Almost missed the ship ?

goingagain

We were on an excursion in St. Lucia last Oct (with well known tour guide) and on the way back from touring around island we run into a traffic jam...The driver gets on his phone and calls somebody and all we could understand him saying was sh** and flood...there had been a lot of rain in the downtown area while we were out touring (and drinking alot)... at this time we still had like a hour and half to get back to ship (we can see ship but can 't get to it)...we turn around and back track a few miles (along with everybody else)...I have to hand it to our driver he got us back to the ship with maybe 10 min. to spare...Thanks Baptiste...It wasn't funny at the time, but it sure is now.

We were in on the Grand at our last stop in Cozumel. It was early in the morning, just after pulling up to dock. We had not yet been cleared for deboarding and I noticed a couple coming up to the ship. She was about 20 feet ahead of him and they did not look one bit happy with each other. There body language spoke volumes. They looked scraggly and had no luggage. They carried nothing, not even a backpack. They seemed to be expected and were quickly let on to the ship. Shortly after that we were cleared to disembark. I think the couple must have gotten left at our last stop. It looked like they may have come from one of those dune buggy excursions because they were wearing long pants and looked quite dusty!

Then, later in the afternoon at the very same stop, we were docked across the pier from a Carnival ship. We were scheduled to leave in about a half hour but the Carnival ship was boarded and ready to sail. We kept hearing “Would Mr._____ from cabin #_____ report to the purser’s desk immediately” from the other ship. Suddenly we hear the Carnival ship sound several long blasts. We got a bird’s eye view from our balcony. The captain and several of the officers were pacing the bridge looking through binoculars. They did not look happy. After several more blasts we noticed a guy RUNNING full speed down that very long Cozumel pier with one of the Mexican guards rushing him along each time he slowed. It was the funniest thing I have ever seen. As he neared the ship he was winded and slowed to a walk….well for that, he got one more looong BLAST of the horn. So funny!!! :D

I almost got left behind in Puerto Vallarta. Went on one of those all you can drink excursions. Well, you can imagine how that went, lol. When we got back, we had 1 hour before the ship sailed. We figured we had plenty of time to shop at the mercado right at the dock and get on with no troubles. WRONG! Alcohol and shopping are a dangerous mix. We lollygagged and took our sweet time, without realizing it. As we went to get on the ship, I found it odd that they knew our names before we gave them our S&S card. The cheers from the balconies confused us. It didnt occur to us something was unusal when they pulled up the gangplank the second our feet were on board. As we walked past the check in, towards the elevators, I looked at my watch. How could it be just after 5? Isnt the ship supposed to leave at 5? We didnt lag that much, did we? After reviewing the pictures of the day, we saw just how we lagged, seeing pictured we dont remember taking, lol. We also got a lot of ribbing from our tablemates, who watched us from thier balconys. OPPS!! It certainly taught us to be more careful with drinking on excursions.

Edited in: The crew was very good-natured about it. The security people ribbed us the next couple of days when they saw us. We would get funny looks as to why security was ribbing us. Our waiter also joined in, as he heard the story from my tablemates. Ironically, we almost intentionally missed the ship later on in Zihatanejo, with plans of joining back up with the ship in Manzinillo. We never inquired with the ship about it and didnt follow through with it, but did consider it! I wonder how that would have worked, had we done it.

We missed the ship on our very first cruise (on Elation) due to a computer outage with the airlines. We finally arrived in Galveston just as the ship was sailing. However, the airline (can't remember which) flew us out to the next port, Progresso, all expenses paid until we arrived onto the ship!

I will definitely fly out the day before on all future cruises! Mexico was fun, but we still missed the 1st two days, which included the captain's party!

I just went on the Cayamo cruise. It is basically a music filled cruise with like 31 artists onboard with concerts all day/night long at the different venues/lounges. Anyhow, our first stop was Cozumel. 3 of the artists didn't make it back in time. They joined us the next day in Grand Cayman. They said that they were on the wrong time. They used Cozumel time instead of ship time. I will say that they did give them like 30 minutes or more and called their name several times.

On the other side of it. Before we sailed away my friend called my cell telling me that they called the cabin looking for my mom, that they had her exiting the ship. I then heard her name and was like omg, *****? I knew she was on the ship. My mom said she put her card in the enter and the Carnival guy pulled her card out and put it in the exit. We were about 40 minutes late sailing away. Before the cruise I told my mom not to embarrass me and here she was delaying the cruise. I know it wasn't her fault but still...

• 1 month later...

Here we go again. Triad Booked another Cruise complete with airfare from NC to FLL. Going on the Liberty June 21st(Note: Not a holiday weekend). Lets see what kind of drama we can get ourselves into this time.

What airline you ask?

Only the one that has been the star of CNN this week. You can only imagine my unbridled joy when I booked non-stop flights for 4 people for $466.00 back in February. Only to have that joy go to hell in a Biscoff Cookie basket last Saturday morning. I really can't blame Skybus though. They tried to pull off a consumer friendly business plan and like many businesses who don't take their customers for all they can (**Cough** Petroleum **Cough**), they have about the same chance as me getting to a cruise port with no issues.

However, there are some bright spots here. I purchased the tickets with my Pocket Check card and my Bank is going to recover the $466.00. (Really didn't expect that to happen). Second, it was early enough in the process to book another flight without much trouble.

I'm beginning to think that it would be less stressful and simpler just to hitch-hike to the cruise port. So if you are traveling thru NC, SC, GA, or FL and see a bald guy with a wife and two kids in tow complete with 8 suitcases with his thumb out, you'll know something happened to my current flight as well.

Took a 1 year June anniversary cruise to Bermuda with our best friends, who were married 1 week before us. (25 years ago this June!) First cruise ever, and we had a great time. We were docked in Bermuda, and sitting at Horseshoe Bay when we heard 3 long toots of the ship's horn. Now, we figured it was a 2 hour warning blast - had never cruised before, what did we know? We were sitting on the ship's very distinctive stripped towels, and someone ran up to us and said - "your ship is leaving in a few minutes". We thought they were kidding us, as we still had 3 hours before we were to leave port. Well, we RAN back to the ship, and they pulled the gangplank as we got on board, and away we sailed. Seemed a very fast moving hurricane changed course, and was headed toward Bermuda, and the captain decided to leave early. To this day, we make sure we are back on whatever ship it is hours before we are due to leave!

So what I can gather from reading these stories is that most of the time that people were left behind was possibly due to alcohol consumption. Has anyone heard of someone missing the ship because of an excursion, not booked through the cruiseline? This is a realy concern of ours for our Legend cruise. After looking over the ship's excursions there is nothing that really appeals to us but plenty of independent tour guides that offer what we are looking for. I want to go ahead and book independently buy am kind of afraid that we might just miss the ship. Has anyone had this experience?

In Grand Caymen several years ago, our two teenage daughters did the Swim with the Sting Rays shore tour (through Carnival). Having done it before, my husband and I decided to relax, shop a little and stay mostly on the boat. Half an hour after the tour was supposed to end we bgan looking at our watches. We thought they were shopping, went on shore, looked around a bit and back to the ship. Time passed. Half an hour before sail time, we checked at the pursers desk and wee told the tour was very late coming back but they would wait. A few minutes before sail time, we took our money, wallets and Id's and took the tender on shore to wait with the Carnival dock personnel. We were taking no Chances!;) . The tour came back an hour or more late, but because it was a Carnival tour they waited.

It turned out that the tour had been overbooked, they had used a tour operator that was not one of their regulars and it had turned into the excursion from Hell. For many reasons. But afterwards, Carnival refunded the entire excursion price to all who participated.

Having seen a pretty commonplace tour go awry, I have never felt comfortable booking on my own although I am sometimes tempted to savethe money!

My first cruise on NCL dream was interesting. To this day it remains my favorite ship, but anyway, it all started on day one. Scheduled to depart at 5pm. Was up on deck to find a place to park for the sail away party around 4:30 and noticed we were already pulling out. I really just thought I was mistaken on when we were suppose to leave. Nope, we had left 30 min early.

First stop Cozumel. 8-6. I woke up about 5:30 that morning with anouncements being made, we were already docked. They started letting people off at 6 am. Because of the extra time that morning, we got back on the ship at about 4:30. Changed and went to dinner. I looked up and noticed we were moving. Looked at my watch 5:30. We were leaving early again.

The exact same thing happened in each of the next three ports. We arrived early and left early. We called our captain Captain lead foot. I have never been on a ship before or since that travelled as fast as that ship did.

I asked the guys checking people in and they said the captain was called when the last person clocked in and we were on our way before they even got the door closed. So I am guessing we didn't leave anyone.

Triad--reading your 1st post makes me nervous for hubby's and my cruise this July 06. We are flying in a day early (on delta no doubt) and our time between layovers has been changed twice now. We now have 20 minutes at our layover to find the next plane flight to MIA.

Unforuntately, I got our tickets from travelocity (but I did buy insurance) so I just hope we don't miss our connecting flight!!!

Thanks for the story, it was a nerve racking read!:eek:

Here we go again. Triad Booked another Cruise complete with airfare from NC to FLL. Going on the Liberty June 21st(Note: Not a holiday weekend). Lets see what kind of drama we can get ourselves into this time.

What airline you ask?

Only the one that has been the star of CNN this week. You can only imagine my unbridled joy when I booked non-stop flights for 4 people for $466.00 back in February. Only to have that joy go to hell in a Biscoff Cookie basket last Saturday morning. I really can't blame Skybus though. They tried to pull off a consumer friendly business plan and like many businesses who don't take their customers for all they can (**Cough** Petroleum **Cough**), they have about the same chance as me getting to a cruise port with no issues.

However, there are some bright spots here. I purchased the tickets with my Pocket Check card and my Bank is going to recover the $466.00. (Really didn't expect that to happen). Second, it was early enough in the process to book another flight without much trouble.

I'm beginning to think that it would be less stressful and simpler just to hitch-hike to the cruise port. So if you are traveling thru NC, SC, GA, or FL and see a bald guy with a wife and two kids in tow complete with 8 suitcases with his thumb out, you'll know something happened to my current flight as well.

Only if i see you scratching your head Then i will know you need me :D

I make sure when we cruise that we have a credit card with alot of available credit on it just in case we miss the ship and have to fly to the next port. We always take extra copies of all our documents with us. Ive seen so many people miss the ship especially in Cozumel. On our last cruise we saw people being wheeled on the ship in wheel chairs. Seems they all were partying at Carlos and Charlies and the sober ones went back to the ship and got the wheel chairs. We left several people behind on that cruise but they got on the pilot boat and got on the ship. I dont think if you were drunk you could climb up that rope.

ok...if we're going to count our own fault stories then i almost missed the ship in.. aruba, cozumel, aruba again, cancun, and playa del carmen.....

hmmmmm now that I think about it..., it seems i almost miss the ship where ever there's a carlos and charlies............strange

D***ed Carlos & Charlies! They get you every time. We almost missed the ship in Cozumel. I still don't remember how we got back. I guess we caught the last tender. All I remember is waking up around midnight and smelling tequila. The pics from that "excursion" are under wraps!! :p

Triad--reading your 1st post makes me nervous for hubby's and my cruise this July 06. We are flying in a day early (on delta no doubt) and our time between layovers has been changed twice now. We now have 20 minutes at our layover to find the next plane flight to MIA.

Unforuntately, I got our tickets from travelocity (but I did buy insurance) so I just hope we don't miss our connecting flight!!!

Thanks for the story, it was a nerve racking read!:eek:

20 minutes is an illegal connection time at most airports. If you are flying Delta all the way, look up and see what other flights they have that would get you to the port then call Delta directly. They should change you at no charge to another flight (either on Delta or one of their partners). Otherwise you need to call Travelocity. Do not wait until you get to the airport and hope everything goes okay.

On my first cruise we were about 45 minutes late returning from an excursion in Cozumel. It was an excursion booked through the ship AND the captain's daughter was with us so they waited. They set sail as soon as we were on board. That's the latest I have ever been. :)

May 2005

Carnival Glory

Belize

About 23 of us from the CC Roll Call had grouped together to book a private Cave Tubing excursion. Due to the size of our group, the tour operator hired a bus (he usually operated in a van). As we neared the resort where we would get off the bus, it started to become obvious that the bus was REALLY struggling to get over any hills and had to back up and get a second run for one of the last hills.

We all did the Cave tubing thing, had a great time... got back on the bus.

The first gradual incline that we came to, the bus couldn't get over it. He had to back up several times getting a run for the hill before he finally got over the hill... yep... transmission was going and time was getting short (I think we actually got off the bus to reduce weight so he would make it).

After more simular hills, we were finally getting into the city when the bus pulled over... stalled (time is really getting short). Driver got it going, and went a bit further... bus stalled again... it would not start again... motor problems this time... (did I mention, time is real short...).

Tour operator got on his phone and started calling for taxi's. Time getting really really short.

Taxi by taxi, we get halled off to the pier... I understand at least one of the group actually traveled in the trunk of a taxi.

No time to stop and shop... last tender was leaving... we made it.

A boat did chase down the Glory after we had raised anchor and left... Glory stopped and some people got on the Glory... never heard if they were from our excursion or not.

During our crusie on the Oosterdam, on the last port, Puerta Vallarta during dinner we heard an announcement for Ms So and So and Ms Such and Such in cabin whatever please contact the pursuers desk. This announcement was repeated several times and each with more urgency.

After dinner my DH and I took our usual stroll on the pormandard deck (to walk off dinner) and as we came around the corner facing Wal-Mart (yeah, a Wal-Mart in Puerta Vallarts, who would thunk it) we noticed to women (1 culching a large bag), 2 men and a port authority guy running towards the ship. The port dude had a radio to his head. I'm assuming talking to the captain.

As we came abreast of the group, I lean over and look down and the ship is about 25' from the dock. Being the smart a** that I am I yollered down "Can ya swim". For some reason that wasn't well received. They got lucky, the captain pulled back in.

The rope ladder was thrown out first, but I think the ladies were a little to inebreated to manage the rope ladder. By this time quite a crowd had formed on the deck. The gang blank was hauled out with a bunch of stuff on it. The lady with the bag gave the bag to one of the men with them and they both proceeded to cross the gang plank with a lot of hopping, yollering and clapping to accompany them.

The man on the dock pulled out a large bottle and waved to goodby to us.

It was quite the experience to see and reinforced my belief to also get back on board at least an hour before due.

During our crusie on the Oosterdam, on the last port, Puerta Vallarta during dinner we heard an announcement for Ms So and So and Ms Such and Such in cabin whatever please contact the pursuers desk. This announcement was repeated several times and each with more urgency.

After dinner my DH and I took our usual stroll on the pormandard deck (to walk off dinner) and as we came around the corner facing Wal-Mart (yeah, a Wal-Mart in Puerta Vallarts, who would thunk it) we noticed to women (1 culching a large bag), 2 men and a port authority guy running towards the ship. The port dude had a radio to his head. I'm assuming talking to the captain.

As we came abreast of the group, I lean over and look down and the ship is about 25' from the dock. Being the smart a** that I am I yollered down "Can ya swim". For some reason that wasn't well received. They got lucky, the captain pulled back in.

The rope ladder was thrown out first, but I think the ladies were a little to inebreated to manage the rope ladder. By this time quite a crowd had formed on the deck. The gang blank was hauled out with a bunch of stuff on it. The lady with the bag gave the bag to one of the men with them and they both proceeded to cross the gang plank with a lot of hopping, yollering and clapping to accompany them.

The man on the dock pulled out a large bottle and waved to goodby to us.

It was quite the experience to see and reinforced my belief to also get back on board at least an hour before due.

Add 100 to 200 people and a lot more booze and it would look like a normal return from C&C's in Coz.:D

Coming back from a tour of ruins everyone was hot and tired. It had been 90 degrees that day and it was time to head back to the ship. I decided I wanted a margarita... I told DH and kids to head to the ship I would be right there...I went and got my drink...heard the horn blast and headed to the pier...a lady comes up to me and hands me a $20 that I had just dropped. I said thank, and WOW! nice lady! Then I looked behind me to see what else may have dropped and I see a trail of visa receipts and such that had fallen out of my zippered inside pouch I had been carrying. I checked the pouch... no license and no Visa card...UGH!!! I back tracked a little and found nothing but a few blown receipts... a few nice people saw what had happened and offered a little help, but there was nothing to be found. I found a guard and spoke with him, as I was talking to him the second horn blew... I had to go!!! Now I realize that I NEEDED my license to get back into the U.S. and onto my flight... what was I going to do? I gave the guard my info and he called all the other guards on duty and said he would be in contact with the ship if they found anything...I said thanks and headed to the ship.

I was alone on the pier, feeling VERY small next to that BIG ship...I hoped and prayed that some nice person had found my stuff and done the right thing with it....They closed the door about minutes after I got on...MAN did that Margarita come in handy at keeping me calm.

After going to the pursers desk and telling them what happened the lady assured me she would see what could be done. About an hour after sailing I got a call and someone had indeed turned in my license and credit card... I wanted to buy them a drink but they wanted to stay anonymous... MAN what a memory...:)

Last Dec., young Dan and I took a cruise [on another line] that stopped in Coz. He and I went to C&C's and had a couple of drinks. We left and I headed back to the tender, he headed for the beach. Near sailing time, 3 or 4 different groups came up to me on the ship and said Dan had missed the last tender. Somehow, tho we are quiet and shy, we always become well known the first few days of a cruise. Anyway, they tell me they left C&C's in time for the last tender and he didn't come with them and they held up the tender for 45 minutes but he never showed. I tell them he left C&C's way back in the daylight. "No! He was just at C&C's!" "No, I saw him on the ship earlier." say I. "No, he was in the bar and missed the ship!"

Well none of them were exactly sober and I have total faith young Dan will not get himself in the soup. But I go to the purser to check if anybody missed the ship. No. I go to our suite to shower and dress. While I'm dressing , he comes in the room. I tell him of all the worriers. He says "Yeah, I did go back to C&C's and have another drink." I say, "One drink, bright eyes?" He says, "Maybe two." Then he starts unloading his backpack. He takes out one of the big red double shot glasses from C&C's, then a second, and a third, fourth, fifth, and sixth glass. "Maybe I aughta take a little nap." he says. Saw the other folks up on the pool deck later told them he was sleeping, and we all had a good laugh.

Dan

I am one of these people. We were on the RCCL ship Rhapsody of the Seas and our first port was Key West. I was on this cruise with some family and being the only single member that was of age I was on my own a lot. I met a couple single ladies on the cruise, sisters that I hung out with. We were in Key West partying, going from bar to bar and later in the evening it was just me and one of the sisters We were having a great time and my cell phone rings, its my Dad. He asked if I was onboard and I said no and he asked if I know what time the ship left and I gave him the time I thought it left which was an hour later than it was actually leaving. They had been calling for us over the loudspeaker and calling my room looking for us. In a panic we leave the bar grab one of those bicycle taxis and he rushes us to the ship. As we walk up the people at the door call us by name (I guess we were the only 2 missing) and as I walk on I look over and see the thrusters going. By the time we got up to pool level we were well away from the dock so if we were like 1 minute later the boat would have been gone.

I've heard that if you miss the ship they don't allow you to get back on if you were to just fly to the next port and they in fact ban you for life. Fortunately I didn't get to find out what happens.

Archived