Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Yes there is a bike rental place near Canada Place - it's next door at the rear of the convention center - it used to be located next to the old seaplane dock but now that that has moved they are re-locating to the convention center.

Will try and remember the name next time I am down there or do a Google search.

Cheers

Dennis

Trevor Linden's Club 16 has bike rentals and the company that I am thinking of is called Seawall adventure center but their web site shows them as closed so perhaps they haven't open at their new location yet - will still drop by and see what is happening - being out of the country for two months I have fallen behind in keeping up with the changes happening in the downtown core.

Cheers!

Dennis

Trevor Linden's Club 16 has bike rentals and the company that I am thinking of is called Seawall adventure center but their web site shows them as closed so perhaps they haven't open at their new location yet - will still drop by and see what is happening - being out of the country for two months I have fallen behind in keeping up with the changes happening in the downtown core.

Cheers!

Dennis

It was the website that got me as well then I tried phoning them....and it wasn't them.

From your knowledge, would the walk from the SkyTrain Waterfront Station exit (coming from the airport) to the Pan Pacific hotel be reasonable? I'm sure my daughter and grand kids will walk it easily from what I can tell. Thinking of myself here - the grandfather. It looks to me that once on the street it is downhill, only a few blocks and no stairs (perhaps escalator). And then I see on the SkyTrain maps an underground passage that appears to end, street level, close to the hotel.

Can anyone help me on this?

Take the train to waterfront, and exit using the elevators right on the platform marked "WAY OUT - GRANVILLE ST" (don't go down the tunnel). That puts you on the street at Granville/W.Hastings. Turn left, walk one block along W.Hastings, turn right, two blocks on Howe. Can't miss it..

Does the reference to the train mean the SkyTrain that can be boarded at the airport?

Since it has stopped raining I took a little stroll down by the Convention center and here is what I found.

No sign of Seawall Adventures - there was a place with a neon sign saying Ezee Ryders but it showed leased - so don't know if they are moving in or out - there is a web site for a place with a similiar name on Robson - do know if they are connected - one more thing to check out.

Club 16 definitely has bike rentals - $12.00 an hour but I couldn't find a link on the Club's web sites - the bikes in blue or yellow were outside the club so they do exist.

And yes the reference to train refers to the Canada Line from the airport.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Since it has stopped raining I took a little stroll down by the Convention center and here is what I found.

No sign of Seawall Adventures - there was a place with a neon sign saying Ezee Ryders but it showed leased - so don't know if they are moving in or out - there is a web site for a place with a similiar name on Robson - do know if they are connected - one more thing to check out.

Club 16 definitely has bike rentals - $12.00 an hour but I couldn't find a link on the Club's web sites - the bikes in blue or yellow were outside the club so they do exist.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

THANKS! And yes it does help. You're a valuable resource! Much appreciated.

Hotels in the downtown core that offer stay and park packages include:

Best Western-Downtown on Drake St.

Hampton Inn and Suites on Robson St.

Executive Vintage Park on Howe St.

Out of the core in the West End is the Coast Plaza

Accent Inns who operate motels in Burnaby and Richmond offer packages.

Thanks! Accent Inn has a pretty good stay and park package for us.

FYI - late May check-in for 3 people with 8 nights parking, 2 Queen beds and transfers for 3 people to the port and back to the hotel after the cruise $176 plus tax

Originally Posted by RickCanada viewpost.gif

We are staying at the Sheraton Vancouver Airport hotel in Richmond. We would like to take advantage of that and go to an authentic inexpensive Mandarin or Cantonese restaurant. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Well, you're in luck, the city of Richmond hired a full-time food blogger, and I'm sure there's a few hundred ideas on their blog

http://www.365daysofdining.com/

Thanks for the reference. It had some good ideas. I was hoping for some suggestions from some people who live nearby. The blog mostly suggests the fancy type of places, but I love the smaller places that use plastic tablecloths! ;)

From your knowledge, would the walk from the SkyTrain Waterfront Station exit (coming from the airport) to the Pan Pacific hotel be reasonable? I'm sure my daughter and grand kids will walk it easily from what I can tell. Thinking of myself here - the grandfather. It looks to me that once on the street it is downhill, only a few blocks and no stairs (perhaps escalator). And then I see on the SkyTrain maps an underground passage that appears to end, street level, close to the hotel.

Can anyone help me on this?

You will come from the airport on the Canada Line which forms part of the SkyTrain system. Once you disembark the train at Waterfront Station you will have about the equivalent of a 3 block walk to the Pan Pacific. There are elevators within the station and once on the street the walk to the hotel is level to slightly downhill. If you can handle your luggage for the 3 blocks you will be fine.

Take the train to waterfront, and exit using the elevators right on the platform marked "WAY OUT - GRANVILLE ST" (don't go down the tunnel). That puts you on the street at Granville/W.Hastings. Turn left, walk one block along W.Hastings, turn right, two blocks on Howe. Can't miss it..
Does the reference to the train mean the SkyTrain that can be boarded at the airport?

yes, Train = Canada Line Skytrain in this instance.

From the exit I've described, the walk is 3 blocks, slightly downhill, and no

stairs. If you follow the tunnel into Waterfront station itself, the walk is 3 blocks still, but slightly uphill.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks. Will check this out. Ezee Ryders has something on their website or in the name that is causing it to be blocked from work, so will look at it tonight. And I might call Club 16 about their rentals to see if need to reserve. That looks like best bet if we don't want to start at Stanley Park.

Thanks! Accent Inn has a pretty good stay and park package for us.

FYI - late May check-in for 3 people with 8 nights parking, 2 Queen beds and transfers for 3 people to the port and back to the hotel after the cruise $176 plus tax

I have been in their rooms in Richmond and stayed in their properties elsewhere in the province and can attest that they are a well run organization and the rooms are large, comfortable and clean.

Hi can you hep me .We are taking sky train and bus from airport to Victoria ferry using 1 zone fare saver ticket.I know we need to add on an add on fare for extra zone ,Do we do this at airport or at Bridgeport when we change to bus.

Thanks for all the advise you give

Debbie

Scottbee can correct me if i am wrong as he uses the system more than me but you should be able to do it at the ticket machine if not at the airport then definitely at Bridgeport - also remember if you are travelling on a weekend it's a one zone fare all day for the system.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

We have a local poster who has an exhaustive list of attractions in the greater Vancouver area and I am sure the is you search this thread or many of other threads on this board you will find it. If not then I am sure that she will be along with it at some point.

However, what you will find is that Vancouver's downtown if very compact and almost no hotel is more than a mile from the pier at Canada Place or blocks from transit or a HO HO stop. From many you can walk into Gastown or Stanley Park.

Is this the post you speak of?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=28427222&postcount=6

Hi can you hep me .We are taking sky train and bus from airport to Victoria ferry using 1 zone fare saver ticket.I know we need to add on an add on fare for extra zone ,Do we do this at airport or at Bridgeport when we change to bus.

Thanks for all the advise you give

Debbie

Buy it at the airport on the platform, it's called an 'Add Fare'

Edited by scottbee

We arrive in Vancouver on July 17 aboard Coral Princess. Our flight isn't until 6:30 pm. We asked Princess about luggage transfer to airport but they said we would have to be at the other end to claim the luggage when it got there. Can't see sitting in an airport all day but I also can't see dragging heavy luggage around Vancouver all day either. We can't be the first to face this dilemma so.....how have any of you handled this situation? Is there a place at Canada Place to store your luggage while you sightsee? If you pay Princess to ship it to the airport, do you really have to be there to retrieve it upon it's arrival? We spent a week in Vancouver last July so we are familiar with the area but would like to do something in the way of sightseeing instead of minding the suitcases...any ideas regarding this problem greatly appreciated. TIA Linda

We arrive in Vancouver on July 17 aboard Coral Princess. Our flight isn't until 6:30 pm. We asked Princess about luggage transfer to airport but they said we would have to be at the other end to claim the luggage when it got there. Can't see sitting in an airport all day but I also can't see dragging heavy luggage around Vancouver all day either. We can't be the first to face this dilemma so.....how have any of you handled this situation? Is there a place at Canada Place to store your luggage while you sightsee? If you pay Princess to ship it to the airport, do you really have to be there to retrieve it upon it's arrival? We spent a week in Vancouver last July so we are familiar with the area but would like to do something in the way of sightseeing instead of minding the suitcases...any ideas regarding this problem greatly appreciated. TIA Linda

CDS Baggage have had a booth at Canada Place for a number of years http://www.prioritybaggage.ca/services-cruiseterminalbaggagestorageservice I would give them a call though, as their website hasn't been updated for a while.

We are thinking of attending Saturday evening mass at the Holy Rosary Cathedral in Vancouver. We are staying at the Pan Pacific hotel in late September. Can we safely walk to the cathedral to/from the hotel? How far a walk is it? If we take a taxi, will we have to phone for one to get us back to the hotel and if so, which taxi service do we call? Thanks for any info.

We are thinking of attending Saturday evening mass at the Holy Rosary Cathedral in Vancouver. We are staying at the Pan Pacific hotel in late September. Can we safely walk to the cathedral to/from the hotel? How far a walk is it? If we take a taxi, will we have to phone for one to get us back to the hotel and if so, which taxi service do we call? Thanks for any info.

It's close - see this Google walking route - but a little uphill. This close to the pier Hastings is fine, but the block of Dunsmuir right next to the cathedral is a bit dubious at times (there's seriously low rent accommodation on the corner by the cathedral, and you'll find at least one beggar sitting outside the door after every service). Latest Saturday Mass is only 5:10pm, so you won't need to worry about walking home in the dark or anything...

Taxis are all the same price - the biggest company is Yellow Cab, so in theory they're more likely to have someone close to you when you call - 604 681 1111.

We plan to rent a car at the airport and drive over to Victoria (ferry actually) for a day or two and then over to the Olympic Peninsula for another day or two. Then drive back to Vancouver for the cruise.

Do any of the companies do airport pickup and cruise terminal dropoff without the extra fees?

Dave