Royal Caribbean food quality terrible

hayward

We have sailed Celebrity, NCL, Orient and Princess as well as several RCCL ships. On our particular sailings NCL was the least memorable. Celebrity was the most consistently wonderful until Century which was good but not great.

We did notice the difference in quality on our last Brilliance sailing, but always found the waiter's suggestions trustworthy. On RCCL we found the steaks and lamb the best bet in the Dining Room. At the buffet they seemed to have many daily repeats [not necessarily a bad thing]. There was a different version of baked chicken legs every day. :eek: But, lol, I discovered that they were nearly always very tasty so each day I'd cut them up to add to a rice dish, or pasta, or couscous, or on top of greens.

The best part of the dining experience for us is interesting and gracious tablemates and efficient and personable waiters. If you don't enjoy your table, the quality of the food won't make up the difference.

We look forward to our upcoming transatlantic on the Navigator.

We have sailed Celebrity, NCL, Orient and Princess as well as several RCCL ships. On our particular sailings NCL was the least memorable. Celebrity was the most consistently wonderful until Century which was good but not great.

We did notice the difference in quality on our last Brilliance sailing, but always found the waiter's suggestions trustworthy. On RCCL we found the steaks and lamb the best bet in the Dining Room. At the buffet they seemed to have many daily repeats [not necessarily a bad thing]. There was a different version of baked chicken legs every day. :eek: But, lol, I discovered that they were nearly always very tasty so each day I'd cut them up to add to a rice dish, or pasta, or couscous, or on top of greens.

The best part of the dining experience for us is interesting and gracious tablemates and efficient and personable waiters. If you don't enjoy your table, the quality of the food won't make up the difference.

We have little expectation for food and we are pretty bland eaters. We only have one requirement...that it be served HOT. This is the major area I think needs improved! On our Mariner cruise we never had a hot meal in the dining room. Yes, we loved the cruise, but this area is lacking.

While I feel pretty comfortable in saying the overall main dining room food quality has gone down since my first cruise 8 years ago, I think I am partly to blame in that my tastes have changed.

I was blown away by the quality of food on the Voyager back during my first cruise in 2000. From what I remember they did have more top quality selection and more attention to service/presentation then they do now.

BUT I think it's partly my fault as well. In 2000 I was a college student who grew up in a small town. I hadn't really been to many "nice" places, mostly chain type restaurants. My wife and I now generally go out to fine dining restaurants about once a week (typical checks before wine of about $75-100, then wine adds on $35-60 from there) -- we both work hard and a nice meal out is like our quite time together. We also both enjoy food and cooking, so our meals at home are generally a little more upscale in choice of meat (we generally buy prime cuts from a butcher, not pick up meats from the grocery for example). It's not that we are rich snobs, we are just normal folks in our mid 20's, we just like good food and make that a priority.

My wife and I like to travel, and we like good food/wine. We find that RCCL does a good job of making us happy, there are always compromises, but that's a part of life. Honestly, I don't expect the cruise line to deliver this level of food to 2-4K people (guests only) every evening. What I have found on the ships recently is good food that I can enjoy. I pick my meals carefully. For example I know that I'm probably not going to get a really good steak Oscar style in the main dining room -- this is because there is a huge price jump from a good steak to a great one. Just like I wouldn't order that off the menu at an Applebee’s because I know I would be disappointed. However, I can generally find something that will make me happy.

NOW that said, I really enjoy the meals at Chops/Portafino's -- we eat there about every-other-night on a cruise. As soon as we get on board, we call up there and make reservations. I would encourage anyone who wants the fine dining experience to have their meals in these restaurants. If you are used to that level of meal, the nominal charge shouldn't phase you. If you are not used to that level of dining experience…. I suggest that you don’t go, it will spoil you for life!

Just off the Adventure today. The food was excellent - windjammer, portofino,johnny rockets, dining room and promenade. Lobsters were hot and succulent, Prime rib was great I had lamb chops one night and duck another menu was varied and food excellent i am a diamond C and A so i can compare this cruise to other ships and this was one of the best. Party of nine for seven days and only one person had a complaint of one entree one night and our head waiter quickly remedied the situation beyond satisfaction.

When are people going to understand that the Chef is responsible for the food served onboard? Different chefs, different results. It doesn't matter what ship or cruiseline. ;)

Same menu, same food from the same suppliers. Same cook book, bring 30 gallons of water to a boil, peel 100 lbs of potatoes.....So what does that executive chef really have to do with it? He doesn't pick the menu or use his own special recipes. Let's see, its day 2, pull out the menus for day 2.

Same menu, same food from the same suppliers. Same cook book, bring 30 gallons of water to a boil, peel 100 lbs of potatoes.....So what does that executive chef really have to do with it? He doesn't pick the menu or use his own special recipes. Let's see, its day 2, pull out the menus for day 2.

Cook too long, don't cook long enough. Don't season enough or too much.

Don't strain the lumps out of the gravy/sauce.

Lots of reasons for inconsistencies.

And I would think the suppliers for a Bayonne cruise would not be the same as a supplier for a Miami cruise or an Alaskan cruise.

Cook too long, don't cook long enough. Don't season enough or too much.

Don't strain the lumps out of the gravy/sauce.

Lots of reasons for inconsistencies.

And I would think the suppliers for a Bayonne cruise would not be the same as a supplier for a Miami cruise or an Alaskan cruise.

Yep, that is exactly what happens.

Who says you have to eat 12 lbs of bacon with breakfast?
If someone wants to eat 12 pounds of bacon for breakfast why in the hell does it make any difference to you, who made you the food police anyway

I watch what some people eat and it makes me lose my appetite.
This is a easy one try to mind your own buisness and stop being so dam nosy

Is it a competition to see who can eat the most amount of food?
If it was a competition to see how much food they would give out awards for it, they don't

Mass market cruising is what it is about today. Get as many people on the ship as possible and let them eat until they get themselves sick.
If some one wants to get sick by eating to much food, and tell me just how does have any effect on you?

I know i will get flamed for this, but look at the reality.
yes you will, and by the way do you know bakencakes or however she spells her name, I bet you two are twin sisters, you both like to stick your nose where it does not belong.

Oh, my gosh.............if there is nothing dearer to the heart........it's the stomach.......and what lands in the stomach.........must first be met at the mouth..........with all of the taste buds running in full swing.

Even before that............the nostrils must be able to inhale the wonderful flavors of a well prepared dinner.

What we have experienced on RCCL............is everything from excellent.......to almost unacceptable.

The wonderful part is..........that RCCL will exchange your dinner.....that is not acceptable.........for one that is!!

This shows how little you know about how a restaurant kitchen (galley) works. :rolleyes:

Oh, I guess I didn't realize that each of those 2,000 meals is personally prepared to order from his recipe book and sampled by the executive chef before being delivered piping hot to your table.

I think he is more there to be a rah-rah team leader and keep the line cooks jumping and make sure Tuesday's meal looks and tastes like last Tuesday's meal.

If someone wants to eat 12 pounds of bacon for breakfast why in the hell does it make any difference to you, who made you the food police anyway

If it was a competition to see how much food they would give out awards for it, they don't

If some one wants to get sick by eating to much food, and tell me just how does have any effect on you?

yes you will, and by the way do you know bakencakes or however she spells her name, I bet you two are twin sisters, you both like to stick your nose where it does not belong.

Why are u so upset at 'shamda'?

I wld like to remind u this is an 'open' forum - folks shld not be told to mind their own business or to be so 'nosy' by anyone else or did I miss the ceremony when u were appointed 'guardian of the 'posts'??

You completely missed the point of my post. My point was that the cruise lines are just going to give what is wanted. MY OPINION is that quantity is more important to the mass market audience than quality is. Many complain here on the boards about the food quality, and it is true that it has decreased over the years, but to me the reason for the decrease in quality is becuase of the amount of food the mass market audience wants to eat. I am not going around watching people eat being nosey, but I do see things that just make me shake my head and say hmmmmm. You can eat as much as you want, I really do not care, you are right, it is none of my business if someone wants to eat 12 lbs of bacon with each meal, I am simply saying that the mass market cruisers today could care less about fine dining and the cruise lines are responding to it.

All I can is, if you don't like the food on cruises, you eat a lot better than I do at home. I have never had a single meal (2 cruises) that was bad. I am sure not used to fancy fixings and foods and I relish the idea of getting to sit down to a spread like we get on the ship.

we sailed on mariner 6/07, and have been on several cruises. the food is probably one of the few minus points i'd give rccl. the dining room food was good, but we're not overly interested in dressing and going to the dining room every night. we're on vaca-want to kick back & relax. it's actually nice to get food at the buffet in the evening while so many people are at dinner or show, and take out plates up to the deck overlooking the pool and ocean. it's quiet and the view is awesome. i didn't think the buffet/windjammer food was bad, just boring. it was exactly the same food every day for each meal. i've been on other carriers where the buffet was looked forward to at lunch because of the variety. i know there is a limit to the amount of galley storate space, but a rotation of menu would be nice. also, i wish the windjammer was opened 24 hours. we don't like to use up too much time on vacation sleeping (we can do that at home), and spend a lot of time in the evening and very early morning enjoying the ship. i noticed on another line with a 24 hour buffet that the lines were never very long. i also wish that all the cruise lines would charge each passenger another $25.00 or so per cruise ticket and have all the non-alcoholic drinks "free". i felt i was being nickle & dimed for a lousy soft drink or bottle of water. the soda cards cost way more than the cost of soda or water - ncl charged my sister $58.00 for a 7 day cruise soda card! that's about 6 cases of soda at retail prices. my husbands argument is that if the soda wasn't an additional charge, all the kids on board would be o.d.'ing on soda - the kid in the candy shop theory. any opinions out there?

i also wish that all the cruise lines would charge each passenger another $25.00 or so per cruise ticket and have all the non-alcoholic drinks "free". i felt i was being nickle & dimed for a lousy soft drink or bottle of water. the soda cards cost way more than the cost of soda or water - ncl charged my sister $58.00 for a 7 day cruise soda card! that's about 6 cases of soda at retail prices. my husbands argument is that if the soda wasn't an additional charge, all the kids on board would be o.d.'ing on soda - the kid in the candy shop theory. any opinions out there?

I don't drink soda so I don't want to be charged extra for something I won't partake in. Just make the crap free, already. It's not expensive, just sticky.

Kids drinking themselves silly on soda is a parental issue. I like the soda card idea, but it is definitely way too expensive.

my husbands argument is that if the soda wasn't an additional charge, all the kids on board would be o.d.'ing on soda - the kid in the candy shop theory. any opinions out there?

Its up to the parents to regulate the soda intake - easier said than done I know when your kids are all over the ship on their way to clubs etc! I think Disney has the right idea, the soda station is free, there was iced water and fruit juice available too, so it wasnt all sugary fizz. I have to say I was very suprised to learn that other cruise ships dont have the free soda station, I thought it was brilliant :)

Archived