Arriving in Miami @ 10:20am & cruise @ 4:00

Wags67

Hello everyone! I'll be arriving in Miami @ 10:20am on American Airlines to board the Victory on October 26, 2008. The ship sails at 4:00pm. I was okay about the timing and everything until I started reading some of the threads on CC. Has anyone experienced this arrival and sailing times before a cruise in Miami? (I've already booked the airfare but haven't checked to see if I can even switch days to come a day earlier yet.) I hope I'm just nervous and won't incur any issues but I thought I'd give a shout out for advise.....(My last cruise I arrived at 1:00pm in San Juan and the ship sailed @ 10:00pm~no worries there.) I guess I didn't think this through when I booked, I was just so excited to close my cruisin' deal..Thanks for any advise or comforting words.

Sounds like most people try to arrive a day before. For my Aug. cruise (199 days and counting) I booked four days ahead and the family and I will spend it at Disenyworld. I reilize most people can't take the time off to arrive 4 days before, but I would give myself a day or two cushion. When I was booked through Carnival, they had us arrive a day before. You could also look into some travel insureance. Reading some of the posts here, it is something that I am starting to think about. Let us know what your doing, I would like to know. Thanks:)

my wife and I missed the first day of our 4 day cruise because we tired to fly in the same day. rain & fog got us delayed. We had to shell out almost $500 for a hotel room and flights & taxi to catch the Fantasy in the Bahamas.

I would fly in the day before......

You should look into switching to the day before. American Airlines is known for not getting you there on time. If they do they have issues with your luggage. If you continue to read these CC reports you will see American into Miami is not known to be very good. Best of luck...

countdown.pl?name=Cudster&date=3-2-2008&image=Beach-8&text=Right Around The Corner!!!!!&ship=Carnival Victory

We always fly in a day early, just in case. One cruise DW forgot all her make-up but we were able to buy everything she needed/wanted in the mall in Miami. Had we flown in the same day she would have had to settle for whatever was on the cruise ship which was very limited and kind of pricey.

Having that extra day/night's cushion is very comforting.

Your current times are fine for making it to the ship and onboard well before sailing time PROVIDED your plane lands on time or at least no later than 2PM but you never know.

I appreciate the comments. CC people are great!! Thanks. The only reason we booked same day as cruise was so we could spend Saturday with the children before we "abandon them with their Uncle" for a fun filled week alone:D Otherwise, we definately would have arrived Saturday.

You should have enough time, but.... we have used American on our last 4 cruises. Not once have we landed on time. Now, it could be JFK or LGA in NY, (where, if someone spits on a runway, it causes at least a 1 hour delay!!) but many times AA is delayed because they arrived late coming into our airport, which causes them to be late going out! We always try to get in a day or 2 early "just in case". For 2 of our past cruises, it we had flown in the day of, we would have missed the ship due to flight delays.

I appreciate the comments. CC people are great!! Thanks. The only reason we booked same day as cruise was so we could spend Saturday with the children before we "abandon them with their Uncle" for a fun filled week alone:D Otherwise, we definately would have arrived Saturday.

Chances are that you will be OK, but if flying in on the day of departure keeps bugging you, get travel insurance. You will enjoy your cruise more having the peace of mind that you will be taken care of not only if your flights are cancelled or delayed, but also if something happened to you or your kids while you're away (you get sick or have an accident and need to go to the hospital, or if (God forbid) something bad happens to your kids halfway through the cruise and you need to cut your cruise short. Most insurance companies will refund the unused portion of your cruise as well as cover your travel expenses to get back home).

We also did a same day flight and will never do it again!;) Short story, Baltimore's weather was great, but Fort Lauderdale's wasn't. Some airlines will not depart unless the weather is good at the destination. They won't fly around wasting fuel anymore. We barely made the ship:(. From now on, having cruise insurance, and arriving a day earlier will be less stressful.:D

You should be fine but I would definitely pack a carry-on with a bathing suit & coverup, extra underwear, one extra pair of shoes and all medications. Airlines are known for misplacing your luggage. I'd hate to see you have to board the ship with no clothes to start your trip. Just my humble opinion.

You should be okay - I normally fly out day before but this time we couldn't - was able to get a non-stop flight on day of cruise from Ottawa Canada - turns out it was the day after a MAJOR snowstorm here (and I would not have been able to fly out day before anyways as airport was shut down!).

Flight scheduled to leave at 8 am - and land at 11:20 - we left late (8:30) and landed around 11:45 - and were in line at dock around 12:30 pm and on the ship by 1:15 pm - no problems! It can be done - but I did also take out travel insurance so my stress level was very low as I knew we would eventually make it!

Good luck!

You should be fine with that arrival time barring any weather problems . Just remember, if your flight is delayed you can still fly into Fort Lauderdale or West Palm , they are all in pretty close proximity to Miiami and the port. If you call the airline and tell them that you want to change the date to the day before, (at this early date) you can probably do it with a 100.00 change fee per person. If you can really give them a sob story you may find an agent or supervisor who will do it without the charge.It has happened.:)

Be aware, that you need to be on board no less than 30 minutes before the departure time, usually an hour is better.

I have driven to my cruise port, on the day of departure, and just barely made it both times! Not a good way to start the first day of a cruise. Hope you have the insurance.

Hope it all turns out great for you, which ever way you go.

Diane

Be aware, that you need to be on board no less than 30 minutes before the departure time, usually an hour is better.

I have driven to my cruise port, on the day of departure, and just barely made it both times! Not a good way to start the first day of a cruise. Hope you have the insurance.

Hope it all turns out great for you, which ever way you go.

Diane

Doesn't the new 90 minute rule go into effect Monday? Everybody has to be onboard at least 90 minutes ahead of time so they can submit the ships maifest.

I thought it was Monday anyway???

Bill

When we go on the same day as the cruise, I always get an early morning flight out. This coming April, we are flying to Miami from RDU. Flight leaves at 6:30 in the morning. There are still chances of delays, but the chances of a late arrival time is near none, because the plane has been there all night and not coming in. We are scheduled to leave at 6:30 and arrive in Miami at 8:30. Hopefully even if delayed we have some time to spare

Less stress and more wiggle room. On our Valor cruise in september we should have been in Miami by 3 pm. Engine problems put is in at 8 pm. As usual, Delta lost the luggage so we didn't get that until the last flight from Atlanta at midnight. In January for the Fantasy cruise we had a same-day early non-stop on Southwest. We were at the ship just as they were letting people into the terminal area. It looks like you have a good buffer for 'just in case' wags. See you onboard.:D

this will be only my 3rd cruise this May, however, on my other 2 we had no problems at all arriving on same day. Even had really lousy weather last Feb. when we flew out of Detroit and had to change planes in DC, but no problems. This year we fly out at 9 and arrive at 12:04 on Northwest into Miami. I don't anticipate any problems at all. I know I won't fly during winter months due to too many variables!

Archived