flight with cruise

bamn

I am seeing different info about the flight with cruise packages. I have heard that these are bad flights with many layovers and that the cruise ship will NOT wait for you if there are delays or cancellations and I have herad that they will. Buying our flight seperate would save us a couple hundred but then if we have to pay our own transfers to the ship and back pluse a night in a motel to be safe incase of delays cancellations I don't think it would save us much if anything. Any advise outthere on this subject? Will the boat wait if we book through the cruiseline? Are they the worst flights?

A ship will wait for a "short" time if a flight is delayed, but there is no guarantee that if your flight is more than a couple hours late, that they will wait. I've been on cruises that have left hundreds of passengers because flights were three or more hours late. A ship cannot wait indefinitely, and they will leave even if it means messing with a lot of passengers.

I only took the cruise line's flight once----never again after that. They find the cheapest flights and they can be terrible, depending on where you live. On that one nightmare flight, we left Milwaukee, and flew to : St Louis, Memphis, Montgomery, Tampa and finally Ft Lauderdale. It was awful. Depending on what port you're leaving from, your transfer could be as little as $15 via taxi. That's what it costs to go from the Ft Lauderdale airport to the Ft Lauderdale port. And that's $15 for a cab, not per person. Depending on where you live and your flight to the cruise originates, you don't necessarily have to fly in the day before. I've only done that for a handful of my 52 cruises and I've not missed a cruise, knock on wood.

The ship will only wait a short time IF you book air through the cruiseline and IF there are alot of passengers delayed! Otherwise, they will get you to your 1st port where you will meet the ship.

If you can fly in 1 day early, book your own flights. It's usually cheaper and you can pick the airline, route, # of layovers (if any) and seats! By going a day early, you won't be afraid of missing the ship and you'll arrive relaxed and ready to party!

Getting a cab instead of a "transfer" is NOT a big deal in most ports. We prefer it, because with a shuttle, you have to wait for the bus to fill, and then ride uncomfortably to port, where you end up in lines from all the "bus" people! A cab is quicker, more comfortable, and no big crowds! For instance, in Miami, a cab is $24--not a budget breaker!!!

I booked it all through RCI and was given direct flights :D on American Airlines Toronto to Miami arriving at 9:45 am which is plenty of time to get on the ship which leaves at 5pm.

I heard bad things about air arrangements too, but simply requested early morning and direct........they accomodate when they can they told me. I wanted to not have to worry about a thing.....no taxi, rental car, shuttle to hire.......it's all done so it's worth my $100 savings IMO.

Good Luck however you decide to do it!!

Flying in a day early is not only so that you can be sure that you get to the ship on time. The other reason is that you can rest up after the stress of packing, manuevering through the airport and security, and the flight, and get used to any time adjustments. You get a good nights sleep and arrive at the port refreshed and ready to enjoy your cruise.

Back before we realized this extra benefit, we used to fly in the day of the cruise. We spent that first day onboard unpacking and were too tired to enjoy much of anything. We finally wised up and fly in at least a day early.

You might want to read this Sticky Post in the Cruise Air forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=530322

And while cruise ships can wait a short time for delayed air passengers, there are many factors that go into that decision and you cannot rely on it with any certainty. Read your cruise contract and you will see that the cruiseline specifically claims no liability for late flights, and they only book your flights as a convenience to you--there are no promises of better service, connections or holding the ship.

Thanks for the input and the link. I am really running out of time here with needing to leave the last weekend in March and not having anything booked yet or even any decisions made. I am really thinking maybe I should just forget it and do a bed and breakfast here in MI. Way cheaper and easier and it is also something we have never done. But right now I am really wishing for the warm weather and I will not get that here in March.

I cannot leave a day early on the two cruises we have at the top of our list (Inspiration from Tampa to Grand Cayman and Cozumel, or Imagination from Miami to Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman) There are a couple that leave from Galveston on the Ecstasy or New Orleans on the the Fantasy I guess I could consider. I live in MI so weather is more often than not a factor.

I agree you are running out of time--and that coupled with your chosen week (which is still a Spring Break week ==> higher airfares) may limit your options more than anything else.

Did you know that Galveston is a long drive from the nearest airport? It is one of the longer port commutes, and thus higher cost and one that cruisers tend to dislike. Given your first two choices, I would suggest the Inspriation out of Tampa, but that might also depend on your air costs and options. Which airports can you use?

I live in the middle of nowhere so it really doesn't matter where I fly from, whats another hour or two driving right. I have been checking Detroit prices which is 4 hrs away but I can book a direct flight and I had been looking at Grand Rapids wich is only a couple hours away but I would have to transfer at some point.

Sorry it took so long to get back--boards were really acting up this am--your best bet looks like Tampa. Book a GTY for $550 with tax and surcharge pp. Air can be had for less than $300 on Spirit from Detroit. NS, but you have to get there early. Cruise air is running about $525 pp with tax, so you save over $450 which goes a long ways towards tip, excursions, hotels and taxis.

DH booked the cruise - Tampa to Cozumel and Grand Caymen Leaving 2-29. With ins and fuel sup it came to around 1200 for us both. We were upgraded to the empress deck but ended up with a room in the very back with a window looking out the back. I hope it's a nice room. I booked a flight today that went up $35 pp since yesterday but only had one option to fly out in order to leave Friday night after work and make the 3 1/2 hr. drive. Flight came to $345pp ($690 T) So we will not be too much over what we wanted to spend.:rolleyes: I am feeling terribly guilty leaving the kids and spending all that money on myself, DH is just plain excited. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Archived