Anyone use a Us Cellular phone while on ship?

HappyPappe

We are leaving out of Galveston next Sunday and heading to Progresso and Cozumel. I contacted my provider yesterday but they really couldn't advise me of rates. They said .25 cents per minute in Mexico and maybe a $3.00 surchage but couldn't tell me rates while I am actually on the ship.

Anyway, has anyone ever used a Us Cellular phone on the ship and what was your rate?

Thanks in advance,

Sheila

I just returned from a Carnival cruise to the Mexican Riviera. While on ship, the charge was $2.49 pm and off ship it was .69 pm. I use Verizon. I had to have International Dialing loaded onto my phone. It was a free addition. I just called Verizon and they took care of it. I also used it in the Bahamas on RCI. Same $2.49 PM on ship.

I just returned from a Carnival cruise to the Mexican Riviera. While on ship, the charge was $2.49 pm and off ship it was .69 pm. I use Verizon. I had to have International Dialing loaded onto my phone. It was a free addition. I just called Verizon and they took care of it. I also used it in the Bahamas on RCI. Same $2.49 PM on ship.

Iv read here make sure you have International plan before you use your cell phone, good advice.

I have had US Cellular my last two cruises and it didn't work very well. I didn't have a signal most of the time. Even off the Florida keys and in the ports when the phone showed some bars for signal strength, I couldn't ever get the calls to go through.

ok i can quote att/cingular

on ship it is 2.49/min even with world traveler plan here is the link to att ship coverage http://www.wireless.att.com/travelguide/coverage/coverage_details.jsp?CIDL=1578&MNC=CING&DID1=112&DID2=&STEP=5

in mexico it is .99/min w/o world traveler .59/min w/ world traveler here is the att link to international services

http://www.wireless.att.com/travelguide/coverage/roaming/step1.jsp;csessionid=1LIQQNU15JA1NB4R2ELSFFA

For Verizon I found that at night at sea I had no service (Western Carribean). I called up before and had international calling added to my phone, a free thing you need to ask for, apparently.

It was $2.49 a minute for calling

It was cheaper to txt.

$.50 to send and $.05 to receive

Hope that helps!

T-Mobil was 2.49 a min on the ship. I would not travel without a cell phone. I was on the Carnival Legend and the ship was a day late comming back, and we had to change our air. You could not get a line out on the cabin phone. When I did after over and hour of trying I could hear them but they could not hear me. My Cell phone worked better than the ships phone. At the pursers desk they had a free phone set up to call the airport, if you wanted to wait over 3 hours in line.

Archived