Logo gift because of fuel surcharge

Lynn427

Just returned from Feb 22 Majesty 3-Night cruise. We were given ONE navy blue tote bag with a large Royal Caribbean logo and a letter of explanation about the fuel charge. We were told this gift is for those who had made reservations before the fuel charge was levied. I would have preferred the cookbook, but maybe because the cruise was only 3-nights, we did not "deserve" the better gift.

The Crown and Anchor gifts were TWO lightweight beige with blue bill baseball-style caps with Crown and Anchor written on them. I'm really glad we were given the ahts, because we have six of the tote bags they gave out last year even on our January cruise on Brilliance. I had already broken straps on two of the tote bags.

The "fuel charge" tote bag is a slightly better quality.

Does anyone happen to have the printed info where RCL announced the "logo gift"? I remember reading it, but would like to print it out and take with me 3/2 for Jewel OS and 3/8 Jewel OS cruises. I will also look for it and post if I find it.

Please post the info on this thread. Thanks in advance.

You can find the original press release from 11/16/07 on the RCL website in the press archive. It specifically mentions the logo item. If you are on your cruise and you get a blank stare from Guest Relations, just go to one of the internet stations and print it up.

Here it is to save you the trouble.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/ourCompany/pressCenter/pressReleases/info.do;jsessionid=00003yLoKi_SG2JAOvX_nnFRYF6:12hbioan0?prDate=11-16-2007&prCode=A

The bigger pity of this whole matter is that if you tried to pay in full on the 16th you were told it was too late, had to have been done before the announcement. Then in December, they changed the wording to what is now shown on the website when you click on Fuel Surcharge and it tells you that it only applies if you were not paid in full on the 16th. A real kick in the teeth.

Returned Feb 3/08 cruise on Vision of the Seas and did receive the cheap Logo'd tote bag on the second night but did not see anything for the fuel surcharge compensation.

However, our stateroom attendant "Gregory" was supposedly going on vacation at the end of our week and we actually only saw him a total of four times over the duration of the week. Our room was kept clean but half of the trip is just the association you have with the staff.

I honestly think if any of us had asked him about the "gift" that we would have been given the brush off anyway.

A cookbook would have been nice, but a stateroom attendant with a bit of a personality would have been even better.

Oh well, better luck next time.

You can find the original press release from 11/16/07 on the RCL website in the press archive. It specifically mentions the logo item. If you are on your cruise and you get a blank stare from Guest Relations, just go to one of the internet stations and print it up.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/ourCompany/pressCenter/pressReleases/info.do;jsessionid=00003yLoKi_SG2JAOvX_nnFRYF6:12hbioan0?prDate=11-16-2007&prCode=A

The bigger pity of this whole matter is that if you tried to pay in full on the 16th you were told it was too late, had to have been done before the announcement. Then in December, they changed the wording to what is now shown on the website when you click on Fuel Surcharge and it tells you that it only applies if you were not paid in full on the 16th. A real kick in the teeth.

Thank you for the link.I just printed a copy and will be curious to see what happens on our March 3rd sailing on the Sovereign.

thank you for the link, i too printed it out to bring with me.

Thanks

Royal Caribbean said that because they added the fuel surcharge, each stateroom would receive 'one logo item'. Anyone that has sailed after February 1st should have received one. What is it and when did you get it?

We got a canvas bag with Royal Carribean logo - just got back from Navigator cruise 2/11 - 16 - and I bought the damn cookbook - wish I had gotten the cookbook as a gift instead of the bag! Had no idea we were getting anything, so it was still nice. But I work for a promotional bag company so we are up to our eyeballs in bags as it is.... cookbook would have been nice gift.

There's lots of great recipes in the cookbook, if anyone's interested let me know. :)

I was on the Radiance 2/10/08-2/16/08. Each person in our stateroom got a cloth tote with the RCCL logo and "Radiance of the Seas" underneath that. Not worth $30, but it makes a good church tote.

that sounds like the C & A gift not the surcharge gift.

Thanks for the link. We're on the Voyager March 30th - had a deposit before Nov 16; paid in full in January. We'll see what happens.

It is interesting to note the third paragraph indicates that guests may cancel their reservations before December 7 and get a full refund of monies paid with no penalties. Those guests who do not cancel and pay in full will receive one logo item per stateroom. The question I have - did you have to pay in full before December 7 to get the logo gift? The press release isn't exactly clear IMO.

I really don't care about the logo gift - we have a few key chains, blankets, wraps, and tote bags also. I'm sure my wife will enjoy the cookbook gift (if it materializes) to add to her collection. I just wished RCI would have given guests with deposits an opportunity to pay the cruise in full by a certain date to avoid the surcharge. Oh well. I'm just glad to be cruising soon!!

Mike

Mike, I'm totally with you on the lack of a grace period to make full payment to avoid the surcharge. But I think the December 7 date was only if you wanted to cancel without penalty. Undoubtedly there are many people who had deposited before 11/16 and still have final payment due for cruises into early 2009. They should be distributing this logo item for another year.

Just off Voyager 2/17-2/24. We got a canvas tote bag. I found it odd that we got one because we paid in full for our cruise when we booked in May '07 so, the fuel surcharge never applied to us. HOWEVER, we were part of a group and I know that some of the others in the group didn't not pay in full at the time of booking so, I'm thinking maybe we all got lumped into the same category and I got a freebie as a result. I'm not complaining. However, if I'd known who to tell that we had been given the gift mistakenly, I would have offered to give it back. They weren't too free with that information and I figured they had plenty to go around and didn't really care one way or the other.

Some got cookbooks, some got bags, and some got caps. Some got a note, others did not. Some people got one item per cabin, others got two. We paid a fuel surcharge, and did not receive a gift with note. They are not very consistent. I think they have a closet full of "logo stuff" and you get whatever is in the closet...

If they need the $$$ for fuel, that's what they should spend the money on. If they need less, then they should charge less or give us OBC.

Archived