Liberty not making it back to FLL on time?

tggs726

I was on the Liberty today also. I am now sitting at my dad's house north of Lauderdale cuz of a missed flight too.

A steward told me Saturday morning that the 13 year old kid was climbing some sort of railing and slipped and hit his head in a way that his eye actually got puctured on something jutting out. He also opened up a nasty gash from the top of his brow all the way down the side of his face. FWIW I cannot verify any of this, but the eye injury sems to be the constant in all of everyones conversation ( again for what thats worth ) .

All in all it would not have been too bad if Customs would have let us debark in a timely manner. We arrived at 1130 and thought we would be able to get to FLL for a 2:30 flight. We even had a really low tag to exit ( number 3 to be exact) We finally got off of the ship by 2:15 and missed our flight. Sucks, and I feel really bad for the kids family, but Carnival has no blame in this mess.

Lou

How common are medical emergencies getting to be? It seems to happen quite alot. It happened while i was on the Legend in 06.

When we were on the Sensation in 2001 there were three medical emergencys early in the cruise,. One involved a helicopter lifting the sick person off and 2 involved quick returns to the nearest port. it got so every time the ship made a slight turn people were saying "medical emergency". But in perspective, with that many people, medical emergencys would happen on a day to day basis no matter where you are. it just seems more public at sea when you can't call the closest ambulance

G.

But if it were wheelies which are NOT allowed, or some kid doing something stupid like crawling around on a railing.....he and his family deserved what they got, and the family should be paying for all the distressed passengers and banned from future cruises for their stupidity.

As for the other passengers, If I was onboard I'd seek out the name of the family and start a civil suit against them for the problem, along with calling child services for not supervising their brat who caused such a mess for so many people......

As fro lawsuits, children are SUPPOSED to be supervised at all times...I've been on way to many cruises where the little monsters are allowed to run wild while the parents are getting toasted at the bar. SO Carnival would have a number of options to NOT be sued.

Dave:eek:

But if it were wheelies which are NOT allowed, or some kid doing something stupid like crawling around on a railing.....he and his family deserved what they got, and the family should be paying for all the distressed passengers and banned from future cruises for their stupidity.

As for the other passengers, If I was onboard I'd seek out the name of the family and start a civil suit against them for the problem, along with calling child services for not supervising their brat who caused such a mess for so many people......

As fro lawsuits, children are SUPPOSED to be supervised at all times...I've been on way to many cruises where the little monsters are allowed to run wild while the parents are getting toasted at the bar. SO Carnival would have a number of options to NOT be sued.

I agree with you but a suit would not work for a few reasons.The ultimate cause was the child,and your suit would be against the child.The parents could state the child ran off and they were looking for him,or they checked themselves out of camp Carnival,ect,ect.

I know the argument of the parents are responsible for the child,ect but when it all comes back to it,it still was the child.

There has been some legal discussion regarding an overboard passenger who was found alive causing a major mess like this one and it is not getting anywhere despite the interruption of the cruise he was on.

Whoa davey Whoa!!!!

Can the civil lawsuit stuff huh, just can it. Have just a little COMPASSION will 'ya! This child probably has lost the use of that eye forever, isn't that enough of a penalty to pay?

What if it was YOUR kid! And please spare me the "I bring/brought my kids up the right way, they would never do that!" ANY kid is capable of a momentary lapse of judgement, just like an adult is!

I agree, french fry, my daughter is usually well behaved but there have been a few times I have had to say "what were you thinking". I have heard that childrens brains are not fully developed until they are older and sometimes they do make bad decisions.

Sounds like someone who is not a parent. Lighten up. The best supervised kids still get hurt!

Want to know why your cruise is getting expensive? Because people want to sue for everything! (My cruise left late.. Etc)

If the explanation is correct and this kid lost a eye, than I think they will have plenty to worry about and will pay for the kids mistake.

Think back to when you were young, you NEVER did anything? Come on, I am paying with Arthritis for a stupid bike accident when I was 16.

Kids are kids and even the most well behaved kids make a mistake or do something they shouldnt.

Heck, look around on these boards and you see where adults are jumping from balcony to balcony. So it is not only kids that make bad choices.

To get back on topic, I really hope that this child will be ok, and will be able to recover from his injuries.

Hello All, well all the stories you heard where wrong. I was on the Liberty and my daughter was with this child who was injured. He had no wheelies on and was not hanging off the ship. It was at 10 pm , not an ungoddly hour. It was an accident that should not have happened. I really don't want to get into it anymore as I'm sure something will come about on this. My 14 yr old is still freaked out about this, let me tell you how frighting as a parent to have your child come to your cabin crying covered in blood. My prays go out to that family.

Ft lauderdale has an awesome water taxi and I suggest you drop your bags off at the pier and walk over towards the ft. lauderdale grande hotel where the water taxi stop is located. you can take it all the up the canal, enjoy seeing how the rich and famous live and the gorgeous yatchs, towards the end, ask the captain, there are wonderful resturants where you can sip pina colladas. Or get off at the many beaches and enjoy your time there. As a previous posted mentioned make lemonaide and enjoy!!!! don't get yourself all twisted. At least you had a warning.

Last Valentines Day I got "stuck" in lauderdale due to an ice storm in DC. Those two days stuck turned into the best part of my vacation. Lots to do there. Oh, sharks are migrating in So. Florida beaches, so skip the beach.

I can see both sides of this "discussion"...I mean, obviously you feel for the person hurt and their family, and that person's safety should be first and foremost for Carnival. But at the same time I can understand someone being upset about having spent thousands of dollars for a vacation and than perhaps having to spend hundreds or thousands more on extra hotel or airfare charges....And I don't know what happened in this instance, but if the "delay" was caused by someone doing something stupid that's even more reason to be upset. I'm not blaming Carnival, and admittedly we all make mistakes and do stupid things in our lives, especially when we're young, so I'm not advocating civil suits or anything like that. I'm just saying that I can understand the anger from someone who is perhaps a little "inconvenienced" by a situation like this....If some drunk guy is climbing a railing, slips and cuts his head open and we are late getting back into port because of it I think I'd have a right to be upset with that guy for causing me to mis my plane, etc....So, even if it's a little harsh, I can understand a little bit of anger....It's easy for us (who aren't out time and perhaps lots of money) to say "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade", but that's easier said than done sometimes....

But like I said- accidents happen and when its all said and done hopefully the person hurt comes out of this all right....

I can see both sides of this "discussion"...I mean, obviously you feel for the person hurt and their family, and that person's safety should be first and foremost for Carnival. But at the same time I can understand someone being upset about having spent thousands of dollars for a vacation and than perhaps having to spend hundreds or thousands more on extra hotel or airfare charges....And I don't know what happened in this instance, but if the "delay" was caused by someone doing something stupid that's even more reason to be upset. I'm not blaming Carnival, and admittedly we all make mistakes and do stupid things in our lives, especially when we're young, so I'm not advocating civil suits or anything like that. I'm just saying that I can understand the anger from someone who is perhaps a little "inconvenienced" by a situation like this....If some drunk guy is climbing a railing, slips and cuts his head open and we are late getting back into port because of it I think I'd have a right to be upset with that guy for causing me to mis my plane, etc....So, even if it's a little harsh, I can understand a little bit of anger....It's easy for us (who aren't out time and perhaps lots of money) to say "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade", but that's easier said than done sometimes....

But like I said- accidents happen and when its all said and done hopefully the person hurt comes out of this all right....

The OP is a person that was embarking on the ship and knew ahead of time the ship would be late arriving into port - this is whom my remarks were meant for. I could see being more upset if you arrived at the port and found out the ship would be late, like many of the folks that would have been boarding that day. I said to make lemonade out of the day because they had the time to plan to do something fun.

I have been on the other side of the coin and got stuck in Orlando for 2 extra days because of hurricane Charlie. My husband missed 2 days of work, without pay, and we had to figure out a place to stay and arrange a flight home from a different airport. We were inconvienced and made the most of the extra full day we had at WDW. BTW...we tried to fly out of FL before the hurricane hit but no available flights.

The OP is a person that was embarking on the ship and knew ahead of time the ship would be late arriving into port - this is whom my remarks were meant for. I could see being more upset if you arrived at the port and found out the ship would be late, like many of the folks that would have been boarding that day. I said to make lemonade out of the day because they had the time to plan to do something fun.

I have been on the other side of the coin and got stuck in Orlando for 2 extra days because of hurricane Charlie. My husband missed 2 days of work, without pay, and we had to figure out a place to stay and arrange a flight home from a different airport. We were inconvienced and made the most of the extra full day we had at WDW. BTW...we tried to fly out of FL before the hurricane hit but no available flights.

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to single you out. Eventhough I quoted you, I was trying to convey the whole sentiment that goes along with that quote. I agree with the principal behind that- people need to relax and not get so worked up about life's problems, but my point was just that sometimes problems are bigger than that and I don't blame people for getting upset. And I agree with you- knowing ahead of time that you're boats gonna be late is a relatively small inconvenience, but missing your homeward bound plane or something like that is not something that I would just say "oh well" about...I'd be upset. Not necessarily at Carnival, but just at the situation in general, ya know?...

Hello All, well all the stories you heard where wrong. I was on the Liberty and my daughter was with this child who was injured. He had no wheelies on and was not hanging off the ship. It was at 10 pm , not an ungoddly hour. It was an accident that should not have happened. I really don't want to get into it anymore as I'm sure something will come about on this. My 14 yr old is still freaked out about this, let me tell you how frighting as a parent to have your child come to your cabin crying covered in blood. My prays go out to that family.

LeGerri,

Thank you for letting us know the "real" story. I just hope this child .. as well as yours, is ok.

As far as me saying "this is going to cost Carnival a LOT of money" - I was NOT implying a Lawsuit AT ALL. What I meant, is that Carnival is reimbursing many costs of hotels, late flights, meals etc because of the delay into port.

It was an accident, and I don't think the ship is liable, but then again, I am not a lawyer.

My thoughts to this family!

Catrin

There's anger and upset over the late arrival/departure of your cruise.

Then you thank God that ONE you and your loved ones are safe and sound and TWO that despite the boy's poor judgement you pray that he can recover and lead some kind of productive normal life.

Rational people don't think LAWSUIT, in this situation.

I can't speak as to what happened with the cruise that was disembarking on 2/24. I was on the Liberty when it left Ft. Lauderdale on 2/24.

As we decided to head down to FLL on 2/23, we didn't get the phone message stating that the boat would be late. Being excited about my first cruise, we got to port just before 11:00am on 2/24 and we couldn't find the boat! The cabbie even asked us if we had the wrong port. We stopped and asked and found out that the ship was late due to a medical emergency. During the cruise, all I heard (and it was rumor only) was that a child fell and injured his eye, so they had to stop at Grand Cayman for medical attention. Which seems to be more or less what everyone else heard. Since we were there anyway, we gave the porter's our luggage and went to check in. We walked right up to the tables and did all of the check in documents. We were then given a Zone 1 Boarding Pass and told to go to a waiting room. Once there, we were told that Carnival would credit the sail and sign cards $15/per person to cover the cost of lunch. Then the bused us out to Los Olas to spend some time. My BF and I did some shopping, had lunch (more than $30 total, but that was due to the alcohol). The only real complaint I have is about the bus system to get back. They told us to meet the bus at 2:30, but had no real system in place. Once we got on the bus and back to the port, we waiting in a short line, got our S&S cards, and waited in a room for about 30 minutes or so. They started boarding between 3:30 and 4. As we had a Zone 1 boarding pass, my BF and I were the 3rd couple of people on board, so that was nice! We finally sailed out around 7 or 7:30.

Yes, it was inconvenient and could have been more organized. But I think Carnival did the best they could. We really only lost about 3 or 4 hours and were in Nassau on time the next morning. If it was my family that was injured, I would certainly want Carnival to get us medical attention, and deal with inconveniencing others. However, I can appreciate that it was probably a lot more difficult for the people trying to get off the boat and catch flights.

All in all though, it didn't negatively affect my experience. It was a great cruise!

I can't speak as to what happened with the cruise that was disembarking on 2/24. I was on the Liberty when it left Ft. Lauderdale on 2/24.

As we decided to head down to FLL on 2/23, we didn't get the phone message stating that the boat would be late. Being excited about my first cruise, we got to port just before 11:00am on 2/24 and we couldn't find the boat! The cabbie even asked us if we had the wrong port. We stopped and asked and found out that the ship was late due to a medical emergency. During the cruise, all I heard (and it was rumor only) was that a child fell and injured his eye, so they had to stop at Grand Cayman for medical attention. Which seems to be more or less what everyone else heard. Since we were there anyway, we gave the porter's our luggage and went to check in. We walked right up to the tables and did all of the check in documents. We were then given a Zone 1 Boarding Pass and told to go to a waiting room. Once there, we were told that Carnival would credit the sail and sign cards $15/per person to cover the cost of lunch. Then the bused us out to Los Olas to spend some time. My BF and I did some shopping, had lunch (more than $30 total, but that was due to the alcohol). The only real complaint I have is about the bus system to get back. They told us to meet the bus at 2:30, but had no real system in place. Once we got on the bus and back to the port, we waiting in a short line, got our S&S cards, and waited in a room for about 30 minutes or so. They started boarding between 3:30 and 4. As we had a Zone 1 boarding pass, my BF and I were the 3rd couple of people on board, so that was nice! We finally sailed out around 7 or 7:30.

Yes, it was inconvenient and could have been more organized. But I think Carnival did the best they could. We really only lost about 3 or 4 hours and were in Nassau on time the next morning. If it was my family that was injured, I would certainly want Carnival to get us medical attention, and deal with inconveniencing others. However, I can appreciate that it was probably a lot more difficult for the people trying to get off the boat and catch flights.

All in all though, it didn't negatively affect my experience. It was a great cruise!

I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise. Welcome back. Ready to book another yet? LOL :D

Yeah, I'm totally ready! We have been looking at some Eastern/Souther Caribbean itineraries for next year. I kind of want to wait and see if the Splendor adds any more of those... Otherwise, we might try the Freedom or Miracle.

Archived