Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

A taxi from most downtown hotels to YVR will run you about $35 . Aerocar is the official limo operator of YVR and their rate is going to be $55+, plus tax and a tip.

http://aerocar.ca/rates/flat-rates/

Thank you. I will check them out.

Are there any others you would recommend for service from the hotel to the airport? Our cruise ends in Vancouver and starts in Los Angeles.

Edited by MilliesMom

Vancouver probably has more than a dozen limo services, they come, they go and they merge. At the present time the only one that I am comfortable about recommending is AeroCar. After you settle on a hotel it may make sense to speak with the hotel as to who they recommend.

Vancouver probably has more than a dozen limo services, they come, they go and they merge. At the present time the only one that I am comfortable about recommending is AeroCar. After you settle on a hotel it may make sense to speak with the hotel as to who they recommend.

I appreciate your honest opinion on this. Thank you for telling me.

I was trying to think ahead so that these things were paid for before we went. I had read a few horror stories of cabs overcharging because of the exchange rate, so was a bit concerned.

Here I know we can trust Execucar and that their rates are just a bit over the cost of the shuttle. We have used them the last few trips with no issues.

We are staying at the Sheraton Vancouver Airport hotel in Richmond. We would like to take advantage of that and go to an authentic inexpensive Mandarin or Cantonese restaurant. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Well, you're in luck, the city of Richmond hired a full-time food blogger, and I'm sure there's a few hundred ideas on their blog

http://www.365daysofdining.com/

We will be staying 2 nights pre-cruise in Vancouver. We have not yet made hotel reservations thinking we should investigate and decide on tourist activities first and the locate our hotel accordingly.

We would appreciate suggestions for tourist activities in Vancouver. Our first thought would be a guided tour of the city that would visit the most relevant venues. That may or may not be a good idea. Since I am traveling with my daughter's family that includes 2 teen girls ages 14 and 13 - finding a tour or activities that would appeal to them is most important.

Any and all suggestions will be welcomed. Thanks.

We will be staying 2 nights pre-cruise in Vancouver. We have not yet made hotel reservations thinking we should investigate and decide on tourist activities first and the locate our hotel accordingly.

We would appreciate suggestions for tourist activities in Vancouver. Our first thought would be a guided tour of the city that would visit the most relevant venues. That may or may not be a good idea. Since I am traveling with my daughter's family that includes 2 teen girls ages 14 and 13 - finding a tour or activities that would appeal to them is most important.

I discovered this website earlier today ... it's loaded with information about the ports.

http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/vancouver.html#.UWB6zFc92dw

I know we are planning to go to the Aquarium at Stanley Park.

http://www.vanaqua.org/

I discovered this website earlier today ... it's loaded with information about the ports.

http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/vancouver.html#.UWB6zFc92dw

I know we are planning to go to the Aquarium at Stanley Park.

http://www.vanaqua.org/

Thanks! You're right about the cruiseportinsider having a lot of good information. Already sent the aquarium site to my daughter for comments. These are helpful and get me started with planning.

Forgive me if this was answered but there are 200 pages to go through.

Will I be able to make an 11:20 flight out of Vancouver after our ship gets in at 7:30?

Yes, but only if you hurry. The problem is while the ship says it's going to dock at 7:30 that doesn't mean that's when you'll get off. Secondly, unlike a US airport, when flying to the USA from Canada you clear your destination's [uSA] Immgration and Customs PRIOR to entering the departure gates [E gates in Vancouver], so that can add 30-90 minutes (based on the speed of the US DHS).

Yes, but only if you hurry. The problem is while the ship says it's going to dock at 7:30 that doesn't mean that's when you'll get off. Secondly, unlike a US airport, when flying to the USA from Canada you clear your destination's [uSA] Immgration and Customs PRIOR to entering the departure gates [E gates in Vancouver], so that can add 30-90 minutes (based on the speed of the US DHS).

Thanks for the quick response, luckily I am part of Global Entry so I fly right through US Immigration.

How long is the taxi ride to the airport on a Monday morning?

Thanks for the quick response, luckily I am part of Global Entry so I fly right through US Immigration.

20-30 mins depending on traffic once you get a taxi. As with all cruise ports there can be a short wait to get a taxi.

Other option is the Skytrain (subway), 3 block walk, then 24 mins.

The former is about $35-40 depending on traffic, the latter is $4/ea

Forgive me if this was answered but there are 200 pages to go through.

Will I be able to make an 11:20 flight out of Vancouver after our ship gets in at 7:30?

Thanks

Normally the ships are along side at Canada Place shortly after 6 am and the first self-disembarkers are walking off shortly after 7 am. So if you can self-disembark or get an early disembarkation time you should be on the curb outside Canada Place before 8 am and you should have no problem with an 11:20 flight time.

We have a local poster who has an exhaustive list of attractions in the greater Vancouver area and I am sure the is you search this thread or many of other threads on this board you will find it. If not then I am sure that she will be along with it at some point.

However, what you will find is that Vancouver's downtown if very compact and almost no hotel is more than a mile from the pier at Canada Place or blocks from transit or a HO HO stop. From many you can walk into Gastown or Stanley Park.

Edited by Putterdude

So I have a good deal booked at the Pinnacle in North Van (and received great advice here about it!) but I just found a really interesting deal at Times Square Suites at Denman and Robson near Stanley Park. I love the marina area at the north end of Denman and the walk east from there towards the Olympic cauldron is really pretty. Further I guess would take us towards Gastown. Tripadvisor reviews are awesome and it looks like an interesting property. As much as I liked the idea of that beautiful spot in North Van as an alternative to a very pricey time downtown, it definitely isn't as convenient as this would be. The price for Time Square is about the same but also includes a gift card for an Italian restaurant nearby. Any local opinions? Thanks in advance.:)

Edited by goodml

So I have a good deal booked at the Pinnacle in North Van (and received great advice here about it!) but I just found a really interesting deal at Times Square Suites at Denman and Robson near Stanley Park. I love the marina area at the north end of Denman and the walk east from there towards the Olympic cauldron is really pretty. Further I guess would take us towards Gastown. Tripadvisor reviews are awesome and it looks like an interesting property. As much as I liked the idea of that beautiful spot in North Van as an alternative to a very pricey time downtown, it definitely isn't as convenient as this would be. The price for Time Square is about the same but also includes a gift card for an Italian restaurant nearby. Any local opinions? Thanks in advance.:)

I am a North Shore boy raised and lived there for over 50 years and as much as I like the Pinnacle's location for much of what I do, if I had to chose between the two for a tourist type visit to Vancouver, I would go with the Times Square for all of the reasons you have noted.

Global Entry still requires you to talk to a US Customs person. It's like our Nexus Card . You just get to front of the line.

Are there any bicycle rental places near Canada Place? Or are they all more centralized near the entrance to Stanley Park? Google search looks like all near Stanley Park but thought some locals might have some additional info. Also, any "preference" (I know locals probably don't rent their bikes, but .... and maybe some visitors have rented....). Thanks!

Global Entry still requires you to talk to a US Customs person. It's like our Nexus Card . You just get to front of the line.

I'm very well aware of the Global Entry process, and I have yet to talk to a US Customs agent upon arrival. That being said I have not used Global Entry in Vancouver so maybe it is different there, but I doubt it

Are there any bicycle rental places near Canada Place? Or are they all more centralized near the entrance to Stanley Park? Google search looks like all near Stanley Park but thought some locals might have some additional info. Also, any "preference" (I know locals probably don't rent their bikes, but .... and maybe some visitors have rented....). Thanks!

There was a bicycle rental center on the Sea Walk just west of the new convention centre but I am not sure if it is still open.....maybe our resident bike expert in the form of Ut will be along with better information.