Forgotton items left onboard

stringo

DB and I have just returned from the GEM on 6/2/08. On emptying the cases I noticed we had forgotton to pack the photos we had bought from the ship's photographer!! I have contacted NCL to see if it is possible to have them sent on and I wondered if anyone else had any similar experience - hopefully with the items being returned. :eek:

We didn't leave items behind on NCL, but have on other lines and unfortunately, never got them back. My husband left an electric razor that was never turned in at lost and found. We called to Celebrity as soon as we got home, which was about 2 hours after we got off the ship. We were told they would look for it, but that's the last we heard from them.

Another time my husband left a new pair of dress shoes under the bed and it was the same story. I hope because you are looking for pictures, you will have better luck. I don't think someone would want your pictures, but I guess someone did want my husband's razor and shoes.

Good luck.

Good Luck! In 90+ cruises, I'll share that DH has a nasty habit of forgetting his Rx eye glasses and in spite of repeated attempts to locate them, he's never recovered a single pair. Our TA even tried on the last two occasions and said that chance of getting items back is remote.

The first time DH "lost" his glasses was when he took them off after ordering breakfast on disembarkation day on the Freedom of the Seas. He returned to the dining room a few minutes after breakfast and nobody knew anything. On a recent trip that ended in Barcelona, DH requested that NCL's rep at the post cruise hotel call the ship, which she did, to notify them that his glasses were next to the bed. Alas, no glasses.

What bothers me more is knowing that the glasses were in a case with name and telephone number.

On a positive note, I did get my money back when four Carnival sweat shirts went missing while seated in a lounge shortly after an onboard shopping trip.

Darcy

My mother and I returned home on the 26th from a wonderful cruise on the Gem, only to find that we left a package of souvenirs. I contacted the Gem by fax (305-633-6973) or you can try overseas no. 011-874-7646-50741 or 50744) directed to Lost & Found. They discovered it and we have made

arrangements for delivery. Good luck finding yours.

I forgot my mother-in-law once, but they returned her to us. DAMN

Funny!

Actually, if you forget something on board the best thing is to contact NCL as soon as possible. They will contact the ship and have them look for the item. Found items are kept on board for a month or so then they box up the unclaimed items and drop off the box with the port agent in a needy country.

The crew keeps a box in the crew area for donations from crew members of clothing etc. to go ashore for the needy.

• 1 month later...

While I'm sure it does happen that some people get their forgotten items back, it seems for the most part that it is very unlikely...here's why....

On our Dawn cruise on March 2, we could not close the bottom drawer in the cabinet. It kept springing open. I kept telling DH that I thought something was blocking it and sure enough, after some investigation, we discovered two ladies blouses, very dressy and possibly expensive. Not knowing what else to do with them, I brought them down to guest services and explained that I had found them and was turning them in, in case the owner contacted NCL inquiring about them. The guest services rep looked at me like I had mud on my face, almost with a look of disdain as if to say, you're kidding me. I put the clothes on the counter and she reluctantly took them from me. I then asked her if she wanted my cabin number in case the owner specified what cabin she left her clothes in. The rep. said, ok sure in a tone that seemed to suggest that it wouldn't make a difference. I have absolutely no confidence in the fact that if the owner of the clothes contacted NCL, she would ever see those clothes again.

My daughter left a peice of luggage at the NCL terminal in San Juan about 10 years ago. When we got back she notified NCL, the bag was found and returned. I think most of the time they try to locate the owners, but obviously not always. I left a camera on the Sun, by the time I dicovered it I knew it would do me no good to notify anyone.

Nita

When we returned to New York from our March 8 cruise on the Gem, my husband left his insulin in the refrigerator in our stateroom. I contacted the telephone number for lost items, not so much to ask that the medication be mailed to us as we live in Canada, but out of concern that the insulin left behind may hurt someone.

I explained to the NCL representative that we had left the insulin in our stateroom and we were concerned that it may fall into the hands of someone who may not understand the danger of this drug. She assured me that any medication left in staterooms comes under the jurisdiction of 'security' and would be disposed of. She said that medication left in staterooms is not returned to the passengers as NCL is not able to guarantee that it has not been tampered with in the meantime. I think this is a very good policy where medication is concerned.

In any case, I again emphasized our concern stating that the insulin in the refrigerator was the 'fast-acting' type which can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing with it. I informed her that the four vials of insulin in the refrigerator was much more than enough to kill someone if used improperly. She gasped and assured me that it would have been disposed of.

Even when she initially told me that the medication would have been disposed of, I felt an obligation to inform her of the potential danger of this medication just in case there was some way she could followup on the matter if she saw the need to do so. I am hoping that she did followup directly with Gem management.

WinterSky

• 7 years later...

Just returned home after taking a cruise on the Norwegian Gem. As I was taking my passport out of our safe, we found a gold wedding band with an engraving on the inside, date and initials. I would LOVE to be able to return this ring to its owner. We sailed on May 2nd-May 9th 2015. Our stateroom number was 11156 suite in the aft position. Hoping someone will contact me and give me particulars on the ring!

Just returned home after taking a cruise on the Norwegian Gem. As I was taking my passport out of our safe, we found a gold wedding band with an engraving on the inside, date and initials. I would LOVE to be able to return this ring to its owner. We sailed on May 2nd-May 9th 2015. Our stateroom number was 11156 suite in the aft position. Hoping someone will contact me and give me particulars on the ring!

Make sure you contact NCL about your find...someone is probably contacting them about it...:)

Why didn't you turn it in to security? Only a very small percentage of cruisers are on CC.

We found it the very last day before leaving and deck 7 was packed with guests trying to leVe and settle their accounts.

I don't think it would have taken too much time to turn it in. At the very least, I would cut the line to turn in a lost/found wedding band or hand it off to security upon disembarkation.

You would have done better to leave it in the safe. Sticking it in your pocket and walking off the ship with it? C'mon, man...

You might want to post about this in the roll calls for the one or two cruises preceding yours:

4/24/15 - NYC to FL/Bahamas

Norwegian Gem 04/15/2015m- New York

As I mentioned, the front desk was filled with guests and on the last day it's extremely difficult to speak to anyone. We were disembarking and I knew that I would contact NCL head office or post directly to a thread to see if anyone would respond. Why would I want to keep an engraved ring... there's no reason for anyone to pass negative comments on this.

As I mentioned, the front desk was filled with guests and on the last day it's extremely difficult to speak to anyone. We were disembarking and I knew that I would contact NCL head office or post directly to a thread to see if anyone would respond. Why would I want to keep an engraved ring... there's no reason for anyone to pass negative comments on this.

Have you contacted the company?

About the wedding ring left in the safe - I'm wondering how long it took the owner to realize that he/she had left it behind. TSKCruise0123 was on a week-long cruise, and I'm really surprised that in that week, the ring's owner wasn't able to get word to the Norwegian Gem that someone should check the safe in 11156.

About the missing shoes - in her book The Love Boats, Jeraldine Saunders told about the time that a cabin steward liked some passenger's shoes and wanted them for himself, so he hid one of them, thinking that the passenger would leave the other one behind, because what use is one shoe? Instead, the passenger said that the left-behind shoe was of no use to anyone, and he threw it out the porthole. Jeraldine was not at all shocked by the cabin steward attempting to steal a passenger's shoes. She thought the whole thing was really funny.

As for contacting NCL, I have not done this yet as we just arrived home yesterday. Found the lost and found number and will call this week. Posting was an after thought, one I hoped would help.

You are doing your best and should ignore some of the comments. Everyone else appreciates your efforts.

We found it the very last day before leaving and deck 7 was packed with guests trying to leVe and settle their accounts.

Probably better to leave it in the safe and write a note that said it was not yours and to check to see what passenger was in your cabin the week before your cruise. Can't imagine taking a gold ring with me in the hopes of eventually finding the owner. Granted it was engraved but your chances of locating the owner are slim to none compared to NCL locating the owner IF you had left it with the room steward.