Travel insurance- TOO MANY PLAN CHOICES!! Help!!

Frizzle Fry

Hello everyone!

I am a first time cruiser booked on a 7 day mexican riviera cruise. I have heard that travel ins. is a very good idea these days. I checked with carnival and it's pretty expensive. I looked into insuremytrip.com (because everyone on CC seems to swear by it), but WOW! I had no idea there were so many plan options. The prices are great, but too many choices.

So here is my question for experienced cruisers:

What would you consider a good plan for this 7 day Mexican riviera cruise??

Do you have any particular plans you always get?

Any and all help is greatly aprecciated.

I would at least narrow the choices down by those policies that are in "first" position. That way you won't have to file a claim with your own medical or homeowners insurance first. Other considerations are your age, general health and even what type of excursions you plan to do.

There are questions you need to ask yourself. Does your private health insurance cover you for out of the country illness? Do you have any pre-existing conditions? Does anyone in your immediate family, even if they are not cruising with you, have pre-existing conditions? If you or anyone else has pre-existing, you're going to have to find a policy that will cover that, and I believe there's only one policy. See, for pre-existing to be covered, you have to purchase the insurance 10 to 14 days from originally booking the cruise. If you waited, it will be more expensive.

What you need for coverage is medical, emergency evacuation coverage, cancellation coverage and trip interruption coverage. You can also go for lost baggage and such extras, but the most important are the medical, evacuation and cancellation.

Hello everyone!

I am a first time cruiser booked on a 7 day mexican riviera cruise. I have heard that travel ins. is a very good idea these days. I checked with carnival and it's pretty expensive. I looked into insuremytrip.com (because everyone on CC seems to swear by it), but WOW! I had no idea there were so many plan options. The prices are great, but too many choices.

So here is my question for experienced cruisers:

What would you consider a good plan for this 7 day Mexican riviera cruise??

Do you have any particular plans you always get?

Any and all help is greatly aprecciated.

You need to consider your needs.

For instance, in my case I have an elderly mother we may have to get back to. We have children and grandchildren... things could happen to them.... an accident, serious sickness..????

My wife and I are in good health, but things happen. We could break a leg, get sick, need surgery, need to be evacuated from the ship and the country we are in. You will see many horror stories about what it costs to fly someone home in an ambulance from Mexico, or wherever.

So we want to make sure those possibilities are accounted for.

Go to tripinsurancestore.com. They have limited the number of policies they sell to the best 5 or 6 companies and they tell you why they only sell those policies. Same prices as the other website, and very nice people at the toll free number to answer your questions and help you choose the best policy for your situation.

Once again, Thank you!!

These suggestions are fantastic and will be a great help.

Thanks to the members of cruise critic, i'm a first timer and feel like a pro!!

I hope to meet good people such as yourselves on future voyages!!!

Take care and smooth sailing!

Archived