Any ports in Aus/NZ commonly missed?

CruisinKiki

Just wondering if there are any ports in New Zealand or Australia that are often missed due to weather difficulties, etc. We are scheduled for February 2009, Diamond Princess, to visit:

Auckland

Tauranga

Christchurch

Dunedin

Hobart, Tasmania

Melbourne

Sydney

If there are any that are often missed, we might be more comfortable with a ship's tour rather than an independent company. Thanks for any advice! I have been glued to RedRox's recent postings!

When we were on the Statendam cruise in November last year, we were lucky enough to visit all the planned ports. However, the previous cruise got into Tauranga very late because of bad weather but, as I understand it, the tour operator (Mount Classic) pulled all the stops to ensure the tour went on at the new time. When we spoke to our other tour operators, they told us they wouldn't charge our credit card until we arrived in case of inclement weather but we didn't have to put this to the test! I really think most reputable tour operators are fully aware that there can be bad weather and react very honourably. I found the independent tours really are very much more personal and would think very seriously before taking the ship tours. Perhaps a word with the tour operator before booking? Hope this helps.

We have missed Dunedin on one of our New Zealand cruises due to high winds.

We have friends aboard Crystal Serenity who have just this week also missed Dunedin for the same reason.

CruisinKiki--We were on Mercury last month from Sydney and hit all the ports on your list plus Wellington, NZ. The Tasman Sea crossing was very calm, but the first night out of Sydney, from the first minute pulling away from the pier was ROUGH!!! :eek:

I went down to my room after main seating, took a Bonine and stayed put all evening. No reading for me that night. I learned my lesson in '04 (San Juan to Aruba) when I thought it would stop any minute and kept reading. HA! Bad idea.

Did not actually get sick, but others did, including the comedian, who got sick in both shows and didn't make it back to finish the 2nd one. They canceled the production number for the dancers' safety.

I didn't trust my legs to get me there safely and didn't want to be up on deck 7. We book cabins on the lowest deck near the center for sea sickness prevention. ;D I took another pill in the morning and one more later as we entered the Tasman Sea out of Hobart, just in case. DH never gets the least bit sick.

• 2 months later...

Okay, I need advice. The independent tour company we'd like to go with in Dunedin charges full price even if the ship doesn't dock. I'm thinking that we shouldn't go with this company because for five of us, it's a lot of money to pay. Advice?

Okay, I need advice. The independent tour company we'd like to go with in Dunedin charges full price even if the ship doesn't dock. I'm thinking that we shouldn't go with this company because for five of us, it's a lot of money to pay. Advice?

Contact arthurstours@xtra.co.nz ...make sure you put an appropriate subject line such as "Enquiry for Tour Feb 09". Also tell him Bev from Queensland recommended his company ;) . A bunch from our Sapphire Roll Call 2/2/08 used a variety of his tours. Unfortunately we struck dense FOG so unable to appreciate the beautiful scenery of Otago Peninsular. An enjoyable day nonetheless. Arthur will email you details of his tours along with terms....i.e. credit card to secure booking, (not accessed until the day). Charged if "No Show" yet in port - a cancellation fee if only 24 hours notice - NO CHARGE if ship unable to dock. Definitely by-pass an operator who intends to charge if weather prevents the ship berthing :(

I enjoyed this itinerary so much...and SAPPHIRE - I'd do it again :)

Happy planning and travels,

B E V

I know that there are other options in this port, but the operator we wanted to use was pretty highly recommended on this board for its nature focus -- it's unfortunate that they would penalize the tourist if the ship couldn't dock. I understand that they would lose money, but seems like a cost of business. In six cruises, we have missed ports on two of them so I'm not willing to take the risk. We will most likely go with Arthur whom I've also had contact with and is highly recommended. Thanks all.

Just curious kiki...which tour operator was this that wouldn't refund for a missed port?

Nancy

I know that there are other options in this port, but the operator we wanted to use was pretty highly recommended on this board for its nature focus -- it's unfortunate that they would penalize the tourist if the ship couldn't dock. I understand that they would lose money, but seems like a cost of business. In six cruises, we have missed ports on two of them so I'm not willing to take the risk. We will most likely go with Arthur whom I've also had contact with and is highly recommended. Thanks all.

It's Elm Wildlife Tours. They are very highly reviewed on this board and I'm disappointed that we won't be going with them. There are five of us traveling so that's more than $500 that we would be charged if the ship didn't dock. On two out of six previous cruises, we have missed ports due to high winds or bad weather than won't allow the ship to dock safely, so I'm weary of taking the risk -- it might be fine, but then again, it might not. Looks like Dunedin has been missed by other posters so I'm not willing to take the change. I don't mean to badmouth this company, sounds like their tours are great.

It's Elm Wildlife Tours. They are very highly reviewed on this board and I'm disappointed that we won't be going with them. There are five of us traveling so that's more than $500 that we would be charged if the ship didn't dock. On two out of six previous cruises, we have missed ports due to high winds or bad weather than won't allow the ship to dock safely, so I'm weary of taking the risk -- it might be fine, but then again, it might not. Looks like Dunedin has been missed by other posters so I'm not willing to take the change. I don't mean to badmouth this company, sounds like their tours are great.

I was hoping it wasn't Elm.:( I wonder if that policy was in effect last year when we booked it. I never thought to ask actually, so maybe it was a good thing we made that port.

I think the better thing for them to do is refund the money if the ship does not dock in that port. That would be fair. Without the ship in port, they'd have no one to take on the tour anyway, so nothing gained, nothing lost. I wonder if Brian realizes how many people are hesitating to book, because of this policy?

Nancy

Archived