Salmon Bake in Juneau

aksharp1

From everything I've read, I heard the Thane Ore House was better. But it's Gold Creek they offer on the tours. We're going to Thane Ore House in July. Two reasons that it sounds better to me: 1) They serve Halibut in addition to salmon and 2) Thane Ore has inside dining. Gold Creek Salmon Bake doesn't serve halibut (I don't think) and it is outside dining, so if it rains.....

We did the Gold Creek Salmon bake last year, and loved it. The salmon was great and I like the outdoors, even though it rained, they have awnings and outdoor heaters. There's a nice little walk to a waterfall for great pictures.

2428017530101628544S425x425Q85.jpg

2944568160101628544S425x425Q85.jpg

2642159660101628544S425x425Q85.jpg

Just wanted to add, we were originally going to do the Thane Ore House, but when I called they were very non committal to transporting us. So we decided to do the ships tour. I had the same fears about the menu, because we are not big salmon eaters, but we thought it was great, and they also had barbecued chicken and ribs if I remember correctly.

We ate there the last time we were there and we loved it. My 16 year old is asking to go back this cruise as well. It rained while we were there and that made it fun. they had umbrellas that we borrowed and walked along the river to see the salmon up to the waterfall. The kids roasted marshmellows over a fire and the entertainment was charming.

What is Thorne Ore House? Is it the same set-up, buffet style? Is it the same price? Can you decide to book the salmon bake when you get off the ship thru a local vendor as a last minute decision or do you have to do it in advance thru the ship? I don't mind eating outside but if it happens to be really cold that day in Juneau (we are going in Sep) then I don't know if I could handle being out in the cold for a long amount of time.

Thane Ore House is a restaurant.

We did the outdoor Gold Creek Salmon Bake in September, and it did rain and the weather was cool, but they had heaters and awnings, so it was comfortable. You should be able to decide and book while on the ship. If you decide to go to Thane Ore House, you would need to call them directly and either get directions or see if they will pick you up.

It doesn't sound like anyone has been to Thane Ore House above?? For me, it is for salmon- it is excellent here. If your priority is halibut, Twisted Fish right on the dock, is excellent, so is the Hanger. There is no need to shuttle to Thane Ore House, if limited on time, otherwise.

The Salmon Bakes are very good, but serve large amounts of people. If a consideration, I suggest you just make the choice when you get there. They run a continous loop bus and tickets can just be purchased right at the dock.

IF you are going to the Thane Ore House, you do need to make reservations in advance, at the latest, call them when you arrive and see what their transportation "schedule" is. They are a small operation.

Thane Ore House is a restaurant.

We did the outdoor Gold Creek Salmon Bake in September, and it did rain and the weather was cool, but they had heaters and awnings, so it was comfortable. You should be able to decide and book while on the ship. If you decide to go to Thane Ore House, you would need to call them directly and either get directions or see if they will pick you up.

Another person posted the Thane Ore House' web address. They state on the website that they provide a shuttle. If you don't contact them first you can simply go to the visitors center at the base of the Mt. Roberts Tram. There's an tourist infomration counter; simply go there and they will call the folks at the Thane Ore House. We were actually on the Whale Watching cruise with Capt. Larry. On the ride back we asked about options for good salmon. They called the Thane Ore House and they sent a shuttle which picked us up at the Mt. Roberts Tram.

The meal included delicious salmon; beer-battered Halibut; and ribs. My take was that I didn't want to wast room with ribs that I could get at home. The halibut was delicious; and the salad bar excellent.

If it's cold you can eat inside; and if not you can eat outside. In my opinion, a great choice!

Thank you so much for all your help. I think I am leaning more towards Thane Ore House, it sounds more reasonable. Of course, I will need to discuss this with the other members of my party, but atleast I will know what I am talking about. Again, Thank you!

Archived