The new age of cruising for Celebrity..The nickel and dime approach

saevans

Frankly, the dining room cappuccino that I've had doesn't compare at all to what you get from a Starbucks.

If you've even gone on a galley tour, keep your eyes open and you'll see an automatic cappuccino / espresso / coffee machine. All they do is place the cup beneath the spout, press the button, and probably 30 seconds later it is ready -- no manual operation involved. By the way, right next to the cappuccino button is a coffee button, so I think someone is getting ripped-off paying for a little frothed milk added to their espresso (think "instant" espresso) vs. just taking the free coffee.

Interesting. I just got off the same cruise as the OP, and actually commented several times that we felt less "nickel and dimed" than on our Alaska cruise in 2002.

When I looked at my account at the end of the trip, I was relieved to see that my total bill for the whole trip was $4.35 LESS than I'd planned on spending. No, I didn't deny myself anything that I wanted- I drank when I wanted, I gambled as much as I usually do (not much), I did more spa treatments than I usually do, we ate in Ocean Liners, and I bought souvenirs in the gift shop (wearing my garrish $10.00 silk tie right now!) We purchashed one or two fewer of the photos because, I mean, really, how many picutres in a tux can you have in front of the staircase? And we spent a little extra on a shore excursion when the itinerary changed.

The difference we noticed was that there were fewer times when staff aproached us with a "souvenir mug" or "special towel" to buy. Our stateroom attendants NEVER asked us if we wanted to buy our bathrobes, as they did in Alaska. We actually found this a refreshing change!

And with what we spent per day with all expenses added, we still found this to be a great value. Of course, I don't drink coffee, let alone cappucinos, so maybe that's the difference.;)

Okay, I think someone's just trying to stir the pot about this again :) If you look at the OP's post, they've been registered since Oct. 2002, but this was their first post.

While it's interesting to read other people's opinions, I'm interested as to why this is their first post - you'd think after so many cruises, they'd have something to offer the first time cruiser in the way of advice?!?

Just my two cents worth (although it wasn't really worth that much!)

Okay, I think someone's just trying to stir the pot about this again :) If you look at the OP's post, they've been registered since Oct. 2002, but this was their first post.

While it's interesting to read other people's opinions, I'm interested as to why this is their first post - you'd think after so many cruises, they'd have something to offer the first time cruiser in the way of advice?!?

Just my two cents worth (although it wasn't really worth that much!)

I found that interesting, too, but then wondered if they may have lost any posts when the boards made that change over a couple of months ago. Granted that is still a while to go without any posts. The t-word even crossed my mind.

Hey Lois!

Yeah, we just returned from Europe on the Constellation Transatlantic that the OP was on. Great trip, and when I get a chance, I'll post a review! Hope your trip on HAL was good too! We're in the same "boat" as you, without a cruise booked, so I just called my travel agent, and told her to get busy! Looking at QE2 next summer in Europe, or the Constellation Baltics (But the prices-:eek: )

Andrew

Archived