tips for Lahaina cruisers

39august

If you are going to dock in Lahaina, here is some info about how to get around without renting a car. I'm just back from a week at Royal Lahaina Resort on Kaanapali Beach. We did have a car and drove to some other beaches. Didn't see any that could compare to Kaanapali!(and that includes the "3 Kamoales" or Kam I,II and III in Kehei) To get to Kaanapali beach, catch the white bus marked route 2 Kaanapali-Lahaina at the flag pole in the harbor in front of Old Lahaina Courthouse, $1 pp each way. I believe the first pick up is at 9:30 AM. Be just a bit early to be sure, as this is an hourly route. It goes directly from that stop to Royal Lahiana Resort which has a public beach, about a 20 minute ride. Driver will announce when the return pick up will be. I think it is 45 past the hour, hourly. Just walk thru the hotel lobby and to your right is the lounge thru' which you can access their pool and on to the beach. There is good snorkeling about an 8 minute walk north of this beach. You'll see the rocks in the water. There's a bit of a current until you get out about 25 yards. Fins are a must. However, if you want a good beach with shopping and reasonably priced food and drinks, stay on the bus as it goes on to the Sheraton and then get off at Whaler's Village. Your driver will announce what time the bus picks up at Whaler's Village. If he doesn't, ask. Again, this is an hourly route. Walk thru' the shopping mall to the lower part of Kaanapoli Beach. You can get lunch for reasonable prices at the food court. Or you can eat and drink at the Hula Grill or Leilani's, both right on the beach. When you leave, be sure you take the same white #2 bus back to the flag pole stop. It makes a few stops in between. Do NOT take the green trolley as it circles Kaanapoli and does NOT go into Lahaina. We used the bus and the trolley instead of fighting traffic and trying to find a place to park. For closest and cheapest shopping for souvenirs, wine, t-shirts, Maui Wowee candy, and other Hawaiian specialties, after getting off the bus(or if you don't even take the bus) at the flag pole, cross the street to Banyan Tree park and walk across the park to the Wharf Cinema Complex. Walk across the complex to the left and you will see an ABC store. There are others further along Front street, but this is closest to the ship. Also, they sell beach mats for under $2. These are much nicer than beach towels alone. Perhaps you should purchase one before your trip to the beach. I loved walking around in Lahaina! If you are in Lahaina for 2 days, I suggest you sign up with Tombarefootcashbacktours.com for the Hapa Papa road to Hana picnic tour for your first day. They pick up cruise pax at the harbor around 7 AM. The tour is less stressful than if you are driving. Believe me, we were glad we didn't drive. Sure, you can, but why not leave the driving to an expert native who knows what comes up around the next turn and can give interesting commentary all along the route? Plenty of stops for photos. Contenintal breakfast and picnic is included.This is a long day, getting back around 5 PM. This tour goes all the way around the island on the road past Hana as well as to Hana. Hope this information is helpful to future cruisers. I'd be happy to answer any questions that I can.

Thanks for the info - It's good to know a way to get around without renting a car and where good places are to get special things to remember Hawaii. icon_smile.gif

Take care,

Debi

Aloha to Infinity with only countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=2325FF&cdt=2004;12;5;21;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800 to go icon_wink.gif

<marquee direction=down><marquee>6/88*Ocean Princess,Ocean Cruise Lines/Scandanavia ~ 4/00*Elation,CCL/Mexican Rev ~ 7/02*Sensation,CCL/West Caribbean ~ 12/02*Veendam,HAL/Caribbean ~ 2/03*BrillianceOfTheSeas,RCCL/South Caribbean ~ 12/04*Infinity,Celebrity/RT Hawaiiicon_smile.gif</marquee></marquee>

• 6 years later...

Your Hana tour - you said: This tour goes all the way around the island on the road past Hana as well as to Hana.

Does this mean you don't retrace the road you drove into Hana on but instead continue on the gravel portion? It goes to Kipahulu & Kaupa (I think called Pi'ilani Hwy It's the portion that supposedly rental car companies tell you not to drive on and won't cover you if you drive their). If so, how long did that portion of the drive take? Was there much traffic on that part?

Thanks for any help with this.

Archived