How much liquor can we bring back?

FISH OUTTA WATER

Just off the Breeze yesterday. You no longer fill out a customs form. After the customs agent checks your passport and tells you have a nice day. You walk towards the exit. That is where a lady will ask you if you bought any tobacco or alcohol. Politely say NO and keep walking.

How much can you carry? Seriously, just be nice to the customs people. We literally brought back 54 bottles once (they had a great deal on Crown, so my mother-in-law stocked up for our engagement party (that was several months away). Not a penny in duty. And it wasn't hidden -- we had to go buy some rolling bags from the FunShops to transport it all.

A plane wasn't a problem. Sailed out of and into New Orleans, where they live.

Just off the Breeze yesterday. You no longer fill out a customs form. After the customs agent checks your passport and tells you have a nice day. You walk towards the exit. That is where a lady will ask you if you bought any tobacco or alcohol. Politely say NO and keep walking.

Dead on. Never looked in my luggage, ever. Could be all booze. Getting your $9 hooch tax: VERY low on their list of priorities...

Because lying to a federal agent is a BRILLIANT idea.

OK, there's a lot of bad information (fake news) on this thread. Here's what you really need to know. Some states may have state level restrictions, but this is the federal deal right here:

1) You can bring back ONE LITER duty free, period. Doesn't matter what it is or where it is made.

2) You can bring back ANOTHER liter duty free if it comes from one of the 17 countries in the Caribbean Basin Initiative. You can find a list of those countries here: https://ustr.gov/issue-areas/trade-development/preference-programs/caribbean-basin-initiative-cbi

3) Additionally, you can bring back up to FOUR MORE liters duty-free, provided they were purchased in a US possession (like St Thomas, for instance), as long as at least ONE of those liters was produced IN that possession. For example, one bottle of Cruzan and three bottles of Sheridan's, all bought in the USVI are duty-free.

4) The total of 1,2 and 3 above cannot exceed 5 liters - not 6 like you might think. If you take all four of the possession liters, you have to give up the CBI liter.

Above that, you MAY pay duty on additional liters. I say MAY, because it depends on the agent you encounter. Sometimes they won't ask you, and sometimes they will and will wave you through anyway. Depends on... what, I don't know.

#Truth

Correct, Me and hubby went to St Thomas and we brought back 10 bottles of alcohol, 8 of those bottles were cruzan different rums, We had no problem we claimed them all and as a matter of fact I asked the agent if that was correct he said yes.

From the US Customs and Border Protection web site:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/544/~/items-which-can-be-brought-back-from-the-caribbean-duty-free

What can I bring back from the Caribbean?

As a general rule, travelers to Caribbean Basin Initiative (CBI)countries are allowed a $800 duty-free exemption on their return to the U.S. You may include two liters of alcoholic beverages with this $800 exemption, as long as one of the liters was produced in one of the CBI countries.

The duty exemption for travelers returning from the U.S. Virgin Islands is $1,600. You may include 1,000 cigarettes as part of this exemption, but at least 800 of them must have been acquired in the U.S. Virgin Islands (keep your receipt). You may include five liters of alcoholic beverages in your duty-free exemption, but one of them must be a product of the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, or American Samoa.

This means that you can bring back 2 liters per adult in the family, as long as one bottle is made in the Caribbean. If you purchase in the USVI, then you can bring 5 back, as long as one is made in the Caribbean.

Yes I am going to as you say drag a case of beer back with me since I like the beer and they dont import it to the states.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Being a fan of Amstel Bright (only sold on 4 islands in the Caribbean), I hear ya!

It looks like it is the same laws. If the bottles/cans are 12 oz, that equates to 4.25 Litres.

Have a great trip!