About Those Waffles!!!

Grandma B

We just returned from a great trip on the Jan 28th 11 night cruise to the Caribbean on the Constellation. Since I had read so much about the waffles, & we had not discovered them 5 yrs ago on the Infinity, decided to hunt them down. What a wonderful surprise!

Texed, I've read many of your comments about the waffles....any chance you or anyone else out there have a recipe at least similar to these?? They are just fantastic....have never eaten a waffle that seems to melt in your mouth! Had them almost every day with the blueberry syrup & also always had one with the orange syrup.

So....any recipes?

Thanks,

Nancy

We just returned from a great trip on the Jan 28th 11 night cruise to the Caribbean on the Constellation. Since I had read so much about the waffles, & we had not discovered them 5 yrs ago on the Infinity, decided to hunt them down. What a wonderful surprise!

Texed, I've read many of your comments about the waffles....any chance you or anyone else out there have a recipe at least similar to these?? They are just fantastic....have never eaten a waffle that seems to melt in your mouth! Had them almost every day with the blueberry syrup & also always had one with the orange syrup.

So....any recipes?

Thanks,

Nancy

Nancy, sorry to horn in on your thread since I haven't had the opportunity to enjoy the waffles but will be doing so next week. Are they offerred in the dining room or at the buffet. I don't want to miss them.:) And it would be great if someone does have the recipe.

Thanks,

Bettie

Nancy,

I have attempted to secure the recipe with no success. I now simply meander through life awaiting my next cruise so that I may, once again, enjoy the Celebrity waffle.:D

Thanx for the picture SusieV. Is that orange butter on those waffles or whipped cream?

Barry

occassionally, and enjoys them...

But when I hear X fans touting 'superior cuisine' and waffles in the same breath, I laugh. :)

Waffles are cheap cheap cheap and, I'll bet a Grand Marnier Souffle to a Bananas Foster, the batter comes from mix purchased from institutional food service purveyors - so don't count on the galley chef knowing the 'receipe' either.

I'll bet in a blind tasting you couldn't tell the difference between X's waffles and those self served and cooked (from plastic cups) each morning at about 50,000 chain hotels across America (probably the same Sysco Systems product). Add a couple toppings and cruise ship salt breeze and - ta da - haute cuisine (not). ;)

Flame away. Just don't overcook the comfort food! :D

But when I hear X fans touting 'superior cuisine' and waffles in the same breath, I laugh. :)

Waffles are cheap cheap cheap and, I'll bet a Grand Marnier Souffle to a Bananas Foster, the batter comes from mix purchased from institutional food service purveyors - so don't count on the galley chef knowing the 'receipe' either.

I'll bet in a blind tasting you couldn't tell the difference between X's waffles and those self served and cooked (from plastic cups) each morning at about 50,000 chain hotels across America (probably the same Sysco Systems product). Add a couple toppings and cruise ship salt breeze and - ta da - haute cuisine (not). ;)

Can you say "Curmudgeon"??:(

I am not a fan of waffles in general, but my my wife is. But all I can say is.......jeeeeezzzz!!!!

I can tell the difference! Trust me - DH loves to stay in those hotels with the waffle irons. I don't eat them there. I eat them on the ship or at home.

Them are fight’n words! And I’ll up you a Rack of Lamb en Croute!:eek: :D

I can tell the difference! Trust me - DH loves to stay in those hotels with the waffle irons. I don't eat them there. I eat them on the ship or at home.

And that's the difference! Eaten on a ship, they taste better!

Available as room service, they're available but they'll use your hair straightener to cook them and they come out just a lee-tle 'je ne sais quoi' :D

I was working at an upmarket wine store about 30 years ago when the authoritative French wine poobahs STOPPED conducting major public blind taste tests with renowned gourmet types because $10-20 a bottle Napa hooch was consistently blowing away the competing Ch. Lafite, Latour, Mouton Rothchild and so forth... The Californians were tickled... until the Aussies came along... :D

Blind beer taste tests have caused even funnier results... but then we don't really consume beer do we? (we rent it)

Waffles taste tests... why not!! Call the local Hampton Inn.

I'll bet in a blind tasting you couldn't tell the difference between X's waffles and those self served and cooked (from plastic cups) each morning at about 50,000 chain hotels across America (probably the same Sysco Systems product). Add a couple toppings and cruise ship salt breeze and - ta da - haute cuisine (not). ;)]

They are the best. We had waffles on another line and were quite disappointed--flat, no taste, worse than a store brand ripoff of Eggo. Hotel ones are okay, but not in the same league as Celebrity's.

On Celebrity, the waffles are delicious without the great toppings they offer which make them even better.

Woodofpine, I kind of feel sorry for you. You have no idea what you are missing.

Waiting for Texed in 4, 3, 2, 1, .........

:D

I am here. I have been reading over the thread/. MOST of the folks on here have great tastes. :) I will try to post on our recipe.

What a wet diaper! I recently found at Williams-Sonoma a belgian waffle mix that has malt in it. Compared to their regular mix, and again to Krusteaz, it is the best of the 3 when it comes to belgian waffle-specific mixes. The mix with malt in it is very tender, on the sweet side and melts in your mouth. So, it may come close.:D :D :D

post_old.gif January 22nd, 2007, 08:53 PM

image.php?u=128077&dateline=1183576698Swedish Chef user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_8884550", true);

Cool Cruiser

icon14.gifSomeone asked for a Reciepe...Enjoy

Basic Buttermilk Waffles

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons sugar

3 whole eggs

1/4 cup butter (half a stick), melted and cooled slightly

2 cups buttermilk at room temperature

1. Preheat the waffle iron while you set about making the batter.
  2. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
  3. Separate the eggs. Whisk the yolks with the melted butter in a small bowl (make sure the butter is cooled enough that it won't curdle the yolks). Whisk the egg whites into the buttermilk. Pour the butter/yolks into the buttermilk mixture and whisk well.
  4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Allow the mixture to rest for 5 minutes.
  5. Ladle into your waffle iron as directed.
  6. Enjoy!
  7. To Keep them crispy keep them warm in the oven until your ready to serve them :D

wafflebasics.jpg

Peter and Ann

Thanks again to Swedish Chef for the recipe. I've been using it for a year or two. Always get great compliments when I serve them to anyone.

I think I'm pretty objective about the food on Celebrity. Some items are better than others, but I have to tell you that I am not ordinarily a fan of waffles and only went aft to the waffle station after reading one of Texed's threads. I have to say that they are different than the normal restaurant or hotel fare. They have a unique texture and taste and no, it's not because I'm relaxing on my cruise. (I do wish I was back out there, though)

Swedish Chef user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_8884550", true);

Peter and Ann

Thanks very much for posting the recipe Peter and Ann.

But, you also need a very good waffle maker. We have the "Waring Pro Restaurant Style Waffle Maker". It is not cheap, but it really makes great waffles. :D

image.php?u=128077&dateline=1183576698Swedish Chef user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_8884550", true);

Cool Cruiser

Basic Buttermilk Waffles

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons sugar

3 whole eggs

1/4 cup butter (half a stick), melted and cooled slightly

2 cups buttermilk at room temperature

1. Preheat the waffle iron while you set about making the batter.
  2. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
  3. Separate the eggs. Whisk the yolks with the melted butter in a small bowl (make sure the butter is cooled enough that it won't curdle the yolks). Whisk the egg whites into the buttermilk. Pour the butter/yolks into the buttermilk mixture and whisk well.
  4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Allow the mixture to rest for 5 minutes.
  5. Ladle into your waffle iron as directed.
  6. Enjoy!
  7. To Keep them crispy keep them warm in the oven until your ready to serve them :D

wafflebasics.jpg

Peter and Ann

Thanks again to Swedish Chef for the recipe. I've been using it for a year or two. Always get great compliments when I serve them to anyone.

You live close to one of my favorite places on the planet! I'd like to enjoy some waffles while camping under the stars! Hug a tree for me next time you see a redwood (lol)!!!

Thanks for the recipe post, I was about to post a similar one. I made waffles last weekend and what makes them better is beating egg whites and folding them into the mix. The waffles get light and crispy. I would guess that X's recipe is similar.

Archived