Forgotton items left onboard

stringo

As for contacting NCL, I have not done this yet as we just arrived home yesterday. Found the lost and found number and will call this week. Posting was an after thought, one I hoped would help.

Please call sooner rather than later, the hotel director from the Gem will be debarking on Friday. She will have been onboard during the time the ring was lost. I would also recommend calling lost and found and mailing the ring to NCL corporates lost and found rather than holding onto the ring and trying to find its owner yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably better to leave it in the safe and write a note that said it was not yours and to check to see what passenger was in your cabin the week before your cruise. Can't imagine taking a gold ring with me in the hopes of eventually finding the owner. Granted it was engraved but your chances of locating the owner are slim to none compared to NCL locating the owner IF you had left it with the room steward.
The fewer hands the ring passes through, the less chance it has of disappearing along the way. Although I would like to believe that most people (passengers and crew/staff) on board are honest, the chances of a gold ring left in an open safe on turnaround day with a note saying "I'm lost!" somehow finding its way back to its owner do not seem very good to me.

Obviously the motives of someone who finds a valuable object on board and takes it home with them after the cruise are suspect, but I think we can agree that if TSKCruise0123 wanted to keep this ring for themselves, we would never have heard about it here. I think they did the right thing in the circumstances, and the next time I lose something of value I really hope someone as honest as TSKCruise0123 comes across it first and that they don't decide "not my problem" and leave it there for someone else to pick up.

That said I agree about contacting NCL, not only because they know who was in that cabin, but also to remove all suspicion from the room steward.

I'm sure the ring's owner has already realized it is missing and called by now - probably that same day or the day after. They would have been told it wasn't found. After a few days, knowing where they had left it, it is obvious to them that someone took the ring. Maybe they will try to call again, maybe they won't. Hopefully you will find the time to dial the phone and make a call. It really wouldn't take much more time than posting here does. Sorry, but I think it was pretty thoughtless of you.

To those of you who have made positive comments thank you. To those of you who think negative thoughts I really don't need your comments. Why would I even bother posting this if I wanted to keep the ring...this doesn't make any sense at all.

Leaving it in the safe might have ended up in a dishonest persons hands. Even if I had had the time to hand it into the front desk on that last morning wouldn't have guaranteed anything. If mailing it to NCL lost and found is what they tell me to do then that is what will be done! My posting any of this was not to attract negativity but to perhaps give the ring exposure to someone who may be looking for it and is on CC.

To those of you who have made positive comments thank you. To those of you who think negative thoughts I really don't need your comments. Why would I even bother posting this if I wanted to keep the ring...this doesn't make any sense at all.

Leaving it in the safe might have ended up in a dishonest persons hands. Even if I had had the time to hand it into the front desk on that last morning wouldn't have guaranteed anything. If mailing it to NCL lost and found is what they tell me to do then that is what will be done! My posting any of this was not to attract negativity but to perhaps give the ring exposure to someone who may be looking for it and is on CC.

Ok... so... have you called NCL yet?? Still too busy?

I would have done the same thing as OP. I wouldn't have trusted the room's future occupants or handing it to a random CS person. Furthermore, after the responses here, I definitely wouldn't have come back to tell the outcome of the story.

As I mentioned, the front desk was filled with guests and on the last day it's extremely difficult to speak to anyone. We were disembarking and I knew that I would contact NCL head office or post directly to a thread to see if anyone would respond. Why would I want to keep an engraved ring... there's no reason for anyone to pass negative comments on this.

Unfortunately, negative comments seem to be part of it. Pretty much anything you say can and will be used against you. Try to bear in mind it's probably some fat old turd sitting around in stained underwear posting it and don't let it get to you. I think you did the right thing trying to make sure the ring was taken care of. I found a laptop once stuck down next to the side of the couch. I gave it the steward. Always wondered if it ever got reunited with its owner.