Fishing On Board the Ship

iroyster

I understand that I need a big game fishing license to fish off a cruise ship but am curious about how much they charge for an all day fishing permit and do they offer taxidermy on board if I catch a big fish?

Does anyone know what is the best bait (lure, live bait)? Do they have fishing tournamants on board, if so what is the prize? Do they have a couples tournament so that my DW and I can fish together?

Any help would be appreciated!

TNC

Ira

TNC = TOUNGE IN CHEEK! :rolleyes:

I have never heard of nor seen anyone fishing off of a cruise ship. There are sometimes tours offered in various ports for deep sea fishing but I have yet to see anyone hauling in any fish to a deck of a cruiseship.

Now....on a lighter note.......maybe you want to drop some nets and drag 'em along the bottom. Might be able to lug up some pretty interesting 'relics'. Do you get to keep any gold coins you bring up to the surface?

maybe you want to drop some nets and drag 'em along the bottom. Might be able to lug up some pretty interesting 'relics'. Do you get to keep any gold coins you bring up to the surface?

But what if the net snags and stops the ship, would everybody be mad?

Ira

Does anyone know what is the best bait (lure, live bait)? Do they have fishing tournamants on board, if so what is the prize? Do they have a couples tournament so that my DW and I can fish together?

The best bait is LIVE bate ... an ample supply can be found at Club HAL, but tends to be rather loud and wiggly until you get that hook in 'em and have the line cast overboard. ;)

The tournaments are fun. Those who go through the most bait generally get excellent awards. :D

Some couples actually supply their own bait ... they win the best prizes!!! D

Last year on the Constellation we had an aft cabin. I trolled on my wifes long ear rings. It looked just like a spinner bait. I caught a 120 pound female shopper from the lido deck. Almost never got her into the net, but she sure looks good on my wall. She still has that " boy is this a steal" look on her face.

I caught a 120 pound female shopper from the lido deck. Almost never got her into the net, but she sure looks good on my wall. She still has that " boy is this a steal" look on her face.

Did you use the onboard Taxidermist, or did you pack her in ice and cart her home??? :D

The best bait is LIVE bate ... an ample supply can be found at Club HAL, but tends to be rather loud and wiggly until you get that hook in 'em and have the line cast overboard. ;)

The tournaments are fun. Those who go through the most bait generally get excellent awards. :D

Some couples actually supply their own bait ... they win the best prizes!!! D

You make me laugh, Rev Neal!!!!

On the Westerdam in August they were putting out gallon milk jugs weighted with blenders as sinkers. They really hauled in a lot of Bull Fish.

Also, fly fisherpeople were out in great numbers. They caught a lot of flying fish.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.!!

On my last cruise, I had to pay the 3rd passenger rate for my live earthworms. which were happily living in my back-yard soil in an empty Folger's 3# coffee can. They were, however, denied boarding, as a couple of them could not produce a BC with a raised seal. Seems the seal had eaten them for dinner.

A little OT, but on my last cruise, we had some rough wind and seas, and one morning we found someone's boxer shorts on our veranda deck. I just ASSUMED it was the weather redistributing someone's laundry, but perhaps it was just someone fishing from the Nav deck who couldn't get the beast up that one last deck.

I like the idea of getting chum from the HAL Kids Zone. Do you just throw a couple in first or do you troll with them?

I troll with 'em. The hooks need to be extra-large, and you should hook 'em through the throat -- the voice box is good and keep's 'em quiet -- so that their legs flop around and look enticing to shark and sword fish. That's the best thing the Vista ship's are good for, by the way ... trolling off the aft-facing verandahs! :)

I just ASSUMED it was the weather redistributing someone's laundry, but perhaps it was just someone fishing from the Nav deck who couldn't get the beast up that one last deck.

Could be ... how large were these boxers? It's also possible that someone was having fun and they stripped down and threw their undies off their balcony, not realizing that air-flow dynamics would bring them right back to the ship.

RevNeal: Please remember that Club HAL is catch & release ONLY.

To RevNeal and Flatwallet: They were bright blue, approx. size large (didn't try to read the label) .... Veendam, June 20, 2004 sailing. I just kicked them back under the divider and no one kicked them back. Which means EITHER I got them back to the right owner OR I gave someone else a really good story to tell.

Archived