Chena Hot Springs...

ErieCruiser08

We are taking a Celebrity cruisetour in June. We will be spending 2 nights in Fairbanks as part of our tour. I think we will have some time on our own and I was wondering if anyone has ventured to Chena Hot Springs to swim in the hot springs Rock Lake? We think it would be pretty neat. If anyone has gone, how did you get there? Also, is it worth it?:)

I thought Chena Hot Springs much better run with the previous owners. It's OK, but definately superior in the winter. Swimming is also just an ok for me. Day passes run about $20pp and the water is too funky for me. If you go, take a crappy bathing suit, anything new, seems to have the ability to change colors.

A car rental is necessary in Fairbanks. I would recommend significantly over Chena Hot Springs a fly/shuttle Arctic Circle tour. Or a cargo run.

You need to verify your itinerary. It's rare that a cruisetour would give you 2 free days anywhere.

We spent a night at Chena in 2004 after our cruise tour. The rock pool is really relaxing, and the surronding area had some wonderful hiking. The resort itself is VERY "rustic", and has probably seen better days. We had fun, but would probably not visit again.

As already mentioned. This is a much BETTER winter lodge.

As already mentioned. This is a much BETTER winter lodge.
I would imagine that the snow hides the debris and cleans things up a bit (it certainly helps our yard here in MN:) ). I would imagine that the rock pool would be a a neat experience on a cold day as well (not to mention the aurora)

Two years ago we did rental car drive to CHS. Nice drive with Yak-farm along highway at one point and we saw a cow moose standing on road shoulder grazing on way back after straining our eyes peering into treeline for wildlife on drive on the way out. Apparently there's real danger, espec at night, of locals hitting moose on the road.

CHS was 'unexciting' and plain. Slow food service in restaurant. CHS really benefits from a nice fresh layer of snow covering the dusty rutted streets, walking areas. Visiting the ElDorado Goldmine and panning was better time spent. Good Luck

Thanks everyone for the input. I read somewhere that some resorts offer transportation to Chena Hot Springs, roundtrip $45 per person. Not sure if it would be worth it or not. Maybe we will spring for an Arctic Circle tour--is it pretty amazing? Or is it just basically a plane ride?

Thanks everyone for the input. I read somewhere that some resorts offer transportation to Chena Hot Springs, roundtrip $45 per person. Not sure if it would be worth it or not. Maybe we will spring for an Arctic Circle tour--is it pretty amazing? Or is it just basically a plane ride?

On, my flightseeing "scale", the arctic circle tours that combine fly/shuttle round trip Coldfoot are in no comparism to my "best" flightseeing scenery above the Arctic Circle of Anaktuvuk Pass, which I happened to get on a cargo run with an air company that I've gone with several times.

The Arctic circle tour is extremely well run however- combo trip.

$90 for 2 plus the pool fees would definately not be worth my time at Chena Hot Springs. Add in the cost of at least one meal as well.

Archived