6 hr flight with a 3 & 1 year old!

mgkdk

Would LOVE any ideas on how to keep these two grandbabies from driving other pax crazy. Belive me...I've been on flights with "precious" children and don't want to be on the receiving end of the "looks". There will be 5 adults (including the parents) to help, but would really like some great tips.

We've already asked for the rear end of the plane (hopefully the very last seats) close to the bathrooms, and with maybe a little more floor space, and no pax behind us. The 3yr old not such a worry, but this 1 yr old grandson is very active! No movie will keep this one quiet for very long. Any of you seasoned parent travelers have any ideas? Thanks!!!!

Would LOVE any ideas on how to keep these two grandbabies from driving other pax crazy. Belive me...I've been on flights with "precious" children and don't want to be on the receiving end of the "looks". There will be 5 adults (including the parents) to help, but would really like some great tips.

We've already asked for the rear end of the plane (hopefully the very last seats) close to the bathrooms, and with maybe a little more floor space, and no pax behind us. The 3yr old not such a worry, but this 1 yr old grandson is very active! No movie will keep this one quiet for very long. Any of you seasoned parent travelers have any ideas? Thanks!!!!

Books

99 cent magna doodle for "drawing"

crayons/paper (watch closely!)

go to the 99 cent store and buy small toys

crackers

juice

Benadryl :D

Yea...I thought about the Benedryl...also thought about buying a round for the pax...then I see headlines with my mug shot!

LOL, I feel your worry!

"WE" were THE couple with the screaming baby on the flight home from San Juan last month.....:o

He didn't have a nap all day and decided that he wanted to fuss for 2 hours before he actually went to sleep.....no amount of toys, juice, crackers or interaction would change that! Oh well! :rolleyes:

Good luck!

I have a very active 3 year old so I feel your pain. And she has been on nurmerous plane trips in her young life so I have been there, done that ;)

First question...can you bring a car seat that's FAA approved? It seem that since kids are kind of used to sitting DOWN in a car seat and not being allowed to get out of it during car rides, our best bet was always a car seat when she was younger. If she thought that she was locked in, then she wouldn't think she was allowed to run the aisles :)

The other really important thing is to MIX IT UP. Bring NEW things...even if they are just dollar store items. Pack backpacks for each child. They can each have their own. Each backpack should contain any special stuffed animals/blankets. SNACKS! LOADS OF SNACKS! Remember that you can't bring liquids through security so you have to buy drinks after you get through security. Put all kinds of mini toys in there. Magna Doodles - a DVD player (might buy you a few minutes), toy cars they haven't seen before. ANYTHING to keep their attention for a few minutes at a time.

The key is trying to keep them seating. Once my daughter realizes that she can cruise the plane, then she wants to bolt. I have to keep reinforcing that she needs to sit. And with family you can pass the children around to different people :)

Our son has traveled extensively within the US (east and west coast), the Caribbean and Europe. His last flight was on our Northern Cruise trip in September. On our way to London he was great, I made sure to book his own seat and the flight departed during the time he goes to bed for the evening. So no problems there. Now on our way back we left at 11am and he cried histerically (never once has he ever cried on a plane before) during the entire 10hr flight. He finally got tired and fell asleep once we got to customs at the airport. We had a DVD player, crayons, stickers, books, cars, etc.. and nothing worked, he did not want to sit on his seat, he wanted to walk up and down the plane. So be aware and good luck!

Alcohol- :)

If that doesn't work,

Drugs :D

Seriously, a Doctor told one of our friends to give their son Benadryl on their flight to China to help him "relax." Personally, I wouldn't do that but I don't think that you would be arrested.

Not sure this is the best seat to choose. Yes, you'll sort of be out of the way BUT everyone will be going past you, standing in the aisles, bumping you, talking, constant movement. The distraction that the bathrooms causes to the kids may be just the opposite effect you're going for. I"d try for the bulk heads myself. More room so they can sit on the floor and play etc.

Our son has traveled extensively within the US (east and west coast), the Caribbean and Europe. His last flight was on our Northern Cruise trip in September. On our way to London he was great, I made sure to book his own seat and the flight departed during the time he goes to bed for the evening. So no problems there. Now on our way back we left at 11am and he cried histerically (never once has he ever cried on a plane before) during the entire 10hr flight. He finally got tired and fell asleep once we got to customs at the airport. We had a DVD player, crayons, stickers, books, cars, etc.. and nothing worked, he did not want to sit on his seat, he wanted to walk up and down the plane. So be aware and good luck!

Agreed - if you can, it is always best to book the flight for nap time or bedtime....

Let your child run around ALOT prior to boarding. Change his/her diaper right before boarding- so you don't have to deal with this on route (hopefully no #2 during flight).

Don't know where you are flying to but if there is a stop over- try to entertain your child on the first flight so they don't fall asleep. Better they sleep on the second leg.

Take lots of interesting snacks for the ride and something different for every 20 minutes of flight- a new hand puppet, new soft toys that don't have many parts. Little parts- crayons, etc. always get dropped on the floor and will roll under seats.

When possible- walk the aisles. I don't think anyone is annoyed by a toddling baby as much as a whining, crying, screaming baby.

I do not recommend medicating your child- not all children react the same way. My older son was wired on Benedryl.

Good luck!

Let your child run around ALOT prior to boarding. Change his/her diaper right before boarding- so you don't have to deal with this on route (hopefully no #2 during flight).

Don't know where you are flying to but if there is a stop over- try to entertain your child on the first flight so they don't fall asleep. Better they sleep on the second leg.

Take lots of interesting snacks for the ride and something different for every 20 minutes of flight- a new hand puppet, new soft toys that don't have many parts. Little parts- crayons, etc. always get dropped on the floor and will roll under seats.

When possible- walk the aisles. I don't think anyone is annoyed by a toddling baby as much as a whining, crying, screaming baby.

I do not recommend medicating your child- not all children react the same way. My older son was wired on Benedryl.

Good luck!

Good luck!

I agree with the previous poster - allow the children lots of movement in the time before boarding. This is what we would do: when the plane was called for boarding, DH and our older child would board with the carry-ons (so there would still be room to stow them in the overhead compartments). I'd stay in the terminal with the little one, of course never straying far from the gate. Then, we'd be among the last passengers to board.

Also, I always put an overnight diaper on my kids - no worries if you're lucky enough to have them fall asleep. I even did this - just for long flights - in the early days of them being potty trained. I struggled with whether it would be confusing, but neither had a problem with it, and it meant an "accident" was a minor inconvenience rather than a significant pain (it's hard enough to change a diaper in those restrooms - I can't imagine an entire set of soiled clothes!)

Good luck, and happy cruising!

Seriously, a Doctor told one of our friends to give their son Benadryl on their flight to China to help him "relax." Personally, I wouldn't do that but I don't think that you would be arrested.

Before you medicate your child, please talk to your doctor about it AND test it out at home. You don't want to wait until you get on the plane to find out it makes your child hyper or other unhappy side effects.

I live in the U.K and my father lives in Fiji - which is the furthest flight you can do from England because it's exactly on the other side of the world.. - 28 hours! Well for some reason that I am still questioning five years later, I decided to go and visit my Dad - on my own - with my 3 and a half year old, my 16 month old, AND I was five months pregnant. I don't think I have ever come so close to having a nervous breakdown in my life! Needless to say, it put me off air travel with the kids for a v. long time. In fact, we're on the Caribbean Princess this April and the flight to Florida will be the longest one I've done since then. I tried sedation but it didn't work. They just WOULD not sleep! The worst age for air travel is between 10months and three I reckon, because they're mobile, but with no concentration span. So, short of sedation, I would go for bringing out a new treat every hour to amuse - avoid temptation to drink yourself to relieve stress because you will just end up feeling worse, sleepy, or both! And lock yourself in the loo for five minutes every so often to regain sanity. They're not going to go anywhere! Why don't more planes have a nanny service. That is SUCH a good idea..

The youngest one of our children has been for a transatlantic flight was just shy of 2 years. I agree with many previous suggestions by other posters. A car seat was very valuable for us when the children were very young. They just seemed to understand that it meant that they had to stay in their seat. We also schedule an outbound flight close to bedtime. The trick is in the return flight which is often mid-day in full daylight. We have often traveled

with my parents and sometimes other adults. It really helps to have different faces and people to chat with. We prefer the bulkhead seats as well. The seats in the back of the plane become busy with passengers using the restroom, and flight attendants preparing the food and beverage carts.

I did 10 hours alone with my 2 year old (at the time) twins from LA to London and back. The overnight flight was a breeze. The return was not so easy, but lots of walks, lots of different kinds of treats and the DVD player made it do-able. I bring my own sippy cups, food, etc., so we never have to rely on the flight attendant (you never know when turbulence will delay them) - plus there very often are long delays on the tarmac. Make sure you have a bunch of little NEW toys to play with.

Best,

Mia

I have been traveling coast to coast yearly with my 2DS since I moved to CA in 2000 and at that time they were 1 and 2 (at least once a year without the help of my husband). I never went the benadryl, etc, route unless one of them were really sick. When we traveled, since we were leaving the west coast, we usually had early flights, I would let the kids stay up a bit later so that they would be tired on the plane and sleep part of it. Also, I would pack toys that did not have lots of little pieces! (puzzles were a big no-no on the plane). We also had a few smallish electronic toys that either only came out for plane rides, or that would disappear about 2 months before our trip and suddenly reappear on the plane. That way, it was something that they weren't already bored with. You may also want to try to sit in the bulkheads as they tend to have more legroom (but no under seat storage)

Lots of luck!

Just consider it revenge for all those times you had to listen to someone else's screaming kids :rolleyes: At least thats our plan for our upcoming 6 hour red-eye flight across the country with a 1yr old. Not really planning to do anything different with her schedule or activities. Just hoping she is tired out by the end of the day and will sleep during the flight. We did buy her a separate seat as we thought she would be more comfortable in her car seat (plus we didn't want to hold her for 6 hours). We took her on an Alaska cruise at 5 months, but this will be our first experience flying with her.

Thanks everyone!!! OMG....how funny!!! Some of you have made my day!

I REALLY like the idea of sitting in over the bulk head...will try to get those seats. I never even considered the medication route for the kids or myself.

Very excited about this trip. It'll be the first cruise with all the kids. Mixed emotions...loved going with just the DH and me...now the kids will know why we love our cruising so much. Going to look for "new" and different toys that hopefully will give everyone some quiet time. Cross your fingers and say a prayer for us and especially all of the other pax on our flight.

You may also want to try to sit in the bulkheads as they tend to have more legroom (but no under seat storage)

Another plus to the bulkheads is there is no chance of accidentally kicking the seat in front of you. I had one flight where I sat in front of a seat kicker, who was about 2.5 years old and on her way to visit grandma. Mom would tell her to stop and she would, but then she'd get excited again and it would start back up. It wasn't the most comfortable flight, but mom was doing her best (she had another little one with her as well). The plane was dark and she couldn't always see when the kicking would start back up.

Cross your fingers and say a prayer for us and especially all of the other pax on our flight.

Prepare in advance. Most passengers understand that children cry, they get excited, they don't like sitting in their seats for long periods of time (heck, neither do most adults), etc and there is only so much parents can do. Most of us can understand the difference between a parent that is doing their best and one who isn't trying at all.

And if all else fails, remember you aren't alone. My mother took me on my first plane ride when I was 17 days old. It was just her, me, and my 3 year old brother - and 14+ hours of traveling including 2 connections. And she lived to take us on several more airplane trips as we grew up.:p

If you have ever watched the Baby Mozart series of videos- you will find some ideas of what will interest a child around the age of 1 year. In fact, my son was mesmerized by Baby Mozart and that whole series of videos/dvds. If you have a laptop- these might be good to bring along.

Plus- as an asside- my son is 7 now and asked to take piano lessons and loves classical music now. I am not a pianist, nor particularly into classical music. I think it was all those hours he sat mesmerized watching Baby Mozart. He never got bored with that (from about 3 month-1 year).

I absolutely agree with the previous posters who suggest testing out Benadryl prior to a flight. My girls (both adopted from Russia, hence VERY long flights home) react negatively and hyperactively to Benadryl.

Our first daughter flew home from Russia laughing the whole way. She was 8 months old. Our second daughter cried for 11 hours straight. Nothing we did seemed to stop her from being so upset. She has never acted that way again on long flights (getting ME back on a plane with her practically took being hypnotized -- I was very traumatized by our awful Moscow-Atlanta flight!)

I have since then taken several 5+ hour plane trips with both girls when they were 1 and 3, 2 and 4 and most recently 3 and 5. One of those times was by myself. When DH and I fly together, we always book 2 seats in each of two rows, one pair of seats behind the other. One parent sits with each child. The child who seems to be the kickiest sits in the further back row. The sleepier child sits in the forward row. This has worked out very well. I also take numerous inexpensive and hitherto unseen toys for the girls. Each of these toys/activities are wrapped in wrapping paper. Unwrapping takes a little time and is a fun activity, particularly for the younger one. I even wrap food. A portable DVD player might be good. My kids loved the Baby Einstein DVDs and the music was tolerable to me. They are really pretty good videos. I also used nighttime diapers with diaper doubles (look like sanitary napkins and they literally double the holding capacity.) You can find them at Babies R Us.

The last thing is to realize that if the kids act up, there is only so much you can do. You try your best to keep them calm and quiet, but if they are insistent on crying, you know you've done your best. After our horrendous flight home from Russia, people reminded me that I will never ever see those people again. That didnt' stop me from feeling really bad for disturbing them, but I think people who've had children are somewhat understanding. I certainly am now, that's for sure! Amazingly, I didn't see anybody glaring at me on that flight from Moscow, but I did have flight attendants offer to help hold her and others offer suggestions on how to help her. and, there were several other kids who were actually worse than mine!

The flight WILL end!

Best of luck!

PS If we can't get the bulkhead seats (we've only gotten them once and that was with our laughing baby flying home from Moscow,) we get seats towards the rear of the plane, but not all the way back. That way, we're not disturbed by people hanging out, but we're not too far from the bathrooms. On our flight home from San Diego last November, my newly potty trained 3 year old went to the bathroom 7 times in 5.5 hours :o

Archived