Any Meditteranean Cruisers? I have a question.

BevMoney

I knew this would happen. I have for a long time wanted to go on the 7 day med cruise that departs from Barcelona Spain and cruises to ports in Fance and Italy. Lord knows I am pleased when RCCl changes their ship itineraries but not this one :(!

I just recently looked at the website and noted that they have removed the Malta port and added Marseille, France. I love Malta and have always wanted to go there and was happy that RCCL had a cruise that stopped there. Now I've waited to long. What I want to know from those of you who have taken the med cruise - how far is Malta from the other italy stops-Civitavecchia and Naples?, and could i still take a side trip malta when we dock at one of the other italy ports? Thanks

and had a Great time. I didn't mind the change. I say give it a try. Marseille, France was a new port for me and I was not disappointed. We took a full day excursion with a lunch and was very pleased. I don't think Malta is nearby from the main land of Italy. If your were to stop in Sicily then it would be closer. But Naples which is the last port of call is way too far from Malta. Go and enjoy what RCCL is offering. IMHO, you won't regret it. :D

RCCL and other cruiselines dropped Malta this year when Malta joined the European Union. Previously, going to Malta. was the only non-EU port on the itinerary. Malta has very high port charges and involves more distance. Since all of the ports were now EU ports, it made more sense for the cruiselines to substitute another EU port (Marseilles). An unfortunate consequence of having all EU ports is that all purchases aboard ship are subject to tax (VAT) 11% on booze and 17% on everthing else (including things like spa services). You can recoup some of this tax if you spend enough.

Hal stopped at Malta this past year so it hasnt been dropped entirely.

Its between Sicily and Athens basically -

Interesting port- very different from anywhere else. A TOTALLY unique experience. Hot is not really descriptive enough of the weather. - even the indonesian crew was taking cabs rather than walking !

but France is always great also. The thing with a cruise is that one cant get too enamored of particular ports as there is always the possibility that they will change.

how far is Malta from the other italy stops-Civitavecchia and Naples?, and could i still take a side trip malta when we dock at one of the other italy ports?
FYI, Rome to Malta is about 430 miles as the crow flies, and Naples to Malta about 350. I wouldn't have thought that you could do this even if you were to fly.

Archived