What is this "cabin guarantee" business

MISSSNOOPYGIRL

I'm real confused as to what all this cabin assignment lingo means. I never book my cruises, my husband does.

What does it mean when it says, "guarantee?" And how do upgrades work? I have already received my docs with my cabin number. Is this set in stone or is there a possibility we can be upgraded? My husband has cruised Carnival 5 times.

Booking Guarantee just means you don't book a specific cabin, but a minimum gty'd category.

Carnival will put you in any open cabin in that category or higher depending on the whims of the upgrade fairy.

If you book a specific cabin, chances are 99% that is the cabin you will end up in.

I'm real confused as to what all this cabin assignment lingo means. I never book my cruises, my husband does.

What does it mean when it says, "guarantee?" And how do upgrades work? I have already received my docs with my cabin number. Is this set in stone or is there a possibility we can be upgraded? My husband has cruised Carnival 5 times.

Well, with my experience, when I booked through my TA, I let her know that my wife and I wanted an oceanview stateroom. My TA mentioned that for a little cheaper, we could go for the "guarantee" oceanview stateroom, which means that Carnival will assign the stateroom for you, either prior or the day of the cruise, when the rest of the oceanview staterooms fill up. That also means that there is a good chance of a free upgrade. And that's what happened, instead of getting a category 6A (oceanview stateroom), we got upgraded for free to a category 8D (balcony stateroom). We're really excited about that! My TA said that we would most likely get upgraded to a balcony but with an obstructed view, guess we got lucky! :D

Usually, but not always, you receive a cabin assignment prior to sailing. Also, I think you have a better chance of an upgrade from ocean view on the Spirit Class ships because of the limited number of ocean view cabins on that particular class.

Both TA's I've had suggested guarantee rooms. First cruise was a 4A gty which meant I was on the lowest deck - inside cabin. I got upgraded 4 floors to deck 8 for the price of the lowest floor. Loved my room.

This time I booked an 8A gty which is a balcony on the main deck. I just got my cabin assignment and I was upgraded to category 8H which is 4 decks higher. I'm happy. If you want a specific location - which many do, I suggest picking your cabin and paying the price for it. If I had booked the cabin I got assigned to, it would have cost me an additional $110/pp so its a free upgrade that I'll take.

So is booking a guarantee generally more expensive? If not, why wouldn't everyone just book this? I mean, who doesn't love a chance of a free upgrade? We normally book inside rooms, so in my case, why wouldn't we book an inside guarantee? Is this the same price as booking a specific inside room? (without a guarantee?) I'm confused.

It means...On Formal Night, if you wear your formal clothes all evening long, you will be guaranteed a Suite on your next cruise....If you go back to your cabin after dinner on Formal Night, and change back into Casual, you will be guaranteed an Inside room for your next cruise.;)

So is booking a guarantee generally more expensive? If not, why wouldn't everyone just book this? I mean, who doesn't love a chance of a free upgrade? We normally book inside rooms, so in my case, why wouldn't we book an inside guarantee? Is this the same price as booking a specific inside room? (without a guarantee?) I'm confused.

Nope, booking a guarantee is usually cheaper. More people don't do it because:

-they are traveling with others and want multiple rooms together/adjoining.

-they want a cabin in a certain place on the ship. Some people feels that certain parts of the ship have more or less movement. We've been all over and don't agree, but that's another reason.

-some people just want to know where their cabin is. I have seen frequent posts by children with Autism who make maps and practice the routes to different things for monthes ahead of time. From what I've read, (i really don't know), children with Autism don't do well with surprises

- alot of people don't know they exist, or what they are. Your husband has been on FIVE cruises and didn't know, so that should tell you something...

We always booked a guarantee because:

-we didn't care where we were as long as we had a balcony.

-it was nice to get to the pier and be pleasantly surprised.

-we got to experience all different parts of the ship without being prejudiced by others views.

-it was cheaper, and we didn't care as long as we had a balcony.

Nope, booking a guarantee is usually cheaper. More people don't do it because:

-they are traveling with others and want multiple rooms together/adjoining.

<snip>

Actually Bernie, we are traveling with another couple on this cruise and so have two cabins. Our PVP somehow "linked" them so we would end up together. We booked BL (Balcony Guarantee) and ended up in an 8C with cabins next door to each other, so I guess there is a way this can be done without having to select your rooms. We booked about 10 months or so in advance and the PVP told us that by "linking" the rooms (his term, not mine) we would either get upgraded together or it could keep us from getting upgraded, so I guess there could be a downside, but the BL was so darned cheap I couldn't care less! We did end up all the way forward (the other couples room is the last one before Camp Carnival) which I know some people don't like, but since this is our first cruise we haven't developed likes and dislikes yet, we're just happy to be going! :D

"Linking" doesn't always work. My family of 6 (me and my 3, and then my parents) booked OV guarantees and ended up on different floors. We were seated together for dinner, though. And my CVS did advise us of the possibility of the cabins not being near each other even though they were "cross referenced" (his term). He said Carnival would try, but a guarantee means you're asking for a specific class, nothing lower, but wherever they have an open cabin in that class. And yes, it's a "free upgrade" if it happens, no charge.

But they are a lot of fun! I agree with the pleasantly surprised bit... we had booked an inside guarantee once and got a balcony. And since then my wife is spoiled... <sigh>

Actually Bernie, we are traveling with another couple on this cruise and so have two cabins. Our PVP somehow "linked" them so we would end up together. We booked BL (Balcony Guarantee) and ended up in an 8C with cabins next door to each other, so I guess there is a way this can be done without having to select your rooms. We booked about 10 months or so in advance and the PVP told us that by "linking" the rooms (his term, not mine) we would either get upgraded together or it could keep us from getting upgraded, so I guess there could be a downside, but the BL was so darned cheap I couldn't care less! We did end up all the way forward (the other couples room is the last one before Camp Carnival) which I know some people don't like, but since this is our first cruise we haven't developed likes and dislikes yet, we're just happy to be going! :D

They can link, but only certain cabins are "adjoining" so while you may get cabins close together, they won't have the "adjoining" door" :) For parents with kids, this is important :) Also, as someone else mentioned, linking doesn't always work. We were "linked" with another reservation and ended up getting different dining times and tables :(

I have a question about room assignments. What is the difference between the letters? I have an 8C category, and somehow that is better than 8A? I'm confused!

an 8C is the same cabin as an 8A, but 2 decks higher up on the ship, so it is an upgrade as you would have had to pay more for it.

I have a question about room assignments. What is the difference between the letters? I have an 8C category, and somehow that is better than 8A? I'm confused!

The number is the class of cabin 8=Balcony. C is the deck so, third deck of balconies.

Spirit Class ships have 3 classes of balconies on each deck, the higher letter is an extended (larger) balcony.

The number is the class of cabin 8=Balcony. C is the deck so, third deck of balconies.

Spirit Class ships have 3 classes of balconies on each deck, the higher letter is an extended (larger) balcony.

So I have 8H on panorama deck just below lido. It doesn't appear to be an extended balcony (at least by the floor plan). If the higher letter is a larger balcony, then my balcony will be bigger than say on the main deck? I thought the extended decks were only on the end/back side.

So I have 8H on panorama deck just below lido. It doesn't appear to be an extended balcony (at least by the floor plan). If the higher letter is a larger balcony, then my balcony will be bigger than say on the main deck? I thought the extended decks were only on the end/back side.

The 8Is are the extended. If you look on the deck plan for a Spirit class ship you will see 2 different colors for balconies. The extended balconies are on those cabins that are set back from the rest.

On other class vessels, like Conquest the aft balconies are extended but they don't cost any more then the regular balconies.

I currently have an 8G extended booked on the Legend and an 8B extended (aft cabin) on the Splendor. ;)

Adding to the previous posts:

When I called Carnival, a very helpful person explained the guarantee process to me. For each sailing, they set aside a number of rooms for guarantee bookings, located on various levels.

When they fulfill their guarantee sales, they will begin to assign rooms. They will often upgrade guarantee bookings to higher levels, so they may free up more affordable rooms at lower levels. It's all about selling out the ship, so your odds of an upgrade increase if sales are weak at the time of assigning rooms. Assigned rooms rarely get upgraded, and some people are unhappy to have their selected room taken (even if it is an upgrade).

As for the link, they do their best to "link" rooms, but nothing is certain. In our case, we booked two guarantee balconies and received an 8H and 8I (same level with one room in between). In terms of the level and close proximity, we thought this was a nice upgrade, but we could have easily ended up with two 8A rooms.

It's less expensive because you are allowing the line to assign your room. If you are concerned about the room location, then pay for an assigned room. And if you book a guarantee, don't "expect" an upgrade... it's simply nice if it happens!

My next cruise is on NCL, but it's pretty much the same process. We chose the room because we booked an obstructed oceanview, which is on a higher deck. We could get upgraded to an oceanview, but it could have been an oceanview on the lowest deck, which we didn't want. It's not that big a deal, but we wanted to be closer to the action, and we wanted a big window, not the little porthole windows.

We have booked guarantee before, I remember we once booked guarantee inside cabins, linked between 3 rooms, and we all got upgraded to balcony staterooms. 2 of the cabins were next door to each other, the third was a few doors down. That was really nice. I loved my balcony. Oh well, maybe one day I'll actually be able to afford to book the balcony room.

They can link, but only certain cabins are "adjoining" so while you may get cabins close together, they won't have the "adjoining" door" :) For parents with kids, this is important :) Also, as someone else mentioned, linking doesn't always work. We were "linked" with another reservation and ended up getting different dining times and tables :(

Since our kids are grown, I'm pretty happy happy about not having adjoining doors! :eek: :D I do understand what you are saying though about it not always working out. It did work out for us, so I'm pretty happy about it. Well, let's face it, I would still be happy if we ended up at opposite ends of the ship as long as we are on the same ship. Being on the same ship with our luggage is a plus too! But that's a flying story! :D

Since our kids are grown, I'm pretty happy happy about not having adjoining doors! :eek: :D I do understand what you are saying though about it not always working out. It did work out for us, so I'm pretty happy about it. Well, let's face it, I would still be happy if we ended up at opposite ends of the ship as long as we are on the same ship. Being on the same ship with our luggage is a plus too! But that's a flying story! :D

Beleive it or not, on our last cruise someone's luggage was missing. On the second or third night we had letters in our stateroom that a "fellow passenger" was without their luggage, and it had a description of the luggage and even a picture! Never heard about it again, so I don't know if it was ever located, but it apparently does happen...

When you think about it, they don't give you a receipt like at the airport. Maybe those folks left the airport without one, or left in the cab and never made it on the ship.

Archived