Ultimate Balcony Dining

hel0013

Any reviews on the Ultimate Balcony Dining? What is the cost and is it worth it?

We're sailing to the Panama Canal on the Island Princess. We've heard that it only applies to some cabins but we have a mini on the Dolphin deck. So I believe mini suites are included.

Thanks

Here is our review of it. Cost is $50pp plus a gratuity for the waitstaff. I felt it was well worth the cost.

Ultimate Balcony Dinner

Our waiter for the evening, Lucho, arrived and quickly transformed our balcony into our own private beautiful dinner setting. It was a beautiful evening, just a light chop on the water that night and a very light breeze so the setting could not have been more perfect. For the flower arrangement, 3 long stemmed red roses were delivered and I could not have more ecstatic. Lucho quietly and professionally advised me that the flowers were more likely not intended for me but for the lady

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/232...53510634saXoJU

Cocktails were served (oh great here we go again) then a tray of canapés. Most were enjoyable but I discovered caviar is not for me (I have seen a sturgeon up close and I should have known better).

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/260...53510634NkHVLW

After that, champagne and the crab puff quiche appetizer followed by a goat’s cheese salad. We just ate and enjoyed the sounds of the ocean rolling by. The video is fairly dark but the sounds of evening did get captured.

The main course followed and it was delicious, a beautiful tender, perfectly cooked lobster tail and wonderful filet mignon – absolutely the best meal of the cruise.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/292...53510634AWlfKl

The dinner ended with dessert and coffee. Lucho cleaned everything up, reset the balcony and left us alone to enjoy the balance of the evening. His service was professional and impeccable and he received the 2nd “You Made a Difference” card of our cruise.

This dinner, if you are considering it, in my opinion, is well worth every penny you pay.

Thank you for taking the time to post a detailed review. We appreciate it. Based on what you said... It will be well worth it.

BigGuy25: I heard a rumor that it only was available to suites and minis. What you said makes more sense. Why would PCL turn away the business when they have a balcony as well?

Thank you for taking the time to post a detailed review. We appreciate it. Based on what you said... It will be well worth it.

BigGuy25: I heard a rumor that it only was available to suites and minis. What you said makes more sense. Why would PCL turn away the business when they have a balcony as well?

It's available to any cabin with a balcony, not just the minis or the full suites.

It is SO worth it. When we had this on Diamond we had 3 waiters. They did not wait inside and they seemed to have perfect timing as to when to come in. One was the "gopher" getting the courses and the other 2 took turns. We are definately doing this in October on Star. I read somewhere on CC that they even set this up somewhere private on the ship for several couples - so maybe you don't even need a balcony??

No candles anymore. They bring one of those small battery operated votives that flickers.:D

Mike:)

yup, exactly.

and our waiter waited during the meal outside the room. he was quite happy with that as he had a chance to chat up the 2 pretty single girls in the cabin across from ours.

It is well worth the price. Did the surf/turf, both excellent. Something we'll probably repeat every cruise.

Our waiters mostly stayed in the hallway, and peek in now and then to check our progress. They set the bolt on the door so it doesn't close, so we barely noticed them checking (no lock clicking).

It sounds great but would it be too cold on an Alaska itinerary (mid-July)?

If you decide that it is too cool you can have it inside the cabin. We did this two weeks ago on The Golden. We had the UBD early in the week when it was beautiful out and again on the last night when it was very cold and windy so we asked them to set up inside, no problem.

Mike:)

Archived