Almost missed the ship ?

goingagain

i keep reading about people that almost missed the ship, and they usually (according to most posts on CC ) are themselves at fault.

I'd figure I'd give them a chance to explain why they almost missed the ship, and if it was really not their fault.

so if you almost missed your ship, I'd love to hear why, and whose fault you think it was...( private excursion, taxi accident etc....)

i keep reading about people that almost missed the ship, and they usually (according to most posts on CC ) are themselves at fault.

I'd figure I'd give them a chance to explain why they almost missed the ship, and if it was really not their fault.

so if you almost missed your ship, I'd love to hear why, and whose fault you think it was...( private excursion, taxi accident etc....)

thanks for giving everyone a chance... thats really nice of ya

thanks for giving everyone a chance... thats really nice of ya

actually I'm bored at work and need to hear some funny stories about people almost missing the ship..:D

I figured this would be the only way to get them to share without feeling like they'd get jumped in the back alley of cruisecritic for even trying to say it wasn't their fault...;)

actually I'm bored at work and need to hear some funny stories about people almost missing the ship..:D

I figured this would be the only way to get them to share without feeling like they'd get jumped in the back alley of cruisecritic for even trying to say it wasn't their fault...;)

I like hearing those stories to:D

I was one of those people. Thank God I didn't miss it, but I was pretty darn close. It was during Spring Break in college. We were at port in New Orleans and I had one too many Hurricanes. COMPLETELY my fault!!!!!! Luckily I wasn't so late that I held up the cruise. I think there were a lot of late comers that day....

I was one of those people. Thank God I didn't miss it, but I was pretty darn close. It was during Spring Break in college. We were at port in New Orleans and I had one too many Hurricanes. COMPLETELY my fault!!!!!! Luckily I wasn't so late that I held up the cruise. I think there were a lot of late comers that day....

ok...if we're going to count our own fault stories then i almost missed the ship in.. aruba, cozumel, aruba again, cancun, and playa del carmen.....

hmmmmm now that I think about it..., it seems i almost miss the ship where ever there's a carlos and charlies............strange

ok...if we're going to count our own fault stories then i almost missed the ship in.. aruba, cozumel, aruba again, cancun, and playa del carmen.....

hmmmmm now that I think about it..., it seems i almost miss the ship where ever there's a carlos and charlies............strange

Ditto here

Though I don't know if I should admit this, I think it's rather funny when I literally watch them miss it. On my last cruise, the Glory in March 2006, as we were about to leave I was on our balcony, and I saw about 4 or 5 people running and screaming at the boat and it started taking off. I actually saw one girl curl up and lay on the ground as soon as the ship was leaving.

Though I don't know if I should admit this, I think it's rather funny when I literally watch them miss it. On my last cruise, the Glory in March 2006, as we were about to leave I was on our balcony, and I saw about 4 or 5 people running and screaming at the boat and it started taking off. I actually saw one girl curl up and lay on the ground as soon as the ship was leaving.

Where did that happen? Which port?

Also, what happens when someone misses the boat...are they really stuck in the port and have to find their own way home?? Does this really happen very often? I have always been super paranoid of missing, so I've made SURE I was there in plenty of time!

Also, what happens when someone misses the boat...are they really stuck in the port and have to find their own way home?? Does this really happen very often? I have always been super paranoid of missing, so I've made SURE I was there in plenty of time!

yes it definitely happens...

There is no ryhme or reason to whether or not they'll wait a bit either.

sometimes they wait a half hour....sometimes they leave right away....

I've only been on like 7 or 8 cruises and we've heard people missed the ship twice ourselves....not the best odds!

and yes, they have to pay for their flight to meet up with the ship at the next port... unless they have insurance i suppose... that i'm not sure about

You are in fact on your own.. You can arrange and pay for your own way to the ship's next port of call, or head home...your choice..

Someone missed the ship in Cozumel once. The ship had already left and the people had to get into the Pilot boat and drive up to the cruise ship. Then they had to climb what looked like a rope ladder on the side of the cruise ship to get inside. It was wild. Everyone on deck was cheering for them.

Someone missed the ship in Cozumel once. The ship had already left and the people had to get into the Pilot boat and drive up to the cruise ship. Then they had to climb what looked like a rope ladder on the side of the cruise ship to get inside. It was wild. Everyone on deck was cheering for them.

That IS wild! I would FREAK OUT so bad. My first few cruises, I was so paranoid, I wouldn't even get off the ship in certain ports because I had never left the Country before then...crazy, huh?

That IS wild! I would FREAK OUT so bad. My first few cruises, I was so paranoid, I wouldn't even get off the ship in certain ports because I had never left the Country before then...crazy, huh?

not if you ask the ones who missed their ship..:D

not if you ask the ones who missed their ship..:D

I have a question. Is there any kind of penalty with the Cruise Line? Suppose someone went on a 4 day to Cozumel and decided to extend their vacation in Mexico, so they take their luggage with them when they leave the ship, and just miss it on purpose. Then just get a flight home a few days later.

I have a question. Is there any kind of penalty with the Cruise Line? Suppose someone went on a 4 day to Cozumel and decided to extend their vacation in Mexico, so they take their luggage with them when they leave the ship, and just miss it on purpose. Then just get a flight home a few days later.

funny you asked..

on my first cruise on celebrity constellation there was a guy at the pursers desk saying he wants to stay in st.thomas, and he wants his luggage to stay too...

from what i was able to hear they told him he cannot have his luggage taken off the ship early..

so he said..

"fine I 'll just miss the ship in st. martin and get my bags when i get them.."

I don't know if he was serious or not, but he left on his cell phone telling someone on the other end what he was going to do.

I guess he really loved st. thomas huh?

i don't blame him, but never figured why he didn't just finish the cruise and then go to st. thomas afterwards

We almost missed embarkation.

We (DW, DS, DD) were on the July 1 sailing of the Triumph Last year. We decided to fly in TWO days early and stay in a hotel and take in some sights. Since we were coming in that early we figured that was insurance enough.We saved about $500 by flying into FLL from Raleigh instead of MIA. We had a layover at Hartsfield.

Thursday June 29

We were all excited and arrived 4 hours early for our 8pm flight. I dropped the W & K off at the terminal and then went and parked the car in Long Term. I then rode the shuttle back and we stood in a short line and got our boarding passes. About 40 minutes before our flight was to take off, they scrubbed it due to weather. OK lets go to the booth and get on the next avail. We got up to the counter and the guy had no clue what he was doing. He found 4 seats on the 8am flight but couldn't confirm them. Then he informed me that he had to leave the counter and process luggage at one of the gates and left us standing there cooling our heels for 45 minutes:eek: :confused: :mad: . When a woman came back the only flight she could get us on was the 8pm the next night. We would arrive in FLL at around 2am Saturday morning. Not great but acceptable. We go home and get a good nights sleep.

Friday June 30

Arrive at the airport about 6pm and get right thru security. Flight Delayed 1 hr due to backups at ATL. We then board the plane and wait 1 hour and 15 minutes because the refueling team had gone home. One of the refueling teams from Delta came over and topped us off. I knew we were going to miss our connection. I called the airline while sitting in the plane. I had a rep on the phone getting ready to book an early flight out of ATL the next morning. Before I could get it confirmed, the flight attendant is griping at me to shut my phone off. I pleaded for two minutes. She was a complete <EXPLETIVE> and had her finger on the button. I hung up the phone. We sat and waited for another 15 minutes while I glared poisoned arrows at her. I could see her point if we were taxiing out. She came up and said I'm sor..I blurted before she could finish that her "Whole airline is sorry." and to "Unless you are prepared to fork over $6K for the cruise I am about to forfeit then you can do nothing for me and please just leave me alone." Needless to say we take off from RDU at 10:15. Our connecting flight was at 10:45. It was held up too. It taxiied out 5 minutes before we landed. I then immediately went to the courtesy phones to play flight bingo while my wife went looking for an open courtesy desk. There were 20-30 people on the phones who were stating 15-20 minute holds. Miraculously, I got thru in about 2.5 minutes. I got several angry and puzzled stares and justifiably so. (OK, the tide is starting to turn. We're gonna make it afterall.) I book us on a Noon flight that will land in FLL at 1:56pm.

Saturday July 1 (Sailing Day!!)

If you have never experienced the accomodations at Atlanta's Hartsfield Airport, then this is one "excursion" that is a "can't miss" The AirTran (like the suspense on the airline) had a line that was about 5 miles long. It was at this point I was really, really close to renting a 1 way from Hertz and Driving from ATL to MIA. Due to the fatigue factor I rolled the dice. There were people stranded from everywhere and there were people fighting over blankets because the AirTran people said that even though they had more in the back room, they had reached their quota on the amount they could give out. They had reached their quota on hotel room vouchers too. It was like an angry mob. At any moment I expected torches to be lit. Did I mention that two weeks earlier I quit smoking. We'll needless to say I fell off the wagon and landed hard. I was able to secure a pair of blankets for my kids and ended up spending the night laying across 4 seats. I got about 2-3 hrs of sleep and started trying to fly stand-by on some earlier flights. No dice.

I watched the clock tick closer to noon. 10:30 ... 10:45 ... 11:00 HEY!!! our plane just arrived at the gate. WE ARE GONNA MAKE IT. 11:15 ... 11:30 ... NOOOOOO!!!!! Another flight took our plane *****!!!!:eek: ......Go to our new gate. Gate attendant says our flight will take off at 12:35 (Smoke is coming off of my bald head as I'm crunching the numbers (Flight 1hr...50min...15min to get luggage....40min from FLL to Port of MIA..) Just enough time. Called Carnival. Nothing they could really do. No ins. my bad. I start rubbing my head as I do when I am nervous and stressed. I can't make a complete sentence. I'm tired, angry, frustrated, you name it. We sit on the floor as we watch the minutes tick by and I can hear the ships whistle as it eases away from the dock as we are running into the port. 12:00 ... 12:15 ... 12:20 ... WHY AREN'T WE BOARDING.... This is at the point where my wife loses it. Let me preface this by saying my wife is the toughest woman I know. She would rather cut off her arm, than have a crying fit in front of me, let alone with 100's of people watching. We are sitting right next to the flight crew for our plane when it all comes pouring out. The flight attendant Erica (aka godsend) stooped down and asked her what was the matter. My wife explained our ordeal between the sobs. The captain came over and apologized on behalf of the airline (This was the first time since this whole thing started where were being treated like customers.) We boarded the plane about 12:30.....and sat......and sat......and sat.... 12:35 ... 12:40 (head smoking again as my number crunching is active again) and The cockpit door was open and I could hear the captain giving someone a piece of his mind. Whether or not that was for us I'll never know. All I know is that two minutes later 12:42 we back away from the Jetway. Out of my window I see a line of planes that looked like Boston Rush Hour Traffic. And we are at the extreme rear end. 12:45 ... 12:48 ...12:50 ... 12:55 (minutes seem like they are about 10 seconds long) 1:00 ...1:05 ...Cleared for Takeoff.

OK, we are in the air. I had made a request back at Hartsfield to find out exactly where our luggage was. I got a confirmation that it had been sitting in the AirTran Luggage office since 9:50 am. OK. good. Lets see 1:05 + 110 minutes = 2:55 + 15 minutes(to get luggage) = 3:05 + 40 minute cab ride to Port of MIA = 3:45. We will just make it if there are no more problems. I am sweating bullets. I have never been so stressed in all my life. This is where the crew of that plane went over and above. First, free drinks, and I needed one. Second, Erica and Nigel the flight attendants made announcements for everyone to stay seated when the plane taxis in to let some cruise passengers off first. Third, the captain flew the wings off of that plane. I don't know how he did it (unless there is some fluff in flight times) but what was supposed to be a 1hr and 50 minute flight turned into a flight of 1 hr and 31 minutes. We pulled up to the jetway at FLL at 2:36 pm. Before the plane stopped the flight attendants had us at the door. After a quick sincere thank you (I already had their names written down.) We bolted up the jetway and into the terminal full speed. Without breaking stride, I asked the gate attendant directions to AirTran luggage claim. Turn left, down the escalator. The clock in the terminal said 2:38 GOD BLESS THAT FLIGHT CREW. As we went down the escalator I got to take my first stressless breath in 12 hours. We were met a the bottom of the escalator by the Carnival Rep that said the boat was being held till 5 due to all of the late planes. (This was 4th of July weekend with Weather problems).

We leisurely got our luggage got in a cab and rode to the Port of Miami arriving about 3:30. Hey look at it this way, NO LINES TO CHECK IN!!!! NO PICTURES!! After spending the night in an airport we were ripe and not exactly in picture taking form. Went to our room, dropped the carryons and DW and I Immediately went to the nearest bar for 2 DOTD's. AAAAAAaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

What I learned from this ordeal.

1. NEVER go on a cruise during a holiday weekend.

2. ALWAYS Fly NON-STOP cost be damned.

Side Note: I called The Bahia Mar Hotel in Ft. Lauderdale after we missed the thurs flight. The operator said to see if you can get a refund when you check in the following day. I called again when we found better:rolleyes: accomodations at Hartsfield. I told them to let go of my reservation I would not make it and I completely understood the cancellation policy and would forfeit the cash:mad: . However, I was never charged one red cent. For that very reason, Even though I've heard some things on this site, I will be staying there this June on our Liberty Trip.

In Progreso a few years ago on Glory, the ship had already pulled away from the pier when a couple of people came running towards us. Whoever was in charge must have been feeling really generous that day because they reversed the thrusters, pushed the ship back into place, and pulled out one of the gangways for the last-minute stragglers. Talk about your lucky day!

We almost missed embarkation.

We (DW, DS, DD) were on the July 1 sailing of the Triumph Last year. We decided to fly in TWO days early and stay in a hotel and take in some sights. Since we were coming in that early we figured that was insurance enough.We saved about $500 by flying into FLL from Raleigh instead of MIA. We had a layover at Hartsfield.

Thursday June 29

We were all excited and arrived 4 hours early for our 8pm flight. I dropped the W & K off at the terminal and then went and parked the car in Long Term. I then rode the shuttle back and we stood in a short line and got our boarding passes. About 40 minutes before our flight was to take off, they scrubbed it due to weather. OK lets go to the booth and get on the next avail. We got up to the counter and the guy had no clue what he was doing. He found 4 seats on the 8am flight but couldn't confirm them. Then he informed me that he had to leave the counter and process luggage at one of the gates and left us standing there cooling our heels for 45 minutes:eek: :confused: :mad: . When a woman came back the only flight she could get us on was the 8pm the next night. We would arrive in FLL at around 2am Saturday morning. Not great but acceptable. We go home and get a good nights sleep.

Friday June 30

Arrive at the airport about 6pm and get right thru security. Flight Delayed 1 hr due to backups at ATL. We then board the plane and wait 1 hour and 15 minutes because the refueling team had gone home. One of the refueling teams from Delta came over and topped us off. I knew we were going to miss our connection. I called the airline while sitting in the plane. I had a rep on the phone getting ready to book an early flight out of ATL the next morning. Before I could get it confirmed, the flight attendant is griping at me to shut my phone off. I pleaded for two minutes. She was a complete <EXPLETIVE> and had her finger on the button. I hung up the phone. We sat and waited for another 15 minutes while I glared poisoned arrows at her. I could see her point if we were taxiing out. She came up and said I'm sor..I blurted before she could finish that her "Whole airline is sorry." and to "Unless you are prepared to fork over $6K for the cruise I am about to forfeit then you can do nothing for me and please just leave me alone." Needless to say we take off from RDU at 10:15. Our connecting flight was at 10:45. It was held up too. It taxiied out 5 minutes before we landed. I then immediately went to the courtesy phones to play flight bingo while my wife went looking for an open courtesy desk. There were 20-30 people on the phones who were stating 15-20 minute holds. Miraculously, I got thru in about 2.5 minutes. I got several angry and puzzled stares and justifiably so. (OK, the tide is starting to turn. We're gonna make it afterall.) I book us on a Noon flight that will land in FLL at 1:56pm.

Saturday July 1 (Sailing Day!!)

If you have never experienced the accomodations at Atlanta's Hartsfield Airport, then this is one "excursion" that is a "can't miss" The AirTran (like the suspense on the airline) had a line that was about 5 miles long. It was at this point I was really, really close to renting a 1 way from Hertz and Driving from ATL to MIA. Due to the fatigue factor I rolled the dice. There were people stranded from everywhere and there were people fighting over blankets because the AirTran people said that even though they had more in the back room, they had reached their quota on the amount they could give out. They had reached their quota on hotel room vouchers too. It was like an angry mob. At any moment I expected torches to be lit. Did I mention that two weeks earlier I quit smoking. We'll needless to say I fell off the wagon and landed hard. I was able to secure a pair of blankets for my kids and ended up spending the night laying across 4 seats. I got about 2-3 hrs of sleep and started trying to fly stand-by on some earlier flights. No dice.

I watched the clock tick closer to noon. 10:30 ... 10:45 ... 11:00 HEY!!! our plane just arrived at the gate. WE ARE GONNA MAKE IT. 11:15 ... 11:30 ... NOOOOOO!!!!! Another flight took our plane *****!!!!:eek: ......Go to our new gate. Gate attendant says our flight will take off at 12:35 (Smoke is coming off of my bald head as I'm crunching the numbers (Flight 1hr...50min...15min to get luggage....40min from FLL to Port of MIA..) Just enough time. Called Carnival. Nothing they could really do. No ins. my bad. I start rubbing my head as I do when I am nervous and stressed. I can't make a complete sentence. I'm tired, angry, frustrated, you name it. We sit on the floor as we watch the minutes tick by and I can hear the ships whistle as it eases away from the dock as we are running into the port. 12:00 ... 12:15 ... 12:20 ... WHY AREN'T WE BOARDING.... This is at the point where my wife loses it. Let me preface this by saying my wife is the toughest woman I know. She would rather cut off her arm, than have a crying fit in front of me, let alone with 100's of people watching. We are sitting right next to the flight crew for our plane when it all comes pouring out. The flight attendant Erica (aka godsend) stooped down and asked her what was the matter. My wife explained our ordeal between the sobs. The captain came over and apologized on behalf of the airline (This was the first time since this whole thing started where were being treated like customers.) We boarded the plane about 12:30.....and sat......and sat......and sat.... 12:35 ... 12:40 (head smoking again as my number crunching is active again) and The cockpit door was open and I could hear the captain giving someone a piece of his mind. Whether or not that was for us I'll never know. All I know is that two minutes later 12:42 we back away from the Jetway. Out of my window I see a line of planes that looked like Boston Rush Hour Traffic. And we are at the extreme rear end. 12:45 ... 12:48 ...12:50 ... 12:55 (minutes seem like they are about 10 seconds long) 1:00 ...1:05 ...Cleared for Takeoff.

OK, we are in the air. I had made a request back at Hartsfield to find out exactly where our luggage was. I got a confirmation that it had been sitting in the AirTran Luggage office since 9:50 am. OK. good. Lets see 1:05 + 110 minutes = 2:55 + 15 minutes(to get luggage) = 3:05 + 40 minute cab ride to Port of MIA = 3:45. We will just make it if there are no more problems. I am sweating bullets. I have never been so stressed in all my life. This is where the crew of that plane went over and above. First, free drinks, and I needed one. Second, Erica and Nigel the flight attendants made announcements for everyone to stay seated when the plane taxis in to let some cruise passengers off first. Third, the captain flew the wings off of that plane. I don't know how he did it (unless there is some fluff in flight times) but what was supposed to be a 1hr and 50 minute flight turned into a flight of 1 hr and 31 minutes. We pulled up to the jetway at FLL at 2:36 pm. Before the plane stopped the flight attendants had us at the door. After a quick sincere thank you (I already had their names written down.) We bolted up the jetway and into the terminal full speed. Without breaking stride, I asked the gate attendant directions to AirTran luggage claim. Turn left, down the escalator. The clock in the terminal said 2:38 GOD BLESS THAT FLIGHT CREW. As we went down the escalator I got to take my first stressless breath in 12 hours. We were met a the bottom of the escalator by the Carnival Rep that said the boat was being held till 5 due to all of the late planes. (This was 4th of July weekend with Weather problems).

We leisurely got our luggage got in a cab and rode to the Port of Miami arriving about 3:30. Hey look at it this way, NO LINES TO CHECK IN!!!! NO PICTURES!! After spending the night in an airport we were ripe and not exactly in picture taking form. Went to our room, dropped the carryons and DW and I Immediately went to the nearest bar for 2 DOTD's. AAAAAAaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

What I learned from this ordeal.

1. NEVER go on a cruise during a holiday weekend.

2. ALWAYS Fly NON-STOP cost be damned.

Side Note: I called The Bahia Mar Hotel in Ft. Lauderdale after we missed the thurs flight. The operator said to see if you can get a refund when you check in the following day. I called again when we found better:rolleyes: accomodations at Hartsfield. I told them to let go of my reservation I would not make it and I completely understood the cancellation policy and would forfeit the cash:mad: . However, I was never charged one red cent. For that very reason, Even though I've heard some things on this site, I will be staying there this June on our Liberty Trip.

wow........

now that is a horror story..

at least you made it, but i would need a month vacation to cool off after that..

my hats off to you!

wow........

now that is a horror story..

at least you made it, but i would need a month vacation to cool off after that..

my hats off to you!

We were wound up the whole 1st evening. Since we didn't have our clothes for dinner (I am in a Steelers T-Shirt and a pair of cotton coaches shorts that I have been in for the past 32 hours.) I told the dining room photograher he was taking his life into his own hands if he didn't get his finger away from the that shutter.

The point is that we made it and had a blast.

I was told by our cruise director on the Spirit, that if you miss the ship, they will not leave you alone. A Carnival rep. will be waiting for you to fly you to the next port or to the point of origin, of course at your cost.

So what I can gather from reading these stories is that most of the time that people were left behind was possibly due to alcohol consumption. Has anyone heard of someone missing the ship because of an excursion, not booked through the cruiseline? This is a realy concern of ours for our Legend cruise. After looking over the ship's excursions there is nothing that really appeals to us but plenty of independent tour guides that offer what we are looking for. I want to go ahead and book independently buy am kind of afraid that we might just miss the ship. Has anyone had this experience?

Archived