Water Island

EKELLEY

Try using the forum search feature. I know folks have been there and have written reviews and locals have also provided comments about Water Island. Overall consensus has been favorable. :D You should be able to find quite a bit of information.

Yes, there is some type of structure there (though I can't remember now what it is). I Googled "Water Island Virgin Islands map" or something like that, and found a detailed map with points of interest clearly marked.

However, Water Island is not flat - so it's not that easy to hike around in the hot sun for too long.

Does anyone know if there is anything to explore on the island, like a fort or something, or is it just a place to go to the beach?

There is an old Fort (I had a tour there when I stayed at Sugarbird Hotel there for a week). Not sure if much is left of the hotel...maybe a foundation - it got destroyed in a hurricane. Would be quite a hike and as mentioned in a later post - Water Island is not flat. I think the Bike thour that some of the ships offer starts and the Fort so you can ride mostly downhill.

There is nothing left of the hotel. I was there last year and went to check it out. I had been there several times growing up in the 70's, lots of great memories. Its all gone and you'd never know anything was ever there. I think the fort is still there, but its a very long hike.

There is nothing left of the hotel. I was there last year and went to check it out. I had been there several times growing up in the 70's, lots of great memories. Its all gone and you'd never know anything was ever there. I think the fort is still there, but its a very long hike.

Sad then - I really enjoyed my week at that hotel. Last time I saw it was when I took a helicopter tour (after the hurricane). The curtains were all hanging out the windows :(

Archived