Taxis to Magic Kingdom Question

frazzys

You might try Tiffany Town Car. Have used them several times in Orlando and they were prompt.

On the Spirit however 2 years ago we just rented a car in teh port, much cheaper and it was very easy to get to Orlando and back

• Administrators
that would be about right and not such a bad price. Its pretty far from the pier to Disney. Probably alot further than you think.

It's about a 60 mile trip along the Bee/Beachline Expressway (528). On a great day for traffic, it takes about 90 minutes, parking lot to parking lot -- each way. I think $200 round trip for seven people is a bargain, personally. The alternative is a rental car, but then you have added time to pick it up, drop it off, park it at Disney, retrieve it at Disney, etc.

you might want to scan through some older postings, but this topic comes up every few weeks. Many people think it is a crazy idea to spend 3 hours of the day traveling, plus buying tickets, standing in line, etc, etc. etc for a few hours of Disney. Disney is a large wonderful place and not a good idea for a half day visit while already on a cruise ship.

Later

• Administrators
i agree with the PP, you can't see anything in Disney in 3-6 hours. Total waist of time and espically $$$.

Well, I agree with that view, and Garycarla's -- but that wasn't the OP's question. :)

By the time you spend a minimum of three hours in roundtrip travel, plus have to be back an hour or so before sailing to be safe, Disney is an enormous expense on a per hour basis (even more so than Disney usually is, which is saying a lot). My personal view is that Disney is a destination deserving of 7-10 days, minimum, and involves a lot of compromises at that. Only if you knew that you'd never have a chance to do a land-based Disney trip, or if money was no object, or in other extenuating circumstances, do I think doing "Disney" in 5-6 hours off a cruise ship is a good idea. For more information on why, head to WDW's website for information on the four theme parks, Downtown Disney, the water parks, etc, etc, and so forth.

i agree with the PP, you can't see anything in Disney in 3-6 hours. Total waist of time and espically $$$.

We did one of Disney's waterparks, and 5 hours was about perfect. plus it was summer, so we kept cool in the water. Had a ball there.

I have to agree that doing Disney from the Cruise ship is a real waste.

We did Walt Disney World this summer (7 days) and then drove over to Cocoa Beach for a couple days and went right by the Cruise port in Port Canaveral, so I know the route well.

Let's break it down this way:

Arrive at Port Canaveral: 10:00 a.m.

Let's say the ship clears customs quickly and you are one of the first ones off.

Get off ship at 10:30 a.m.

Get in cab or van: 10:45 a.m. (longer if getting a rental car)

90 minutes to Disney is about right if traffic is normal and the toll booth lines are all open.

Arrive Disney: 12:15 p.m.

You didn't say which Disney Park.... if it is the Magic Kingdom, add another 20-30 minutes to get from drop off to Monorail Station to Magic Kingdom.

Shorter distances at the other parks or water parks.

So the earliest that you would get into the park is probably 12:30 p.m.

The ship sails at 9:00 p.m., meaning that you have to be back on board by 8:30 p.m.. At least 90 minutes back, so you have to leave Disney by 7:00 p.m. (and that is pushng it... 6:30 would be the absolute latest that I would pull out of the parking lot.)

That means that you have AT most 5.5 hours at the park.

Cost of a one day ticket for an adult (age 10 and up) is about $75.00

So you are basically paying $15.00 an hour.

I also have the "Unofficial Guide To Walt Disney World" which lists the projected crowd level for the parks. For Monday, April 14, they are listing the crowd level at "7" (10 is the most crowded).

When we went last summer, the crowd level for our day was an 8 and we waited a long time. Even with the Fastpass system for the major rides, you won't be riding any of them. By 12:30, the Fast passes will be up to 5:30 or 6:00 p.m on many of the rides. (Space Mountain, etc.)

So if you are going to Disney, plan on only visting the minor rides or the high occupancy rides. With that limited amount of time, Epcot or one of the water parks may be the best option.

While I agree with everyone who's said that Disney is a destination in itself -- I never do fewer than five days -- there ARE people out there who think a few hours is enough. I wouldn't have believed it until I talked to my SIL who attended a conference in Orlando, went to EPCOT one evening, and felt like she'd "done Disney." :confused: To each his own, I suppose.

We did the Magic Kingdom while on a cruise in 2005. For us, it wasn't enough, but it was better than nothing and worth it. We did the excursion through the ship so we didn't have to worry about traffic.

The excursion included a counter meal, which we did on our way out of the park and ate it on the bus. Lunch at 7PM.:D

I've done it several times.

DAGVBSB, your estimate about arrival time and departure time is dead on.

We have found that the lines are shorter than people fear, even President's Day, believe it or not.

My rule of thumb is you go on one ride or see one show for every hour there, and you are typically there betwee 5 1/2 and 6 1/2 hours, depending upon the cruise.

I have also went to Disney a couple of times while on a ship. I am booked for March 8th with NCL's tour. I did have a car rented but because of the distance I decided to book the bus again.

The last time on the Dawn it took us almost an hour to get off the ship. It was jammed packed. After waiting for the shuttle to the car rental agency, filling out the paperwork .... we lost almost 90 minutes. Lucky enough that trip we just stayed in Cape Canaveral.

You will have to return the car and get a taxi back .... if you return the car after 5:30.

Do I think Disney is worth it? Yep!

I have also went to Disney a couple of times while on a ship. I am booked for March 8th with NCL's tour. I did have a car rented but because of the distance I decided to book the bus again.

The last time on the Dawn it took us almost an hour to get off the ship. It was jammed packed. After waiting for the shuttle to the car rental agency, filling out the paperwork .... we lost almost 90 minutes. Lucky enough that trip we just stayed in Cape Canaveral.

You bring up two good points.

If you bite the bullet and take NCL's excursion to Disney World and the bus gets stuck in traffic or other hold up, the ship will wait. If you get stuck in traffic on your own and get back late, the ship may be gone. (the ship will wait until all NCL sponsored excursions are back on board, but not excursions you do yourself.)

Second, my time estimates were based on getting off the ship quickly and easily, having a cab or transportation waiting at the pier area, not running into heavy traffic, and the Florida Turnpike Commission having enough lanes open at the 3 toll booths on the route to move the traffic. (experienced it both ways...plenty of booths open and not enough booths open...)

So plan for less time at Disney.

My wait time estimates are based on information from the "Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World" and everyone who has used the book that I know of say that their crowd and wait calanders are pretty much dead on. (they were when we went!) I found that we were able to ride more rides from 9:00 a.m. to noon than we were the entire rest of the day as the lines got longer!

We got FastPass tickets to "Splash Mountain" at 10:30 a.m. for a 12:30 ride. When we went back for our ride, the Fast Pass Tickets being issued were for 5:30 p.m. and the "regular" wait line was at 90 minutes.

Archived