Eastern Med. Weather

goalposts

I am embarking on my first cruise from Southampton on November 30 taking in Egypt, Athens, Cyprus, Malaga and other ports. Just wondering if anybody has sailed about the same time and could advise me on what the weather may be like. Returning to Southampton on Dec 18. Thanks for any help.

I am embarking on my first cruise from Southampton on November 30 taking in Egypt, Athens, Cyprus, Malaga and other ports. Just wondering if anybody has sailed about the same time and could advise me on what the weather may be like. Returning to Southampton on Dec 18. Thanks for any help.

We did exactly the same cruise in 2006 on Aurora leaving 28 Nov and had superb weather once in the med. Clear blue skies every day and temperatures around 22C although a little cooler in Athens and cools down in the evening. We enjoyed it so much that we did the same again last Nov on Oriana and although we left a couple of weeks earlier on 15 Nov the weather was 2 or 3 degs cooler than the previous year but still quite pleasant. We had one day of rain on a sea day in the med and then had a hurricane in the Bay of Biscay on the way back. So really weather wise it is a bit pot luck but generally you should be OK.

Brian

Hi Goalposts,

I am also on this cruise and hoping for enough good weather to be able to wear short sleeves and get myself a little suntan.

Perhaps we should start a roll call for this cruise?

Feebee_71 :)

Thanks for the tips. Just one point of note, the hurricane in the Bay of Biscay that BrianI mentioned. Not having been on a liner before, is a huricane particularly noticeable, especially in the area around Biscay.

Yes it is. The wind was force 12 and waves were coming up to the windows in the restaurant on deck 6. The ship moves around quite a bit and can make walking around difficult. We had a couple of glasses slide off the shelf in the cabin although we were midships and low down. We have never experienced anything as bad as that and we have crossed the Bay many times on cruiseships and ferries. In normal times you do get some ship movement but it is usually slow and gentle. We have been across the Bay when it has been flat calm. You sometimes get a large swell down the coast of Portugal even if there is no local wind as the waves travel across the Atlantic from a storm the otherside. Once you get into the Med it is normally calm and you don't get any movement.

Brian

BrianI once again thanks very much for the quick response and sharing your experiences. We are new to this type of holiday and what i have picked up in a couple of days on these forums is extremely valuable. Going out now to buy a Sou' Wester.

Depending on the time of year, like say, May, you get North Easterly winds pushing you down across the Bay. In which case, it will be reasonably calm. I have crossed it three times in a small yacht. However, if you are coming the other way, then it will be lumpy. If it's a hurricane, you don't want to be anywhere near the Bay.

Hi

I've crossed the bay in May 06 to the Canary islands, and in June 07 down to the Med. Both times no problem atall. Coming back from Canaries was a bit bumpy force 7/8 but not uncomfortable or caused any sea sickness.

Can I expect 75 degrees or so in Venice/Corfu in Mid May??

Sue

I did this cruise on Oriana in 2005 and it was t-shirt weather nearly all the time. One slight shower in Kusadasi, but otherwise clear blue skies and sun. It's a lovely time of year to go as the sights aren't so crowded.

Archived