Almost missed the ship ?

goingagain

I know I've told htis story before... but it was a doozy. I'll share it again for those that haven't read it. ;)

We also almost missed the ship - on embarkation.

We were going on a family cruise out of Miami over Christmas week, 2006. It was on Costa. I had been worried about my parents - they were flying in day of, but we were smart - we had flights leaving out of NY the day before. The plan was for me to go to work in the city in the morning. And my husband was going to meet me at the airport. I was going to take the AirTrain to Jamaica and then head to JFK that way.

Well, there was a change of plan. My husband had to make a delivery in the city, so he chose to pick me up instead. He was running late - he was supposed bo there at 12:30, but didn't show until 2pm. Our flight was not until 4:30, so we thought we had enough time...

You all can see where this is going, right? ;)

We got stuck in a traffic jam to end all traffic jams. To make a very VERY long story short, by the time we got to the airport, our flight was long gone, and there was no way that they could get us to Miami until Sunday at the earliest.

So....

We hopped in the car. And drove. 22 hours straight to Florida. The ship was not supposed to leave until 7pm... we pulled up to the pier at 5pm... it took us 3 hours to get through embarkation (can you imagine.. pulling up to the pier when you figure there would be no line at all, after no sleep, and doing nothing but driving for hours on end, and then having to wait another 3 hours to get on board?) - we were the last two people on board ship before they took off. That was at 8pm or so.

So... we no longer fly on holiday weekends as well. And we also allow enough time, flight-wise, to be able to drive it if we needed to to catch the ship.

We almost missed embarkation.

We (DW, DS, DD) were on the July 1 sailing of the Triumph Last year. We decided to fly in TWO days early and stay in a hotel and take in some sights. Since we were coming in that early we figured that was insurance enough.We saved about $500 by flying into FLL from Raleigh instead of MIA. We had a layover at Hartsfield.

Thursday June 29

We were all excited and arrived 4 hours early for our 8pm flight. I dropped the W & K off at the terminal and then went and parked the car in Long Term. I then rode the shuttle back and we stood in a short line and got our boarding passes. About 40 minutes before our flight was to take off, they scrubbed it due to weather. OK lets go to the booth and get on the next avail. We got up to the counter and the guy had no clue what he was doing. He found 4 seats on the 8am flight but couldn't confirm them. Then he informed me that he had to leave the counter and process luggage at one of the gates and left us standing there cooling our heels for 45 minutes:eek: :confused: :mad: . When a woman came back the only flight she could get us on was the 8pm the next night. We would arrive in FLL at around 2am Saturday morning. Not great but acceptable. We go home and get a good nights sleep.

Friday June 30

Arrive at the airport about 6pm and get right thru security. Flight Delayed 1 hr due to backups at ATL. We then board the plane and wait 1 hour and 15 minutes because the refueling team had gone home. One of the refueling teams from Delta came over and topped us off. I knew we were going to miss our connection. I called the airline while sitting in the plane. I had a rep on the phone getting ready to book an early flight out of ATL the next morning. Before I could get it confirmed, the flight attendant is griping at me to shut my phone off. I pleaded for two minutes. She was a complete <EXPLETIVE> and had her finger on the button. I hung up the phone. We sat and waited for another 15 minutes while I glared poisoned arrows at her. I could see her point if we were taxiing out. She came up and said I'm sor..I blurted before she could finish that her "Whole airline is sorry." and to "Unless you are prepared to fork over $6K for the cruise I am about to forfeit then you can do nothing for me and please just leave me alone." Needless to say we take off from RDU at 10:15. Our connecting flight was at 10:45. It was held up too. It taxiied out 5 minutes before we landed. I then immediately went to the courtesy phones to play flight bingo while my wife went looking for an open courtesy desk. There were 20-30 people on the phones who were stating 15-20 minute holds. Miraculously, I got thru in about 2.5 minutes. I got several angry and puzzled stares and justifiably so. (OK, the tide is starting to turn. We're gonna make it afterall.) I book us on a Noon flight that will land in FLL at 1:56pm.

Saturday July 1 (Sailing Day!!)

If you have never experienced the accomodations at Atlanta's Hartsfield Airport, then this is one "excursion" that is a "can't miss" The AirTran (like the suspense on the airline) had a line that was about 5 miles long. It was at this point I was really, really close to renting a 1 way from Hertz and Driving from ATL to MIA. Due to the fatigue factor I rolled the dice. There were people stranded from everywhere and there were people fighting over blankets because the AirTran people said that even though they had more in the back room, they had reached their quota on the amount they could give out. They had reached their quota on hotel room vouchers too. It was like an angry mob. At any moment I expected torches to be lit. Did I mention that two weeks earlier I quit smoking. We'll needless to say I fell off the wagon and landed hard. I was able to secure a pair of blankets for my kids and ended up spending the night laying across 4 seats. I got about 2-3 hrs of sleep and started trying to fly stand-by on some earlier flights. No dice.

I watched the clock tick closer to noon. 10:30 ... 10:45 ... 11:00 HEY!!! our plane just arrived at the gate. WE ARE GONNA MAKE IT. 11:15 ... 11:30 ... NOOOOOO!!!!! Another flight took our plane *****!!!!:eek: ......Go to our new gate. Gate attendant says our flight will take off at 12:35 (Smoke is coming off of my bald head as I'm crunching the numbers (Flight 1hr...50min...15min to get luggage....40min from FLL to Port of MIA..) Just enough time. Called Carnival. Nothing they could really do. No ins. my bad. I start rubbing my head as I do when I am nervous and stressed. I can't make a complete sentence. I'm tired, angry, frustrated, you name it. We sit on the floor as we watch the minutes tick by and I can hear the ships whistle as it eases away from the dock as we are running into the port. 12:00 ... 12:15 ... 12:20 ... WHY AREN'T WE BOARDING.... This is at the point where my wife loses it. Let me preface this by saying my wife is the toughest woman I know. She would rather cut off her arm, than have a crying fit in front of me, let alone with 100's of people watching. We are sitting right next to the flight crew for our plane when it all comes pouring out. The flight attendant Erica (aka godsend) stooped down and asked her what was the matter. My wife explained our ordeal between the sobs. The captain came over and apologized on behalf of the airline (This was the first time since this whole thing started where were being treated like customers.) We boarded the plane about 12:30.....and sat......and sat......and sat.... 12:35 ... 12:40 (head smoking again as my number crunching is active again) and The cockpit door was open and I could hear the captain giving someone a piece of his mind. Whether or not that was for us I'll never know. All I know is that two minutes later 12:42 we back away from the Jetway. Out of my window I see a line of planes that looked like Boston Rush Hour Traffic. And we are at the extreme rear end. 12:45 ... 12:48 ...12:50 ... 12:55 (minutes seem like they are about 10 seconds long) 1:00 ...1:05 ...Cleared for Takeoff.

OK, we are in the air. I had made a request back at Hartsfield to find out exactly where our luggage was. I got a confirmation that it had been sitting in the AirTran Luggage office since 9:50 am. OK. good. Lets see 1:05 + 110 minutes = 2:55 + 15 minutes(to get luggage) = 3:05 + 40 minute cab ride to Port of MIA = 3:45. We will just make it if there are no more problems. I am sweating bullets. I have never been so stressed in all my life. This is where the crew of that plane went over and above. First, free drinks, and I needed one. Second, Erica and Nigel the flight attendants made announcements for everyone to stay seated when the plane taxis in to let some cruise passengers off first. Third, the captain flew the wings off of that plane. I don't know how he did it (unless there is some fluff in flight times) but what was supposed to be a 1hr and 50 minute flight turned into a flight of 1 hr and 31 minutes. We pulled up to the jetway at FLL at 2:36 pm. Before the plane stopped the flight attendants had us at the door. After a quick sincere thank you (I already had their names written down.) We bolted up the jetway and into the terminal full speed. Without breaking stride, I asked the gate attendant directions to AirTran luggage claim. Turn left, down the escalator. The clock in the terminal said 2:38 GOD BLESS THAT FLIGHT CREW. As we went down the escalator I got to take my first stressless breath in 12 hours. We were met a the bottom of the escalator by the Carnival Rep that said the boat was being held till 5 due to all of the late planes. (This was 4th of July weekend with Weather problems).

We leisurely got our luggage got in a cab and rode to the Port of Miami arriving about 3:30. Hey look at it this way, NO LINES TO CHECK IN!!!! NO PICTURES!! After spending the night in an airport we were ripe and not exactly in picture taking form. Went to our room, dropped the carryons and DW and I Immediately went to the nearest bar for 2 DOTD's. AAAAAAaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

What I learned from this ordeal.

1. NEVER go on a cruise during a holiday weekend.

2. ALWAYS Fly NON-STOP cost be damned.

Side Note: I called The Bahia Mar Hotel in Ft. Lauderdale after we missed the thurs flight. The operator said to see if you can get a refund when you check in the following day. I called again when we found better:rolleyes: accomodations at Hartsfield. I told them to let go of my reservation I would not make it and I completely understood the cancellation policy and would forfeit the cash:mad: . However, I was never charged one red cent. For that very reason, Even though I've heard some things on this site, I will be staying there this June on our Liberty Trip.

Just reading this made my blood pressure go up. Still, I'm so glad that you guys made the ship, after all of that stress and frustration. It surely made the vacation all the more needed and satisfying.

And BTW: "ended up spending the night laying across 4 seats. I got about 2-3 hrs of sleep" - Been there and Done that in the Atlanta Airport - I HATE Atlanta Airport and Delta.

A few weeks ago, I was on my way home from Sacramento to Nashville, with a 2 hour layover in Atlanta. The flight was delayed by about 15 minutes. No big deal. I sat at the gate and read my book. Unannounced, Delta changed the boarding gate and moved the time back to regular schedule. I realized the change about 10 minutes before the departure, and went to ask the desk lady about the flight and she said oh it changed gates and it's already boarded, you better run. I hauled ass down the way, and they shut the door just before I got there. The desk lady there, never ONCE looked at me, she just said the door is closed and your seat has been given to someone else, so go to customer service. There were 20+ random passengers that missed that plane (all of us with long layovers, so had been at the gate for quite sometime). Ended up spending the night in the airport trying to sleep on a couch. There were people trying to sleep everywhere: on tables, the floor, chairs, couches, etc (while the cleaning crew buffed the floors around the people). The next morning I was at the boarding gate 4 hours early, I sat directly in front of the sign and watched it. Gate changed about an hour before departure, and again with no announcement. I told the group of people that had also missed the plane and we all headed over to the new gate.

That's my only bad experience in an airport, but it was crappy enough - I sure hope I never have to spend the night in an airport again. Oh, and I got a free Delta tshirt and toothbrush for my 'troubles'...

[quote name='wrp96']20 minutes is an illegal connection time at most airports. If you are flying Delta all the way, look up and see what other flights they have that would get you to the port then call Delta directly. They should change you at no charge to another flight (either on Delta or one of their partners). Otherwise you need to call Travelocity. Do not wait until you get to the airport and hope everything goes okay.[/quote]

Delta is really doing some crazy schedule changes these days - call them and check on changing. Last week they changed my connecting flight home to leaving 3 minutes before my first flight was due to arrive in Atlanta.:rolleyes: :eek: Not sure how that was supposed to work. Then the lady at the call center (who didn't speak much English) wanted to know why I booked it that way!:mad: This is after we originally booked nonstop flights that were changed to connections and nowhere near the times we booked. We are now on our 5th schedule change since we booked in February and still have over 3 months to go! The only saving grace so far has been that they let me change my flights to our home airport at no charge since they were no longer nonstop - when we originally booked we booked from Raleigh.

I can't come close to Triad's story - I was sweating just reading that!

We did have a close call last time, though. We were booked to fly out at 6pm the day before our cruise but last time but ended up with weather delays and weren't going to be able to make our connection, all other flights out were overbooked, US Air was trying to tell us they couldn't get us into FLL until 4pm the next day. (OMG - that's sailing time!!!) At that point they couldn't even tell us how long the flight would be delayed or if it would make it at all. They tried alternate airports on both ends - nothing. The lady must have looked at flights for 20 minutes, called other airlines, offered to fly us north to Philly so we could spend the night in their airport and take our chances on a standby flight the next morning.

I was doing my best not to cry - I booked the cruise over a year ahead and here I was the day before thinking that I might not make it! I don't know what happened but finally she was able to get us on the first flight out the next morning and sent us home for the night. Don't know how they suddenly did it but from all the pointing and whispering at the screen I suspect they may have bumped someone. I feel bad for them if they did, but we did make the cruise! Luckily the fog wasn't too bad the next morning. I stressed the whole rest of the night - I knew our area tends to get fogged in after heavy rain. We got back up at 2am to head back to the airport for our 6am flight. Our first flight was delayed 15 minutes and we only had a 35 minute connection in Charlotte before the delay - and the terminal was all the way on the opposite end of the airport of course! We landed and took off running across the airport - they made last call for boarding just as we rolled up to the gate. Whew! I was so glad when we finally reached FLL I could have kissed the ground! It's no way to start a vacation that stressed out.

Archived