The most least expensive way to call home from ship

mdnikki

I know you are on vacation and this is a crazy idea..but ???

What is the most least expensive way to call home from the ship. I hear all kinds of things about varying cell phone rates. Just wanted some opinions.

It is not a crazy idea. I had a family sickness and called daily.

Your own cell phone.

Call your service and see if they have a tower on the RCCL ships. I have Verizon and it cost me $2.49 per minute outside of the US/San Juan. Free until I left there on my minutes. If not, I could still have used it in ports for the same price, and I did often. ;)

The ship was $7.95 per minute to use their phones.

They put me on International and it would roam and pick up anywhere we went except Margarita Island, Venezuela. No phone or computer service there for the whole day.

It is definitely worth it to use your own by first checking with your own company.

Actually, it'll be cheaper to get to an island, buy an international calling card and use one of the many payphones located by almost every dock! (Don't buy a card here in the states--those are for calling out of the U.S.!)

Many islands have their own phone system and you need to get a card from that island. For example, in Aruba, you can't use any card other than one provided by the phone company there. We also ran into the same kind of problem in Cozumel. We had to use a card purchased in Mexico.

It's more trouble most times to look for a place to get a card and then the phone.

To me, I would check with my cell phone company and ask them the prices for calling from the ports. I have Sprint and I can call from San Juan and St Thomas as a free call just using my regular minutes. Other places would incur charges.

I'm sure your cell phone company can give you info as to the cheapest way to call. Good luck.

I'm not sure if this still works. Last year when sailing on Norwiegen, we used a Trac Phone. You could buy it at Target for about $25.00. It comes with minutes. The only catch was you could only use it when the ship was at sea, and was using it's own cell service. You could not use it when the ship was in port or close to port or your sim card would get zapped. Not sure I understood the whole thing, but it worked.

I use my cell all the time. Free from many places. This past year, from Hawaii and in the mid of the pacific, the cost was a little more but for all the calls we had to make (sick relative an a friend pass away), the cost was very minimal. I have AT&T and I had service quite a bit. My friends even used my phone as they did not have service.

Two tin cans and a VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY long string.:p

We have Verizon and I've been able to call home from Bermuda and the Western Caribbean where reception was intermittent. Didn't check rates because I only used it for minimal communication. LIke everyone says, check with your carrier.:)

I used verizon in march 2007. Puerto Rico was free, St. Thomas was free, and St. Martan was cheap( like 69 cents a minute).

When I used it on ship, it was 2.49 a minute, I believe.

We are taking the kids in 6 weeks, I am taking all cell phones upon getting on the ship, and will hand them out when we are in a "free" zone!

We have Verizon as well, how was the reception. I ask because we were looking into getting the DECT phones to keep in contact with the teens in our group...they suggested those because cell phone reception wasn't good.

I just did the Southern Caribbean on the Empress to:

San Juan, Puerto Rico,

Philipsburg, St Maarten,

Basseterre, St. Kitts,

St. Johns, Antiqua,

Castries, St. Lucia,

Bridgetown, Barbados,

Sea Day,

Margarita Island, Venezuela, No service for computers or cell phones until we were far enough away to establish service.

Willemstad, Curacao,

Oranjestad, Aruba,

Sea Day,

San Juan, Puerto Rico

I called home every single day and some days twice.

My phones are far from the expensive type and I had no problem at all. It was as if my son was in the next room from me each time. I was very pleased. Fast connections, anywhere on the ship I also had strong signals, I was never cut off. Excellent service.

I don't know why they would tell you that. I was told all RCCL ships have the tower for their service and I would not have a problem. And I didn't. And in ports they said I would be fine too. And I was. Are they going to charge you more money for those phones?

My store told me that and when I called them on the phone so they could change me to International roaming I was told my service would be fine. It was perfect. No charges for any of that either.

I did not pay extra to take my own except for the $2.45 per minute outside the US.

We have Verizon as well, how was the reception. I ask because we were looking into getting the DECT phones to keep in contact with the teens in our group...they suggested those because cell phone reception wasn't good.

At $2.49 a minute, I don't think you want to use your cell phones as onboard communication! :eek:

I'm not sure if this still works. Last year when sailing on Norwiegen, we used a Trac Phone. You could buy it at Target for about $25.00. It comes with minutes. The only catch was you could only use it when the ship was at sea, and was using it's own cell service. You could not use it when the ship was in port or close to port or your sim card would get zapped. Not sure I understood the whole thing, but it worked.

I always use my Tracfone and it works pretty well, though not completely reliable. The last time I used it on AOS was September. Tracfone worked fine in San Juan and in several ports for me. For some reason, it worked best in my promenade stateroom near the window. It must have picked up a good signal there somewhere. The good thing about tracfone is that the minutes are prepaid so I know exactly what I'm spending...no surprises when I get home.

Is a call from a verizon cell considered "free" in either port? verizon in Jamaica and Cayman Islands?

Only in US territories/states. San Juan, Hawaii, Alaska, US Virgin Islands, St. Thomas, St. Croix, and St. John.

I would never let them use the cell phones on the ship. Mine was for a family emergency to call home in the states. I expected a large bill just for me. And I got it. But it was still the cheapest way to do it and I did not care how long I talked as it was worth it to us to be in close contact.

$2.49 a minute adds up fast for a 15 day vacation. :eek:

Would I turn teens loose with them on the ship? NEVER. :D

Anyone have any thoughts or advice about calling from Europe? Particular phone cards for Bermuda, Ireland, England or France? What about cell service? They work on a different encoding system in Europe don't they? Also...is shipboard internet speed even up to the task for VoIP?

We pretty much resigned outselves to stayinn in-touch with our daughter via email except in emergency.

its been a couple years so i dont remember if there was an extra charge or not but we did text messages. we have cingular/at&t and even if it was a little extra it wasnt as expensive as a phone call. we texted our family every day (quite a bit) and i dont remember getting an outrageous bill. (with our regular plan we got 500 texts for free but like i said there may have been an additional charge outside of the usa but i dont think it was much).

I think I'm missing something. The OPs first post was about calling home but her second post sounds like its for contact with teens who are traveling with her.

Which is it? If its for on-board communication, a cell phone is definitely not the cheapest way! Eek!

When using your TRACFONE were there any additional charges from the ship? Or was it just your minutes you used and no other hidden costs? :confused:

THere are no hidden charges or charges from the ship. You buy prepaid minutes and use them...that's it. It works about half the time in ports and on the ship.

Archived