AB Penthouse on Pearl

tiggerfan616

The second (smaller) bedroom holds three people. It has a lower double bed and a bunk that holds one.

The two bedrooms (and bathrooms) are drastically unequal in terms of luxury and comfort.

Whether it works or not is up to you - either you or your parents would have to share the bedroom with your son.

We loved the cabin - I made my two college aged sons and their friend share the small bedroom & bath. It was a tight fit but they lived through it since I was paying. My husband and I, on the other hand, cruised in absolute luxury with our huge bedroom & bath. :D

If you can afford it, and if the deal is still offered, look into the adjoining AB - AF combination. We booked that on the Pearl for August, and the AF was 50% off.

If you all cram in together, just let everyone know ahead of time what they are getting into. If you are not ones to spend a lot of time in the cabin maybe it won't matter if it is crowded.

We just returned from an AB on the GEM. The second bedroom was not used except for sleeping. Living area and balcony are quite adequate for just 'hanging out' in the suite. Plus the dining area makes a nice place to play cards or surf the Net.

However, if you do wish to use the second bedroom as a day room, the double bed turn up into a couch and the upper bunk can be folded away.

Unless you and parents are real cozy with each other, you might want to think about 2 cabins. I think the pricing for two balcony comes out in the same range. You do not get all the luxury, but, it is an option.

That extra bedroom is small. There have been some pictures posted here a few times. Jewel and Gem would be same layout.

If you can afford it, and if the deal is still offered, look into the adjoining AB - AF combination. We booked that on the Pearl for August, and the AF was 50% off.

If you all cram in together, just let everyone know ahead of time what they are getting into. If you are not ones to spend a lot of time in the cabin maybe it won't matter if it is crowded.

Did you book on the (no longer available) family plan or some other way to get this extra discount? Just wondering as we are looking at booking similar for something over the summer.

Robin

Did you book on the (no longer available) family plan or some other way to get this extra discount? Just wondering as we are looking at booking similar for something over the summer.

Robin

I don't know what it was called, but the deal was book an AB and get the connecting AF for 50% off. I had heard that it was no longer offered but who knows, it may come back.

Hey Dennise, how the heck are you? The layout of the AB is exactly the same as the villa I had on the Jewel. The little bedroom that Carol used actually sleeps 3. Two on the pullout couch (that was made into a bed when you saw it) and the 3rd on a bunk that pulls down from the ceiling I believe. It would definitely be tight, but I know how you love those Suite perks!

I am jealous that you are planning your next NCL cruise already!!

Well, by itself, the AF does not have many perks. But in combination with an AB, you would get the same suite concierge service, priority tendering, restaurant reservations, and could enjoy the better room service menu that the AB gets.

I am told the AB gets access to Cagney's for breakfast and lunch, while the AF does not. I really do think there should be an exception for the adjoining cabins.

Thanks, Salty Dingo. My husband was especially curious about spa services. On Celebrity and Holland America, our suites came with free use of different areas of the spa and he loved that. Not so with NCL?

We are treating some family members to a cruise and the AB-Af combo will work perfectly. Of course, WE get the nice bedroom and bath in the AB.

Are there bathrobes in the AB? Do they have the coffee/tea makers? Would we have the champagne in both AF & AB?

I do remember our AF on the Sun had a consierge and we had champagne in the room. Also a nice reception area at the pier with food and drink.

One other question that has come up is about fare reductions. If the price of the cruise goes down, NCL said they won't honor it if you are within 75 days of sailing. Is this true?

There are some perks, but I was dismayed to learn that breakfast and lunch at Cagney's is not extended to AB guests.

Since when? The ships that offer the Cagney's breakfast and lunch for suite pax have had the perk for all full suite pax AE and above. So it is now just for A3/A4, AA, A2, and GV pax? That makes no sense at all. I can see that it wouldn't be extended to AF pax, but no perk for AB? I'm definitely confused (not that it's a first for me).;)

beachchick

I'm a looking at booking an AB penthouse on the Pearl for Jan 09, it says it sleeps 5. It will be myself, my DH, DS(7), and my parents. Will this work? It says it has 2 bedrooms but where does the 5th person sleep? Any advice or help is welcome

We would not do the AB with this kind of family grouping unless our parents were paying (and thus would, of course, have the huge and gorgeous master bedroom and bathroom). If we were paying, we still wouldn't ask our parents to share a bedroom with our child. (Our DD is now an adult, so that's not an issue; I should say "we wouldn't have asked" them to do so.) And if we were paying, we would be selfish enough to want the master bedroom. (Yes, I'm a terrible daughter. We've done a lot to pay my parents back for their help in various ways over the years, but foregoing the AB master bedroom would not be one of them.)

OTOH, if the decision was for an A3, we'd do it and not whine about the small bedroom because the Courtyard, Courtyard Sundeck, and all the extras that go along with it would be worth the "sacrifice" to me.

What about two AEs? Sometimes there are deals to be had on the "lowest" level full suites. I believe that a couple of them even connect (don't quote me on that; I often misremember things). You might want to price it out and see what the real difference would be. You get the same perks in an AE that you'd get in the AB, so it could be a good alternative.

Hope that you have a blast no matter what you decide. It's great when the generations can travel together and enjoy it--That's not always the case; there's a reason my DH and I do travel with my sister and BIL, but don't travel with my brother and SIL.;) We don't dislike them; we simply don't travel well with them.

beachchick

Well, by itself, the AF does not have many perks. But in combination with an AB, you would get the same suite concierge service, priority tendering, restaurant reservations, and could enjoy the better room service menu that the AB gets.

I am told the AB gets access to Cagney's for breakfast and lunch, while the AF does not. I really do think there should be an exception for the adjoining cabins.

Sorry, I tried to edit my post above, but missed the window of opportunity.

I'm really confused now. I'm assuming that you got clarification that the AB does still have the Cagney's breakfast and lunch perk? That's good to hear.

You know, normally I'm a "follow the rules" chick who thinks that only those who've paid for or earned perks should have them. However, in this case, I've got to side with you. The small number of AFs connected to ABs should have the Cagney's perk (and an invite to the VIP cocktail party, but not an extra bottle of bubbly) along with the AB pax. BUT only when, as in your case, both the AB and AF are occupied by family traveling together (or even a combined traveling party) because this configuration is specifically designed for the purpose of accomodating families and small traveling groups into what amounts to one big suite. And it should only apply when they are booked together. If pax in a connecting AF are not traveling with the pax in the connected AB, then they should not have any of the full suite perks at all.

I'm rooting for you! You know that sometimes the concierges and butlers onboard can make exceptsions, so turn on the charm and honey 'em into saying "Why yes, we would be happy to help you with this and allow your family to dine together..." I've found that people love to be asked to "help" and usually enjoy the pleasure it gives them when they know they have helped in some way...An extra "thank you" in the form of $$ would probably not be amiss either.;) (I'm sure that someone will ask, "Well, what if I'm traveling with my sister and BIL and they're in an AF, but we're in an AE, shouldn't they get to share all our perks too? I would say no to that. They should book an AE also if they want to share the perks. I don't even care if you call me a hypocrite; we wouldn't expect to share perks in that situation, but would want to in the AB-AF connecting unit.)

Hope your cruise is wonderful no matter what.:D

beachchick

Wow thanks for all the help. Salty Dingo they no longer offer the 1/2 off the AF if you book the Ab. But like you stated it might happen. We've got plenty of time 11 months. I do agree putting us all in the penthouse would be a little to comfy. Was looking at the pictues of the suite with my son and he asked where he was going to sleep I told him the balcony, he wasn't happy. The price for me isn't really a factor but for my parents it is. I was even willing to pay some of their cabin if the rate was good, but it's not right now. Still like the idea though so going to follow the prices and see what happens.

Hey Chrissy, how are u gf. Miss you guys so hi to Carol for me.

Sorry, I tried to edit my post above, but missed the window of opportunity.

I'm really confused now. I'm assuming that you got clarification that the AB does still have the Cagney's breakfast and lunch perk? That's good to hear.

You know, normally I'm a "follow the rules" chick who thinks that only those who've paid for or earned perks should have them. However, in this case, I've got to side with you. The small number of AFs connected to ABs should have the Cagney's perk (and an invite to the VIP cocktail party, but not an extra bottle of bubbly) along with the AB pax. BUT only when, as in your case, both the AB and AF are occupied by family traveling together (or even a combined traveling party) because this configuration is specifically designed for the purpose of accomodating families and small traveling groups into what amounts to one big suite. And it should only apply when they are booked together. If pax in a connecting AF are not traveling with the pax in the connected AB, then they should not have any of the full suite perks at all.

I'm rooting for you! You know that sometimes the concierges and butlers onboard can make exceptsions, so turn on the charm and honey 'em into saying "Why yes, we would be happy to help you with this and allow your family to dine together..." I've found that people love to be asked to "help" and usually enjoy the pleasure it gives them when they know they have helped in some way...An extra "thank you" in the form of $$ would probably not be amiss either.;) (I'm sure that someone will ask, "Well, what if I'm traveling with my sister and BIL and they're in an AF, but we're in an AE, shouldn't they get to share all our perks too? I would say no to that. They should book an AE also if they want to share the perks. I don't even care if you call me a hypocrite; we wouldn't expect to share perks in that situation, but would want to in the AB-AF connecting unit.)

Hope your cruise is wonderful no matter what.:D

beachchick

I totally agree with you. We always book connecting cabins for our kids as its the only way to get them their own rooms. Over Christmas, we had the OS with the connecting mini, and they shared all the perks with us (the Sun's perks are limited). Since there was no special breakfast or lunch venue, Cagney's dining was not an issue. Next month on the Pearl, we have an OS with both the adjoining AC and BB. I think it's terrible that our daughters in the BB will be unable to join us (with my other daughter in the AC) at Cagney's, esp as this was the only way to book us all together (they are all under 21). I am hoping our butler might be able to help us out onboard! BTW, I would have gladly avoided all this and booked the GV to begin with, but it was not available.

Robin

Archived