Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Vicki is on a Panama Canal Cruise right now but I am sure that some of the other locals will be able to answer your question - there are lots of Asian restaurants - Japanese and Korean on Denman a couple of blocks up from your hotel.

Will see if I can find a link for you.

Edited: here`s a link to a web site called Dine Here - I have narrowed it down to the area near the hotel but you can add other options if you wish.

http://dinehere.ca/r/vancouver?h=696-734-668&c=55-180

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker

Can you recommend any vegetarian or Chinese (Oriental) restaurants near the Westin Bayshore hotel?

Thanks

Unfortunately, the better vegetarian restaurants are not near the Westin.

The closest place I'd recommend is Hon's Wun Tun on Robson Street. It's not strictly vegetarian, but has a large portion of their menu dedicated to vegetarian dishes. This is not fine dining and the service can be abrupt, but prices are good and food is tasty.

Thank you, Dennis, Ellen and Scottbee. DD should be in Vancouver by now and eating well thanks to you. You were a big help.

DW and I did the Panama canal cruise on the Coral Princess last year so I know that

Vicki must be having a fantastic time. Especially as her cruise left from Vancouver which would be much better than LA.

We had sailed out of VC this Sept. to Hawaii. Getting through the Agricultural lines were well over an hour long. This was before you got to the RC ship lines. There were two ships sailing around the same time that day. There will be at least two ships at port next September 9th. We loved the Hawaii cruise out of VC that we are ready to book again for next September. We are planning to book a repositioning cruise. The cruise will depart from Seattle to Alaska then onto VC. The second leg leaves VC the same day. We would love to see more sites in VC for the day. Do you know if we would have to go back in the Agr. lines if we have no luggage? We didn't make it to Grouse Mountain and would like to fit that in when the ship is at port. Unfortunately, I didn't get the e-mail address of anyone that took the Alaska cruise this year and continued on to Hawaii.

I was very pleased with all the info you provided this year when we made it to VC for the first time.

Thank you again for all your help!

Mary

Edited by maryh307
forgot to say THANKS

Yes, if you leave the ship you will have to go thru the lines again. However they were likely not Agricultural lines, they would be US DHS lines that you encountered. If you get off the ship in Vancouver you will have to go thru Canadian customs but if you wait until later in the morning you should find the lines quite short. Similarly if you wait until later in the afternoon to re-board you should find the DHS lines much shorter.

We had sailed out of VC this Sept. to Hawaii. Getting through the Agricultural lines were well over an hour long. This was before you got to the RC ship lines. There were two ships sailing around the same time that day. There will be at least two ships at port next September 9th. We loved the Hawaii cruise out of VC that we are ready to book again for next September. We are planning to book a repositioning cruise. The cruise will depart from Seattle to Alaska then onto VC. The second leg leaves VC the same day. We would love to see more sites in VC for the day. Do you know if we would have to go back in the Agr. lines if we have no luggage? We didn't make it to Grouse Mountain and would like to fit that in when the ship is at port. Unfortunately, I didn't get the e-mail address of anyone that took the Alaska cruise this year and continued on to Hawaii.

I was very pleased with all the info you provided this year when we made it to VC for the first time.

Thank you again for all your help!

Mary

The 'agricultural line' you talk of, is actually the re-entry into the United States prior to your sailing (so that you didn't near to clear Immigration and Customs in Hawaii). The port of Vancouver have little control over it, as it's the US Dept of Homeland Security.

Now, on to your cruise plans. If your two cruises are on the same cruise line; it's likely that you will not be able to book it due to the PVSA which prohibits one way journeys on foreign registered ships between US ports, unless they visit a 'distant foreign port'. You trip would be considered SEATTLE-HAWAII (even though it stopped in Vancouver and Alaska). If they're two different cruise lines, you'll be OK.

I tend to agree with Scotbee and it was something that was gnawing at me as I was drafting my post...unless I am missing something you can't do this cruise on the same ship... you can however use the same cruise line. I would suggest that this something that you really need to review with your TA or RCL directly.

Last year I stayed at the Hyatt on Burrard and there was a drugstore right near the hotel. This year, I am staying at the Pan Pacific. Is there a drugstore (not a hotel inflated priced store) nearby or do I need to go back towards the Hyatt again? Thanks for the help.

Karen

Last year I stayed at the Hyatt on Burrard and there was a drugstore right near the hotel. This year, I am staying at the Pan Pacific. Is there a drugstore (not a hotel inflated priced store) nearby or do I need to go back towards the Hyatt again? Thanks for the help.

Karen

I wouldn't bother going back to the Hyatt, it's 6 blocks as the same 6 block will place you at Shopper's Drug Mart at 586 Granville or London Drugs at Georgia & Granville another block to the south, London Drugs tends to be the price leader in western Canada.

I wouldn't bother going back to the Hyatt, it's 6 blocks as the same 6 block will place you at Shopper's Drug Mart at 586 Granville or London Drugs at Georgia & Granville another block to the south, London Drugs tends to be the price leader in western Canada.

Thanks, I thought we saw other drug stores while wandering around Vancouver --- just couldn't remember where they were.

Also, just posted a question on the Canada board (wasn't sure the best place to post these days) about Fairmont Waterfront hotel in case some one cares to check it out for me.

Thanks for all the help.

Karen

Thanks, I thought we saw other drug stores while wandering around Vancouver --- just couldn't remember where they were.

Also, just posted a question on the Canada board (wasn't sure the best place to post these days) about Fairmont Waterfront hotel in case some one cares to check it out for me.

Thanks for all the help.

There's a Shopper's Drug Mart at Dunsmuir @ Granville; and a Pharmasave at W.Pender @ Granville. The latter, while smaller is generally cheaper and a block closer to the port.

Hello to all,

I have gotten through the first 100 or so pages and finally decided just to post my questions and hope they are not repeats.

I have quite a few questions so I hope you all can help.

My family and I are traveling to Vancouver at the end of June 2011 for our first cruise to Alaska. All the planning has been left up to me and I am very nervous that things will not go smoothly for us.

It will be my family of 5 {2 adults, 3 kids Ages 5,9,11} and my mom and mother in law. We want to stay in Vancouver and see the city before our cruise so we are arriving two days prior.

So here are my questions:

Which hotel should we stay at? Trying to stay for under 200 a night and need 2 rooms, Want Downtown area

What kind of transportation do we use from the airport to hotel and hotel to cruise terminal {Canada Place}? We will have tons of luggage so not sure what is best for us.

We want to see the sights in the city like Grouse Mountain, the bridge{sorry I can not remember the name}, Stanley Park and maybe some shopping. Is this possible in a day and a half? How do we get around to all of these places?

Also any other things you can recommend for kids to do and see?

I think one last one, Do I need to get Canadian Currency?

I am sorry if I sound scatter-brained I am just really stressing about this trip. Hope you can help. Will take any and all advice on how to make our stay less stressful and more fun.

Hello, and welcome to CC. You are going to have a lovely time in Vancouver. I know what it's like to be the one in charge of all arrangements and it can be stressful, but take a deep breath and try to relax.

Here's a start on some of your questions. I'm sure others will have more suggestions.

Transfer to/from the airport and hotel: With 7 people, you will need at least 2 taxis or 1 limo/van.

I suggest you take the Aerocar Service from the airport. They are the official licensed limo company for YVR. They have a flat-rate ride for max. 8 passengers @ $77 to downtown. That way, you'll all travel together and arrive together.

Hotel: You should stay downtown. You may be able to get something for under $200 if you're willing to go the Hotwire or Priceline route. The biggest downside for you would be getting 2 rooms together. You will need to split the children between the 2 rooms (at least for the purpose of reservations) because there is usually a maximum number of 4 per room. You might look into Delta Suites or other places with suites to have extra room and fridge/kitchen facilities.

Sights/shopping: I think Grouse Mountain, Stanley Park, Capilano Suspension Bridge and Granville Island would be fun for all. You can access the North Shore (where Grouse Mountain and Capilano Suspension Bridge is) via Seabus and public transit. Shopping will be easy if you stay downtown. For other things to do, take a look at BC Happygal's list on previous pages here.

Getting to Canada Place for embarkation: Easy, short taxi ride from any downtown hotel. Should run about $10 + tax & tips/cab.

Canadian Currency: Probably a good idea to get some "walking around" money for snacks, public transit, incidentals, etc. But US dollars are widely accepted if you don't mind getting little to no exchange back -- change will be in Canadian dollars. There are plenty of ATMs both at the airport and downtown to get cash as you need it. Credit cards can be used for purchases, including taxis, too.

Hope this gives you a start. I'm sure things will run smoothly. Just go with the flow and smile. We are a very laid-back place. :)

PS- Here's a link to a BCHappyGal post for things-to-do in Vancouver: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=26620302&highlight=#post26620302

Edited by ell52

I will just expand on a couple of Ell52's points:

You could take 2 cabs from YVR to the hotel, you cost will be about $35 per cab. As the Vancouver cab fleet's cars has been downsized you probably would want to have one of the cabs a mini-van cab which likely would take all of your luggage as well as 4 people. If you do decide to take a limo do not book in advance...the rate quoted is a walk up/curb rate and to make a reservation allows them to charge an amount outside of the contracted rate with YVR...you will find lots of limos waiting at YVR.

With regard to hotels without using something like Priceline or Hotwire you will have trouble keeping your cost under $200 p/n. With Priceline I recommend bidding on rooms. You go to the bidding screen, click on Vancouver-Downtown, choose 3*+ and start bidding at about $100 for a number of about $135 or so you will end up with an excellent room in a great hotel in a good location...hotels include the like of the Hyatt Regency, Marriott, Renaissance, Sutton Place....

Here is a link to Vancouver's transit system which will help you plan your excursions. There maybe merit is purchasing an all-day pass at a cost of $9, they can be purchased and most convenience stores and at Waterfront Station at the News dealer. link

I will just expand on a couple of Ell52's points:

If you do decide to take a limo do not book in advance...the rate quoted is a walk up/curb rate and to make a reservation allows them to charge an amount outside of the contracted rate with YVR...you will find lots of limos waiting at YVR.

Good point about not pre-reserving the limo. Just go to the limo dispatcher and tell them the number in your party. I would even print out the page with the rates from their website -- just in case. ;)

-

Edited by ell52

Thank you both for your suggestions. This is exactly what I needed. I am so concerned about transportation first and foremost because our party is so big. So you really just walk up to one of the limos and request their service or is there a place you have to go in the airport to reserve a car? Also have been reading a lot about the Sky Train, is this something else we should consider or would a limo or cab just be easier. I am concerned about our ton of luggage we will have.

Also in getting around the city is the public transportation close to all the downtown hotels? I am concerned with walking far with 3 little ones. I have a question about Hotwire and Priceline. I have never used these sites so I am not sure really what I am doing. Can I use these sites for my big party? I mean I thought I read that they only guarantee 2 people to a room. Sorry I am so new to all of this.

I really appreciate all you advice. Thanks so much!

I forgot to ask, Do I need a car seat for my 4 year old, {oops I mean 5 year old at the time we travel } for a limo or taxi ride. Is there any other way to Canada Place from the hotels besides taxis?

Thanks for your help

If you are renting or driving a vehicle, then your 5 year old must have a booster seat. Taxis and limos are exempt. --> http://vancouver.ca/police/organization/operations/traffic/traffic-services/taxi-team.html , so it's up to you whether you want to bring one.

While Canada Line (skytrain) is an excellent service to/from the airport, I wouldn't recommend it for your party of 4 adults, 3 children and lots of luggage.

Downtown Vancouver is very compact and it is very easy to get from any hotel to Canada Place via taxi. Unless you stay at the Pan Pacific or Fairmont Waterfront where you can take the elevator (or cross the street in the case of Fairmont), you will need to take a taxi to the pier. Trust me, this will not be difficult.

If you choose to go to Grouse Mountain or Capilano, it might be fun to take public transit on the seabus and bus. You can get a day pass that allows you unlimited rides for the day.

You also might consider the Hop-on Hop-off bus to see a lot of sights in a limited time.

ps. Re: Limos at airport

The limo area is to the right as you leave the Arrivals terminal. You'll see a sign and a line of limos waiting. And yes, you just have to walk up - no need to call and reserve.

Edited by ell52