New Passport Thread

Merion_Mom

Aw, c'mon, Tova. That's just 16 calendar days ago! Sort of silly to be worried or annoyed that you haven't gotten a passport in that amount of time. :rolleyes: :eek: :)

I am not worried or annoyed... I figure it will be here any day... the website still says it is being processed, but according to others, their's arrived and the website STILL said it was being processed.

I live in a VERY small hodunk town, and the mail is very slow here. I am pretty much used to it taking longer to get stuff.

What I was referring to in my post, however, was the people who said it had taken MONTHS... that could create a problem for some people.

Personally, I am not leaving until August, so I am sure I will get mine in time... unless the person who is processing it gets weirded out by my daughter's purple hair and decides to deny it...

I did call them ahead of time to check on the hair issue... I asked if she should dye it back to her normal color, but the lady I spoke to said the purple hair was okay. (keeping fingers crossed)

Unfortunately, not everyone is so open minded... when I went to the local post office to submit the applications, this old country hick gave us such a hard time... one about my daughter's hair... and then about her "father" not being present... this old turd was just griping about everything. I finally just left, and went home and called the passport office... who very nicely gave me the address of another location nearby.

What is with the postal service offices giving everyone a hard time getting passports, they just don't want to work or do anything beyond the norm. No wonder the rates keep going up and it take just as long as the pony express to get mail from one town to another. Just my pet peeve. Thanks for letting me vent.

What is with the postal service offices giving everyone a hard time getting passports, they just don't want to work or do anything beyond the norm. No wonder the rates keep going up and it take just as long as the pony express to get mail from one town to another. Just my pet peeve. Thanks for letting me vent.

Nope, they didn't give me a hard time. I recently renewed my dd's passport, and they couldn't have been nicer when we showed up to turn everything in. Got it back in 2 weeks.

I had a great experience with my post office (PO). Unfortunately, we hit a snag with our PP photos. We had them done at AAA and the clerk at the PO said that if he put the application through with the photos, he felt they would be rejected at the pp agency due to the fact that the photos were too dark. As much of a pain that it was getting new photos taken, the clerk was the best!!! (I complained to the manager at AAA and I was reimbursed for the retakes that were done at the PO.)

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to get our passports Monday but I am stuck, book/card/both. From what I read on http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html the only difference is a book is for traveling by land/sea/air (we are driving to Port Canaveral) and the card is good for land/sea in Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, & the Caribbean only. (price is also $100 each vs $45 each, rsp) Does anyone know if just a card is ok? :confused:

I am going to get our passports Monday but I am stuck, book/card/both. From what I read on http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html the only difference is a book is for traveling by land/sea/air (we are driving to Port Canaveral) and the card is good for land/sea in Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, & the Caribbean only. (price is also $100 each vs $45 each, rsp) Does anyone know if just a card is ok? :confused:

What would you do if something happened, and you had to get home quickly- would it have been worth the money then?

Hindsight is 20/20...

The title is a deliberate double entendre.

This is going to be a new thread about passports, and it's going to be a thread about new passports. :)

I invite everyone to post RECENT experiences in getting a brand new passport, or a renewed passport.

On Thursday, January 31, I placed my renewal application in the mail.

On Saturday, February 16, I received my new passport.

Including transit time in both directions, that is just SIXTEEN DAYS.

That's great !! But for me I am still singing the "passport blues". I placed my order & paid for expedition on the 3rd week of Feb. 08, still no passport.

I recieved a letter from the agency requesting a new birth cirtificate (NJ) the week of 03/10. I ordered a new cirtificate & spoke with the vital statistic office 3/17, the rep stated I would not recieve by BC by cruise time, so she request I fax her my travel docs so she could expedite the BC. I recieved my BC on 3/21 & sent it to the passport agency. I called passport agency 03/28, they request marriage license (i use my married name), so I send of marriage license !!

As of today no passport.... :mad: :mad:

Question I have is... if they require the requested info, WHY NOT GET IT IN THE BEGINNING OF THE PROCESS !!! before they take your $$$$$....... :mad:

My boyfriend and I applied for first-time passports on Friday, March 7th of this year. We both received our passports in the mail on Saturday, March 19th.

We don't live together and had our passports shipped to our own mailing addresses (different from one another's). We each forgot to check mail on the Friday before. We then each checked our mail relatively early on Saturday, so really, we think they were delivered Friday, not Saturday.

Either way, 14-15 calendar days for first-time passports is pretty quick!

My DH and I applied for our passports late on Friday, March 28. I just got email confirmation that they have been shipped back and should arrive by Tuesday, April 15. So that's approximately 12 business days.

Not too bad, considering we thought it would take until at least June to get them. :)

My daughter just got her passport this month and it took a week and 3 days. Went the traditonal route down to the Post Office. Definitely a LOT quicker than last year! It took me over 2+ months then! A friend of ours who lives in Maryland got his in a week and one day recently.

I applied on the 3rd of this month, passport arrived in the mail today!

My birth certificate was not included? I know that it can arrive under separate cover but I thought I'd receive the bc first then the passport. Anyone else have them arrive this way? :confused:

Hi! I applied for my sons passport about 2 weeks ago, first time not a renewal and I got it in the mail already! The very next day I got his birth certificate and my divorce decree in the mail. They mail them separately Because if someone stole your mail they would have a passport AND that persons birth certificate and they could steal your identity. I couldn't believe how fast his passport got here considering they tell you it can take up to 60 business days.:)

We applied for our children (ages 4 and 7) on Thursday, March 27th at 3:55 p.m. (5 minutes before closing) at our local post office. The passports were in my mailbox on Saturday, April 5th. This was just 9 days later. The birth certificates came separately. We received DS's on April 9th and DD's came sometime between April 11th and 14th. We were on a cruise so I'm not sure of the exact date.

We applied for our children (ages 4 and 7) on Thursday, March 27th at 3:55 p.m. (5 minutes before closing) at our local post office. The passports were in my mailbox on Saturday, April 5th. This was just 9 days later. The birth certificates came separately. We received DS's on April 9th and DD's came sometime between April 11th and 14th. We were on a cruise so I'm not sure of the exact date.

We ordered our passports on March 29th and we received them on April 9th. I was very impressed with the quick delivery -- especially because I had friends tell me it took them 2 months to receive theirs (but that was last year).

DS17 sent off his Passport renewal on Thurs. 3/27.

We were out of town last weekend, but he received his passport "Book" either Friday or Saturday 4/11 or 4/12. We did not use expedited service.

We're still waiting on the passport "Card" though. (and the birth certificate.)

We applied for our passports (family of 6) on April 17th at our local post office. I hope that there is still a quick turn around time. We leave on the FOS May 25th. A co-worker of mine received hers in 2 weeks and she applied in late March. I am going to go ahead and get certified copies of our birth certificates just in case they dont make it here in time. I don't want to be scrambling at the last minute :o .

Archived