Handicap Lavatories on airplanes

sharonny

OK this may be an extremely silly question but here goes....Are there lavatories on airplanes for the handicap? or Which airline has the largest. How about first class? I am trying to arrange for my mom (mobility issue and pleasantly plump) to fly without me. I prefer a nonstop but the time frame would require a bathroom visit. She was not able to manuver on Southwest with a cane without assistance and I didn't even think to check out Jetblue size when we last flew. Any advice or knowledge.

Thanks and smiles!

If she can stand and walk, this should not be much of a problem. She can either book a seat right next to the bathroom, or walk down the aisle with her cane or even holding onto the seats. If she cannot walk that far, they will transport her using the on-board aisle chair (be sure they have one on board) IF she can transfer herself (they will not lift her or assist with the transfer). Once she gets to the toilet she will need to stand and take a step or two. There are grab-bars in most of the bathrooms.

If someone cannot stand at all and needs help with transfers, they are pretty much out of luck unless they know how to levitate! My mother cannot, so for anything over a 2 hour flight she gets an indwelling catheter for the duration, which we insert at home before leaving, remove upon arrival, and carry another kit for use when returning home. She uses it with a leg bag so it does not show (she wears fairly long skirts or slacks).

I've flown first class on all the domestic airlines and quite a few international, and unless you're ambulatory, there's no way on any airline, especially if you're confined to a wheelchair. The largest bathrooms were on British Air first class, but not even on that airline will a wheelchair fit.

Thanks everyone! Years ago I flew on a very large plane to Cancun. The seating was something like 3-6-3. Plane was huge, even had a bar area were everyone was up mingling. I recall the bathrooms as being large, now I fear that they weren't bigger I was just smaller:eek: .

Even though my husband cannot stand or walk by himself, we do use the small bathroom on the plane.

I will get someone to help me to get him to the door. We normally sit as close to the bathroom as we can.

I actually go in with him to hold him. It takes some time but it does work. LOL -- and yes it is a very tight fit - I really got to suck it in to get the door shut behind me. Not sure how people become part of the mile high club when you can not move but that's another story. We do get a few raised eye brows when they see two people coming out of the bathroom.

I have been thin and fat, and never have found the bathroom big enough, particulary for 'intimate cleanup' (pardon the frankness).

A couple of things come to mind -- be sure to tell your Mom she can use the closest lavatory, even if it is in First Class and she is in Coach. Though they discourage this in general, accomodations are made for the Disabled.

Again, to be slightly graphic, if she's plump, you might advise her as follows -- rather than do the usual of disrobing/pulling down pants, etc while facing the door, try this approach. Face the toilet and pull everything down, then turn around and be seated. Once completed, do the reverse, remembering to close the toilet seat.

Just a bit more maneuverability. In these close quarters, every bit helps.

Good luck.

Nancy

• 3 weeks later...

I, too, am pleasantly plump and slightly disabled (walk with a cane or walker). I have been on many different airplanes and have not found one bathroom that was not a tight fit. It was especially hard to wipe up afterwards. So I follow the tips below and no longer am worried.

I would suggest that your mother bring along travel size flushable moist wipes in her purse. They do a much better job. Also, if she is worried, she could wear a Serenity pad for the trip. That way if there are any problems, the Serenity pad will be there (also take an extra in her purse).

I, too, am pleasantly plump and slightly disabled (walk with a cane or walker). I have been on many different airplanes and have not found one bathroom that was not a tight fit. It was especially hard to wipe up afterwards. So I follow the tips below and no longer am worried.

I would suggest that your mother bring along travel size flushable moist wipes in her purse. They do a much better job. Also, if she is worried, she could wear a Serenity pad for the trip. That way if there are any problems, the Serenity pad will be there (also take an extra in her purse).

Don't see any 'tips below'.

nlvc

That was the tip

Thanks to everyone. :)

rather than do the usual of disrobing/pulling down pants, etc while facing the door, try this approach. Face the toilet and pull everything down, then turn around and be seated. Once completed, do the reverse, remembering to close the toilet seat.

nlvc12 - this is great advice, not one we'd ever thought of. I talked to mom and this is a keeper that she will try.

ms simba - :) we never leave home without the wipes. You are so right, they do do a better job.

Any tips/suggestions are always appreciated. Thanks again.

Smiles to everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Most 777 have a handicap bathroom. Not large enough for a standard wheelchair but significantly larger then the standard bathroom. Two people fit easily. I have used one on Continental and United Airlines.

Some airlines will absolutely not less passengers use a lavatory in a higher class of service. British Airways, Qantas, & Singapore to name 3.

Some US based carriers will let people use a lavatory in a higher class of service but will not let people form a line at the front of the airplane to do so.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I've given up trying to use airline bathrooms. I just severely restrict fluid and food intake for 24 hours before flying, wear Depends undergarments (just in case), with a spare in my carry-one or purse, and refuse anything but water when I'm on board (easy now, as they don't offer food anyway, except at great expense, and then I'm hard pressed to call it "food"!)

• 2 weeks later...
Most 777 have a handicap bathroom. Not large enough for a standard wheelchair but significantly larger then the standard bathroom. Two people fit easily. I have used one on Continental and United Airlines.

The 767 also has an accessible bathroom. We flew Barcelona to Atlanta on Delta and Bookie used it three times. She is a double amputee. The attendants helped her using the onboard wheelchair and two of them stood at either end of the lavatory until she was finished. It is basically two lavatories with a space between them. When needed for her, they open both doors, converting the two into one large one. It really works. They were wonderful. We are returning to Barcleona in November, again on Delta's 767.

W.

The 767 also has an accessible bathroom. We flew Barcelona to Atlanta on Delta and Bookie used it three times. She is a double amputee. The attendants helped her using the onboard wheelchair and two of them stood at either end of the lavatory until she was finished. It is basically two lavatories with a space between them. When needed for her, they open both doors, converting the two into one large one. It really works. They were wonderful. We are returning to Barcleona in November, again on Delta's 767.

W.

Hi, Wookie!

Just saying Hi! We met on the Azamara Journey last year! Please give my regards to the Bookie as well - she was a Pip! I'm so glad I got to meet both of you.

Nancy (nlvc12)

Hi Nancy. We were in your backyard in May when we came to NJ for my high school reunion in Ramsey. We also visited an old college buddy from Seton Hall. He lives in Totowa with his wife. We had a good time.

W.

PS: We just booked Journey for the TA next March. Maybe see you then???

Hi Nancy. We were in your backyard in May when we came to NJ for my high school reunion in Ramsey. We also visited an old college buddy from Seton Hall. He lives in Totowa with his wife. We had a good time.

W.

PS: We just booked Journey for the TA next March. Maybe see you then???

Wow, Totowa is literally the next town over! I'm glad you had a good time. Unfortunately, it's unlikely you'll see us on the Journey. John wasn't overly impressed with the experience. I did like the smaller size. Not sure I'd want the smaller size on a TA, but of course, I've never done a TA before.

See ya on the boards, anyhow!

Nancy

Archived