is hopeless.

Archived