Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

We are staying two nights post cruise end of May.

Splurging the first night at Hotel Georgia and moving to Residence Inn half mile away. Is that in an okay area? We love to walk and we are also doing the hop on hop off bus.

Also, would you recommend train to airport with large roller bags plus carryon?

Yes the area around the Residence Inn - the Marriott one in the 1200 Hornby I assume is in a safe area - I live a block away and other than the pan handlers who hang out all over the downtown core there is nothing that should be a concern.

We have a very vibrant downtown and there are lots of restaurants etc nearby.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Cheers

Dennis

http://cruising.kreateskards.com/2013/04/01/ports-vancouver-canada/

SCAN0539.jpg

This was taken either in Victoria or Vancouver. Does anyone recognize this location and could tell me what it is called and where it is located. Thanks.

Centennial Square in Victoria, facing east

https://maps.google.com/?ll=48.428378,-123.365417&spn=0.001497,0.002599&t=h&z=19

Splurging the first night at Hotel Georgia and moving to Residence Inn half mile away. Is that in an okay area? We love to walk and we are also doing the hop on hop off bus.

Yes, it's easy to take a roller bag on Skytrain. There are elevators at all the stations, the trains are roll on roll off, and at $4/ea it's a lot cheaper than a $35-40 taxi

Awesome, thank you.

Centennial Square

In 1963, the 100th birthday of Victoria was marked by the creation of Centennial Square. This marked the beginning of a vast scheme to preserve, restore and revive downtown Victoria.

http://virtualvacationguide.com/guide.php?setpanorama=226

Edited by MilliesMom

We are booked on a Coastal cruise next year Los Angeles to Vancouver. Looks like there will be 4 ships in port the day we dock. This year our ship is at Ballantyne (NCL Pearl), so hope that next year someone else will get that pier/dock.

Which pier is closer to Stanley Park .... Canada Place or Ballantyne? I'm trying to get the lay of the land and I'm a bit lost I must admit. It's been years since I have been. Last time was in 1986 at Canada Place docked for 2 nights for the Canadian Expo.

We are looking at hotels in the Stanley Park area. Looks like it should be safe and things within walking distance if we stay there.

The Marriott Residences Inn to the closest Canada Line Station is about 13 blocks. If you are comfortable schlepping your luggage that distance then certainly it will work. Otherwise a cab fare will be in the region of $35.

We are booked on a Coastal cruise next year Los Angeles to Vancouver. Looks like there will be 4 ships in port the day we dock. This year our ship is at Ballantyne (NCL Pearl), so hope that next year someone else will get that pier/dock.

Which pier is closer to Stanley Park .... Canada Place or Ballantyne? I'm trying to get the lay of the land and I'm a bit lost I must admit. It's been years since I have been. Last time was in 1986 at Canada Place docked for 2 nights for the Canadian Expo.

We are looking at hotels in the Stanley Park area. Looks like it should be safe and things within walking distance if we stay there.

Ballantyne pier is only used about 3 days during the cruise season, it is about about a mile east of Canada Place in more of an industrial area. It is further from Stanley Park then Canada Place. If you are looking at hotels like the Westin Bayshore or the Times Square Hotel and Suites down by Stanley Park I am sure that you will be very happy with them.

We are arriving on the NCL Jewel on 5/15/13. I need to be in Seattle by 2pm to be onboard another cruise line by 3 pm. Is this possible. I know quick coach says they get you to downtown Seattle at 2 pm but they don't guarantee it. I was thinking about renting a car but someone said that it would a long wait at the border.

What do you suggest?

Ballantyne pier is only used about 3 days during the cruise season, it is about about a mile east of Canada Place in more of an industrial area. It is further from Stanley Park then Canada Place. If you are looking at hotels like the Westin Bayshore or the Times Square Hotel and Suites down by Stanley Park I am sure that you will be very happy with them.

Thanks. It's good to know they are close by each other. Won't know till 2014 which pier we are assigned but know there are 4 ships scheduled in port that day. Two are NCL.

Yes, those are the hotels I'm looking into. Know we want to spend time at Stanley Park and felt they would be a good choice especially if just for one night.

I appreciate your help.

If trying to decide which area of Vancouver is best ... Pan Pacific Hotel area or Westin Bayshore Hotel area????

We want an area that there is a lot to do within walking distance. Don't plan to rent a car and don't want the expense of a cab. Shops, art, museum, waterfront, restaurants are what we enjoy.

If we stay in the Pan Pacific area, any idea what a cab would cost to Stanley Park?

What hotels would you recommend in these areas?

If trying to decide which area of Vancouver is best ... Pan Pacific Hotel area or Westin Bayshore Hotel area????

We want an area that there is a lot to do within walking distance. Don't plan to rent a car and don't want the expense of a cab. Shops, art, museum, waterfront, restaurants are what we enjoy.

If we stay in the Pan Pacific area, any idea what a cab would cost to Stanley Park?

What hotels would you recommend in these areas?

The Westin Bayshore while a lovely hotel is a little out of the mix of things is the closest to Stanley Park the only other hotel down there is the Times Square. The Pan Pacific is a little more central, has the advantage of seeing the ships tie up in the morning and they will transfer your luggage to the pier if your ship is using Canada Place. Historic Gastown is an easy walk from the Pan Pacific and a cab fare to Stanley Park will be about $12.

Hotels that are a little more central would include the Hyatt Regency, Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, the Four Seasons, Rosewood Georgia, the Metropolitan and le Soleil.

The Westin Bayshore while a lovely hotel is a little out of the mix of things is the closest to Stanley Park the only other hotel down there is the Times Square. The Pan Pacific is a little more central, has the advantage of seeing the ships tie up in the morning and they will transfer your luggage to the pier if your ship is using Canada Place. Historic Gastown is an easy walk from the Pan Pacific and a cab fare to Stanley Park will be about $12.

Hotels that are a little more central would include the Hyatt Regency, Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, the Four Seasons, Rosewood Georgia, the Metropolitan and le Soleil.

Appreciate the information and help. I will check all of these hotels out. I've always wanted to stay at the Pan Pacific since the first time we docked there in 1986 for the Canadian Expo.

We are doing a repositioning cruise from Los Angeles to Vancouver next year. Fingers crossed that we will dock at the Pan Pacific, but there are 4 ships in port that day so one will need to be at Ballantyne Pier.

Any pros or cons on these hotels themselves?

Appreciate the information and help. I will check all of these hotels out. I've always wanted to stay at the Pan Pacific since the first time we docked there in 1986 for the Canadian Expo.

We are doing a repositioning cruise from Los Angeles to Vancouver next year. Fingers crossed that we will dock at the Pan Pacific, but there are 4 ships in port that day so one will need to be at Ballantyne Pier.

Any pros or cons on these hotels themselves?

They are all excellent hotels and and in very good locations. I have been in each of them except I have not been in the Georgia hotel since it was remodeled and re-branded Rosewood Georgia. Le Soleil is a boutique hotel.

We will be sailing out of Canada Place in May...driving up from Oregon.

Are there any hotels near the port that have a stay and park package? We would like to stay the night before the cruise and leave our car at the hotel for the week of the cruise. This is something we frequently do at our local Airport but was not sure of options near a cruise port.

Are there any hotels near the port that have a stay and park package? We would like to stay the night before the cruise and leave our car at the hotel for the week of the cruise. This is something we frequently do at our local Airport but was not sure of options near a cruise port.

Hotels in the downtown core that offer stay and park packages include:

Best Western-Downtown on Drake St.

Hampton Inn and Suites on Robson St.

Executive Vintage Park on Howe St.

Out of the core in the West End is the Coast Plaza

Accent Inns who operate motels in Burnaby and Richmond offer packages.

Hotels in the downtown core that offer stay and park packages include:

Best Western-Downtown on Drake St.

Hampton Inn and Suites on Robson St.

Executive Vintage Park on Howe St.

Out of the core in the West End is the Coast Plaza

Accent Inns who operate motels in Burnaby and Richmond offer packages.

You can also find stay and cruise package around the Vancouver international Airport. We will be using a "Stay & Fly " Package near the airport for our Aug 14 day Alaska Cruise. The difference is that you use there shuttle to the airport and take Canada Line to the Canada Place.

On return you take Canada Line to the airport and return to the hotel via the shuttle. If you are going directly home to Oregon that day. You don't have to cop with city traffic.

No problem......thanks for letting me know.:)

You are welcome. I appreciate all of your help. I set up the blog for two of our roll calls, and know it will help others too. I love doing research and this allows me to keep all of it in one spot.

You can also find stay and cruise package around the Vancouver international Airport. We will be using a "Stay & Fly " Package near the airport for our Aug 14 day Alaska Cruise. The difference is that you use there shuttle to the airport and take Canada Line to the Canada Place.

On return you take Canada Line to the airport and return to the hotel via the shuttle. If you are going directly home to Oregon that day. You don't have to cop with city traffic.

I like this idea but I am not sure if my Mom can make the walk from the Canada Line to the cruise port. She has a problem walking a few blocks without luggage.