Airbrush Tanning and swimming??

Liesel

Hello,

We are going to the Caribbean on the Mariner in March. I am from a northern state and very pale (white legs). I am nervous about using a tanner. Somebody suggested an airbrush tanning. Has anybody had that done and gone into the ocean with that?? I am also wondering if it would rub off on your clothes or after showering, but especially while swimming in the ocean??? :confused:

Use a self tanning spray (Neutrogena has a good micro-mist one that covers very evenly). Ideally, have someone spray you down while you are in the shower or outdoors (not likely in your area because of the cold) because it can get messy, and you don't want to get the spray on furniture, carpets, etc.

Let it dry well, then you can get dressed. It shouldn't come off on clothes, but make sure you wear washable clothes.

It takes a few hours to 'set', but then it's permanet and won't come off in the pool or ocean.

Not so absurd - they wouldn't have these products if there wasn't a market for them. Fair or not, most people think that people look better with a tan, and some make fun of people that are pale. I know they have made fun of me.:(

Tanning is bad for our skin; causing premature aging and skin cancer. We all know that, yet we all (or most of us) want the tanned look. I have typical English fair skin, and burn easily. Tanning is a long, drawn out process for me, and I don't have the patience for it.

So, I have tried the self-tanners. I have found that they do tend to rub off on clothes, but it does wash off the clothes. My socks definitely had a brownish hue on the inside. If the cream isn't tinted, it probably wouldn't stain.

Unfortunately, I have developed a skin allergy to whatever chemicals are in the self-tanners. I break out in a rash now.

So, after a few years of not being embarrassed about my white legs, I guess this summer it will be back to the ridicule.:(

Amusingly enough is wasn't to many generations back when women did NOT want the tanned look and went to extremes to avoid it.

With the population realizing that too much tanning can cause damage, I have to wonder if the days of avoiding a tan will soon return.

Personally, there's lots of different ways to approach your appearance in a swimsuit. As a guy admiring the scenery, I'll be very blunt and tell you that "Fake" is out. Put on the SPF 30 and just stay pale. If you have dark hair, it makes a very good contrast.

JMHO above, it IS your vacation and in the end, your choice. Enjoy yourself whatever you do.

I see that it's already been answered and I can confirm as well, after having had a sprayed on tan for my last cruise, it does not run. Mine looked very natural as well. Just make sure if it's a machine that does the spraying, rub, rub, rub, and blend, blend, blend right afterwards or you'll look streaky. Other than that, I highly recommend!

The Jergens moisturizer/tanner works VERY well, and because it developes over days, streaking isn't a problem! Apply it, and the next day, do it again, and the next day.... if you miss a little spot one day, you'll hit it the next. It's very gradual, and if you do it the week before your cruise, your white legs won't be blinding others! Then, you can start working on a REAL tan! Because it actually dyes your skin, it won't streak in the pool! It contains no sunscreen, tho, so use some when you get into the sun!

OK, is there something I can do to prevent it from rubbing off on my towels after I shower? I had one Mistic session a few weeks ago, and it made an unholy mess on my towels for like a week afterwards. It washed out of the towels with no problem, but was ugly in the meantime. Call me crazy, but I don't want to leave it all over towels next week when we sail, and leave a stateroom attendant to deal with it.

Everyone tells me I'm crazy to even worry about this, bvecause it does wash right out of the towels, I'm just thinking someone's going to think I'm losing my skin color a la Michael Jackson. :eek:

Dirtgirl-I have an allergy to the self-tanners, too! I thought I was the only woman in the world to do this. I had a rash on my legs so bad it was embarrasing on one cruise-lol. So, unfortunately, it's back to the "shake-n-bake" for me before cruising. I wonder if the Mystic Tan or spray tans would break me out?

OK, is there something I can do to prevent it from rubbing off on my towels after I shower? I had one Mistic session a few weeks ago, and it made an unholy mess on my towels for like a week afterwards. It washed out of the towels with no problem, but was ugly in the meantime. Call me crazy, but I don't want to leave it all over towels next week when we sail, and leave a stateroom attendant to deal with it.

Everyone tells me I'm crazy to even worry about this, bvecause it does wash right out of the towels, I'm just thinking someone's going to think I'm losing my skin color a la Michael Jackson. :eek:

I believe that there's a mystic tan foam that you rub on daily in the shower that helps your skin retain the color a bit longer, thus not making a mess out of your towels. I personally used it and never had a problem with the color bleeding off onto fabrics.....but then again, we all have different skin types.

it will NOt come off in the shower if you follow the instructions. You will have to wait a certain amount of time before taking a shower tho. It probably won't come off onto clothes but don't wear anything that can;t be washed. You can go into a swimming pool and the ocean. It is just like getting into the shower and i have never heard of salt making your tan "run" but i guess you could ask the person at the tanning salon. My mom has gotten a spray tan before and you will come out of the place looking way dark and once you take a shower you will look great! Happy cruising!

I get the Mystic Tan in the "clear" option (not bronze). I've found that the bronze option streaks more and smells worse, plus the bronzer is the stuff that comes off on your towels. The franchises with more modern equipment have you stand in four positions (not just front and back), and I think that it gives you a more even "tan".

I always do the mystic tanning, and it has never run or rubbed off on my clothes. You do have to follow directions and towel off thoroughly after the sessions, but after that, you're okay. It really looks good, and is much healthier than tanning beds.

A practical question. Can one go to the caribbean and enjoy the beach and water sports w/o having a protective tan. Can you really enjoy the sun for 16 hours and cover your body enough with the sunscreen to prevent sunburn?.

I ask this because the dw and I always pretan before going to the caribbean for fear of getting burned. Okay part of it may be because we don't want to be the whitest people onboard.

Can't explain it but we too seemed programmed to believe that tanned = healthy and attractive while pale = sickly and unattractive. Has the advertising industry been that successful in brainwashing us. Must be the case since at one time peaches and cream was the rage. As well as voluptuous for ladies.

Dirtgirl-I have an allergy to the self-tanners, too! I thought I was the only woman in the world to do this. I had a rash on my legs so bad it was embarrasing on one cruise-lol. So, unfortunately, it's back to the "shake-n-bake" for me before cruising. I wonder if the Mystic Tan or spray tans would break me out?

Sorry to hear about your problem, and I can definitely relate!!! I used the stuff for several years, and was fine. I started using L'Oreal, and maybe that is what did it, I don't know.

most people think that people look better with a tan, and some make fun of people that are pale. I know they have made fun of me.

Please let me know where you get your information from that most people think that people look better with a tan. what survey did you read to get this information. And just who made fun of you because you are pale.

WHO ARE THEY

Please let me know where you get your information from that most people think that people look better with a tan. what survey did you read to get this information. And just who made fun of you because you are pale.

WHO ARE THEY

THEY are women that I know who would point out that I have white legs and make fun of me. You weren't there. I was. It has happened to me numerous times. All the "Carol, you need to get some sun on those white legs of yours" comments, with the accompaning snicker.

Shall we do a poll to see what people really think? The vast majority of women I know want to be tanned, either fake or natural. Mostly natural.

Sorry you took offense to my post....:confused:

WHO ARE THEY

Boy, you sure took her post awful personal. I'm trying to understand now why she has to reply to you (obviously a man) why she feels the way she does or why should have to list names or descriptions of those who taunted her. I found her using the word "most" something that came from her personal experiences and not a published survey. Now, why is that some people get so in indignant about other's opinions. Oh, did I just do that.....:o

WHO ARE THEY

I snickered audibly. And there's no need to yell at her.

You can start here if you like: http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/hottopics/sunshine/suntans.shtml

I remember the baby oil 1950's so I'm probably doomed to skin cancer at some point in my life from the burns I got as a child. I still think a tan looks better than pale. With a tan face the dark circles under my eyes are less prominent. There's a sample size of one...

Although I'd rather get my tan naturally, I now try to be prudent about sun exposure, in spite of some African genes that should provide natural protection.

BTW, I think that the Jergens stuff reeks to high heaven. I like the L'Oreal (that DG can't use and gave to me) and the Olay, which has a light citrusy odor. Neither seems to leave streaks on anything or wash out and they don't turn orange, either.

THEY are women that I know who would point out that I have white legs and make fun of me. You weren't there. I was. It has happened to me numerous times. All the "Carol, you need to get some sun on those white legs of yours" comments, with the accompaning snicker.

Shall we do a poll to see what people really think? The vast majority of women I know want to be tanned, either fake or natural. Mostly natural.

Sorry you took offense to my post....:confused:

Shall we go back and reread my post, just where did I say I did not believe you. All I did was ask where you got your information. I also asked who They are. As to taking offense to your post, no like I said just asking a question. I don't know when that became a bad thing!

Boy, you sure took her post awful personal. I'm trying to understand now why she has to reply to you (obviously a man) why she feels the way she does or why should have to list names or descriptions of those who taunted her. I found her using the word "most" something that came from her personal experiences and not a published survey. Now, why is that some people get so in indignant about other's opinions. Oh, did I just do that.....:o

Wow I get blasted because I asked where she got her info from.

How about the poster who called getting a tan from anything the sun

What complete absurdity.

Like I said all I was asking because I really don't know anything about tanning. When people start to use words like Most and Them its a red flag in the education world and thats when I generaly ask for more info. Trust me when I say that I ment nothing more that wanting to know where she got her info and who they are.

I am Sorry if anyone took it anyway other that.

Archived