NCLA to Pull POAloha from Hawaii on May 11, 2008

Molokai-Chuck

Without any comments or prodding from me, she described their problems with service on the POAm and they sounded almost exactly the same as we experienced three years earlier. To me that showed that NCLA never moved to fix the problems.

Sorry, based on what I've heard from you on the boards for years, I find it difficult to believe there was no prodding or especially comments on your part.

My parents were schedule on the May 11 Pride of Aloha. Their TA called NCL and was told they have not decided how to handle the already booked passengers. Understandably he does not want to take the cruise critic press release as gospel. Have any TA's here been able to confirm that the press release on CC match's what they are doing.

Thanks,

David

This is the notice we received as agents from NCL :

Guests booked on Pride of Aloha

For guests booked on Pride of Aloha from May 11, 2008 and beyond, NCL is holding space and will offer the same cruise fare as they currently have paid on their Pride of Aloha cruise if they would like to transfer to the same week on Pride of America, departing one day earlier. In addition:

Guests will receive a $100 per person on-board credit (up to $200 per stateroom).

For guests who made their air and/or hotel arrangements through NCL, NCL will protect the rates they currently have paid and cover any air or hotel change fees.

For guests who purchased their own air, NCL will protect up to the first $100 per person of any increase in air costs and cover up to $75 per person in air change fees.

For guests who made independent hotel arrangements, NCL will cover any hotel change fees up to $25 per person.

Guests may book any other NCL cruise and receive a $100 per person on-board credit (up to $200 per stateroom) if they rebook by March 7, 2008. In addition, NCL will cover up to $75 per person in air change fees and up to $25 per person in hotel change fees.

Guests may cancel their cruise and receive a full refund if NCL is notified by March 7, 2008. In addition, NCL will cover up to $75 per person in air change fees and up to $25 per person in hotel change fees. After March 7, 2008 cancellation fees will apply in accordance with NCL’s cancellation policy.

This is the notice we received as agents from NCL :

Guests booked on Pride of Aloha

For guests booked on Pride of Aloha from May 11, 2008 and beyond, NCL is holding space and will offer the same cruise fare as they currently have paid on their Pride of Aloha cruise if they would like to transfer to the same week on Pride of America, departing one day earlier. In addition:

Guests will receive a $100 per person on-board credit (up to $200 per stateroom).

For guests who made their air and/or hotel arrangements through NCL, NCL will protect the rates they currently have paid and cover any air or hotel change fees.

For guests who purchased their own air, NCL will protect up to the first $100 per person of any increase in air costs and cover up to $75 per person in air change fees.

For guests who made independent hotel arrangements, NCL will cover any hotel change fees up to $25 per person.

Guests may book any other NCL cruise and receive a $100 per person on-board credit (up to $200 per stateroom) if they rebook by March 7, 2008. In addition, NCL will cover up to $75 per person in air change fees and up to $25 per person in hotel change fees.

Guests may cancel their cruise and receive a full refund if NCL is notified by March 7, 2008. In addition, NCL will cover up to $75 per person in air change fees and up to $25 per person in hotel change fees. After March 7, 2008 cancellation fees will apply in accordance with NCL’s cancellation policy.

Thank you,

Hopefully their TA has received this by now as well.

This is my parents first go with NCL or NCLA, so my Dad is so nervous. What happens if drydock takes longer than expected? If they change, they would be on the first sailing out of dry dock.

Thanks again,

David

Sorry, based on what I've heard from you on the boards for years, I find it difficult to believe there was no prodding or especially comments on your part.

Actually, if you must know... I was the one who pointed her in the direction of NCLA. She asked me which line I usually cruised on and I told her that I loved NCL and its ships, crews and itineraries. I will say that I did tell her that their customer service and corporate management was the worst in the business, but their ships are fantastic and Freestyle can't be beat.

I told her to try the POAm because it was a newer and larger ship. All I told her was that NCLA is the best way to see Hawaii in a short period of time. I did not mention anything about service. I did explain the Freestyle system to her. They even booked through my TA.

When she came back, she told me how great Hawaii was and that the crew seemed really nice, but generally lazy compared to what she had experienced on RCCL. She then mentioned long waits between courses at dinner, the constant need to have to ask for refills, tables in the buffet not being cleared quickly (staff members seemed more interesting in talking amongst themselves than clearing tables.). She even described the workers as "moving in slow motion." She didn't have complaints about the quality of food or the cleanliness of the ship in general...just service issues.

So since you decided to look childish with that snide comment, then I felt the need to answer you.

So since you decided to look childish with that snide comment, then I felt the need to answer you.

I guess it's one of those things that doesn't come across written. It was just a little joke. I didn't really mean it to be snide, but whatever. I guess there are things worse than looking childish on a message board.

What is the downside?

I see this as a win for us cruisers, with only one NCLA ship to staff there should not be a shortage of good employees.

I see this as a win for NCL as there will be less market saturation which should allow fares to increase for NCLA.

I now believe that NCLA will be successful.

I see goodness here, what am I missing?

One downside will be prices. I'm glad I picked up 2 $499 trips last year. There won't be the oversupply and prices will definately be up.

Well - we are on the April 27 cruise. And from what I have read - I am not excited about this ship at all. This whole thing makes me wish that I had done my own homework - and not trusted somebody else to pick this ship and time. We are really looking forward to Hawaii - but just have to hope that the ship doesn't sink while we are on it. :eek:

We have waited to do Hawaii for a long time waiting for the bugs to be worked out and the perfect itinerary. I saw the writing on the wall and jumped on the POAL 10 day in March as I felt the itinerary was going away. Never expected that they would take the ship out with so little notice. I am very worried about the level of service we will get since everyone will be writing their resumes instead for changing our sheets.:(

I also feel bad for the tour operators on the islands as this will be a big blow to them. Of course their rates will also have to rise to cover their losses. The cost of going to Hawaii will now rival going to Europe.

It is hard to believe that NCLA could not make money in Hawaii.

It is a sad day for the passengers, crew and Hawaii

Hi,

I called my TA who called NCL to get us hopefully transfered on to a balcony mid ship cabin on the POAM and get the $200 credit added on to our account.

They are calling my TA back before lunch tomorrow.......

Keep you posted!!!

x:o

...I sailed on the POA in 2004 and had a collegue from work who sailed on the POAm this past summer. Without any comments or prodding from me, she described their problems with service on the POAm and they sounded almost exactly the same as we experienced three years earlier. To me that showed that NCLA never moved to fix the problems.
I am sorry to hear that they did not enjoy their cruise, but we simply did not experience any of the service-related problems we had read about on our January cruise. Other recent reviews have been similarly positive.

One downside will be prices. I'm glad I picked up 2 $499 trips last year. There won't be the oversupply and prices will definately be up.
I just priced out a 02/09 cruise in the same cabins we had last month (in a holiday-period sailing) and the price has increased considerably.:eek:

We are on the last leg of the cruise. Leaving tonight to return to Honolulu. This is our 9th cruise, 5 with NCL and will be the last. The service on this ship has benn appauling. We have a little advantage having a suite, but I do feel sorry for the passengers who have been treated so rude. We to have had a few unkind things said to us by NCL employees. We took a suite because that was all that was left when we booked so we bit the big one and did it. Not that I expect to be waited on hand and foot, but free style does not work on this ship!!! However, I am not going to let them upset my memories of the first time in Hawaii. Just have a lot of patience, make a reservation at the free style dinning room and ignore the rude people.

• Administrators
We are on the last leg of the cruise. Leaving tonight to return to Honolulu. This is our 9th cruise, 5 with NCL and will be the last. The service on this ship has benn appauling. We have a little advantage having a suite, but I do feel sorry for the passengers who have been treated so rude. We to have had a few unkind things said to us by NCL employees. We took a suite because that was all that was left when we booked so we bit the big one and did it. Not that I expect to be waited on hand and foot, but free style does not work on this ship!!! However, I am not going to let them upset my memories of the first time in Hawaii. Just have a lot of patience, make a reservation at the free style dinning room and ignore the rude people.

What cruise? Are you currently on the Pride of Aloha? The fact that you say "freestyle does not work on this ship!" tends to indicate that you agree with NCL management that the decision to pull the Aloha is probably a good one.

I hope you hang onto those good memories you say you have -- and though with you having spent your money on this cruise and being the consumer, I do agree that you have some right to expect superb service, please DO try to recall that the folks on that ship just learned DURING your cruise that in a couple of months their ship, and their jobs, are vanishing. :( That can make even the sunniest person have a few bad days.

I live in Asia and I look forward to seeing the Pride of Aloha (probably renamed by then) over here.

Star Cruises will move the Superstar Virgo to Hong Kong from Singapore in April, so I guess the Pride of Aloha will go to Singapore to take its place. Star Cruises has been facing some stiff competition from RCCL recently here in Asia.

NCLA's problem was that they had to lower fares to the point that they could not make a profit. $499 dollars for a seven day Hawaii cruise is ridiculous, there is no way this could go on forever. I am surprised that it went on as long as it did.

I believe that this is good news for NCLA.

We were booked on the aloha for this august. Got an email and voice message from NCL today about the change. I, for one, am very happy. We are getting a better ship, the same cabin category and a $200 cabin credit. The change in day makes no difference as we will be in Hawaii a couple of days before and after the original cruise.

Should I be looking at a down side????

What cruise? Are you currently on the Pride of Aloha? The fact that you say "freestyle does not work on this ship!" tends to indicate that you agree with NCL management that the decision to pull the Aloha is probably a good one.

I can see where the POA is not the best ship for Freestyle. It is a smaller ship with only two main dining rooms and 3 specialty restaurants. No "Blue Lagoon" either and the buffet is smaller than on other NCL ships.

The POA is one of the last "small" ships in the NCL fleet. After she's gone, only the Majesty and Dream will be left.

We were booked on the aloha for this august. Got an email and voice message from NCL today about the change. I, for one, am very happy. We are getting a better ship, the same cabin category and a $200 cabin credit. The change in day makes no difference as we will be in Hawaii a couple of days before and after the original cruise.

I do agree that NCL's compensation package is fair and more than adequate. At least they did one thing right....

No down side based on what you say...a better ship, cabin credit, and no need to change your travel plans.

My TA have spoken to NCL and we have been transfered over to POAM on 30.08.2008. We were not told our definite cabin number yet they said this would take a few days to work out.

I can relax my honeymoon is ok. :p

Katie ;)

I called this morning at exactly 0900 EST and waited only 10 minutes before having 3 stateroom reservations switched to the Pride of America for September 20. It took a little time to get all the details worked out and the rooms we wanted secured, but Wendy did a great job and made sure I was happy with the new arrangements. The onboard credit imho was quite adequate and the process wasn't really that difficult.

Granted, I was on "hold" for a lengthy time yesterday before giving up but with the $100 onboard credit, I'll just treat myself to a massage onboard for all the stress... ;)

Mark

Archived