Passport protection

Personally, I leave it in the safe on the ship because it's more likely to get stolen while I'm ashore, than I am to miss the ship for any reason.

I'm afraid that I have been around too long and been in too many different countries for too long to get hung up about "proving my citizenship". If something bad happens and I miss the ship, I can get it sorted. I will either be too sick or hurt for the absence of a passport to be my primary concern, or I will be in no worse a position than having had my passport stolen to start off with - and I've been there (as have many frequently-travelling friends).

On many cruises you will not even have your passport. Its not uncommon for cruise lines to collect passports at embarkation and not return them until near the end of the cruise. Personally, we never carry our passports anywhere unless there is a compelling reason...such as when the Italians required that you had to carry your passport in Rome (not sure if this is still a technical requirement). However, we do make copies of our main passport page and always carry the copy.

Hank

I have been on three European cruises, two Caribbean, one south pacific and two canadian/alaskan cruises. Not once did a cruiseline keep my passport (HAL, RCL,NCL, Carnival, Cunard and American Hawaii). In some ports, they require you to carry your passport. There are pouches that you can buy to keep your passport, money ,etc around you waist, neck or ankle. They go under your shirt or pants but are easy to get to. If you have this, it is very unlikely that you will loose your passport. You never know what will happen and you get left behind. I believe that it was on cruisecritic that I read about somedbody whose private tour got stuck in traffic and they missed the boat. Having your passport with you will make things easier.

Judy

This comes up frequently on this board, and back a few years before 9/11 when you didn't absolutely require a passport, maybe the copy was fine (for the Caribbean), but that passport is your legal ID when you are traveling in a foreign country. I started traveling when you needed a passport to enter a foreign country, therefore I continue to renew my passport. That passport goes with me wherever I go. I've never had a cruiseship hold my passport. I did have a hotel in Rome hold the passport one night in 1998, but I don't think they do that anymore.

However, you pay for the passport to have that legal ID from your country of residence, why you would leave it behind when you are traveling in a foreign country is beyond me. Make a copy so if it is stolen or lost, you can go to the Embassy and be processed quickly for a new passport, but it's like your Visa card "don't leave home without it".

Cruise line will hold on to your passport depending on ports of call. Most of our recent cruises they kept them. Even if we were allowed to keep them we leave them in the cabin safe and take photocopies on shore.

However, you pay for the passport to have that legal ID from your country of residence, why you would leave it behind when you are traveling in a foreign country is beyond me.
Actually, you don't get a passport from your country of residence. You can normally only get a passport from your country of nationality.

There is a good reason for not carrying your passport around with you all the time, which many people just won't acknowledge. You don't normally need "legal ID". The time that you need the passport as a document is when you cross borders.

Now, everyone has to make up their own minds about this: Are you more likely to need to cross a border without a passport if you carry it off the ship with you (because it's been pinched), or if you leave it on the ship (because you aren't on the ship when it sails).

My consistent take on this: I've never known someone say that they had their passport stolen from them while it was locked up in the safe on the ship. But I know plenty of people who've had their passports stolen when they've had them with them while out and about. I've almost had it happen to me personally (attempt at distraction bag theft), I've been with someone (a parent) who had it happen to them (bag snatch on street) and had to go through the process of getting a new one, and I have diplomat friends who spend much of their weekends issuing new passports to people who have had theirs lost, damaged or stolen for any number of conventional and unconventional reasons.

Now, you may have a touching faith in your own ability to out-smart all thieves and pickpockets, wherever you are and whatever you are doing. That's fine. But please don't say that there is no opposite point of view.

What Globaliser said. I've had my pocket picked once (and I thought I was too alert - it would never happen to me!:eek: ) but I've never missed the ship yet. So on that basis, the passport stays in the safe on the ship, and I do the best I can to avoid having my pocket picked again.

Lisa

But please don't say that there is no opposite point of view.

Well, indeed there are different opinions. Thus I will give some arguments against your firm view, for carrying your passport.

- The passport is the only internationally accepted way to proof your identity and you nationality. Neither a photocopy, a ship's ID, a easily to fake driver's license nor your promise "I am American, British, what so ever" will do.

- If you miss the ship you will not be able to travel by plane to catch it at the next port without your passport (An exception are specific ID cards issued by some European governments to their citizens valid for travel between some European countries.)

This is true if you just were too late, were hold by police, had an accident or needed medical help for any reason.

- Homeland Security and other agency are of course quite happy to believe everthing you say, aren't they?

If by any bad luck you should have a difficult encounter with police, law enforcement or similiar, your passport is the only chance to declare who you are, that you are not illegally in their country, and, if needed, to guarantee you access to your embassy.

Now the likelihood of various scenarious varies by place and time. If their is no law requiring a certain behaviour everybody needs to take his individul decision.

As European I would probably not take my passport with me when docked in Venice and wandering around the city, I might take it with me when going by ferry to Capri from Naples and the next port being in another country, I certainly would take it on an overland tour in some less stable Centralamerican State.

But most certainly I would not rely on a photocopy, a piece of paper that can be produced in minutes to say what ever one likes.

Do make copies of your passport and keep them seperate from your passport. I would also always take a copy of it with me on shore.

During our 2005 Caribbean cruise I recalled the Cruise ship folks taking our passports upon Embarkation and returning them to us when we disembarked ( at the very end ).

Does anyone that has been to Europe recently know if that is the case there too on Cruises?

Many years ago on our overnight train trip they took our passports. I was uncomfortable at the time to give it to our train car conductor but figured out later it was for him to be assured that all of us had proper traveling documents as we passed thru many borders that night.

I think in places like Italy, France, Greece that are part of the EU there is little need to have anythign but a copy of your passport off the boat. If the concern is being left behind by the ship perhaps the far simpler thing is to take the boat sponsored excursion as they claim they won't leave any of those folks behind. If you are looking to save a few $ and or more independent itenerary then of course it comes with some sense of adventure and you simply need to plan accordingly.

I too am wondering about Turkey but figure our cruise rep will know best.

I agree with Global in practice- It's what I do.

However, Carls point is also accurate:

" If you miss the ship you will not be able to travel by plane to catch it at the next port without your passport

This is true if you just were too late, were hold by police, had an accident or needed medical help for any reason." The "clean up on aisle 2" time to get duplicates would be on a timeline you had little control over.

I carry a minature laminated copy of my passport, that is undeniably "cute", but still not stronger than an alterable paper copy. Having my "mini" I reckon would be useful when dealing with the US officials in the consulate, but less helpful to the local officials, particularly if they were not motivated or inclined to be helpful.

Many thanks for all of those who have posted their opinions and thoughts on this most important matter. So many good points on both sides of the isle. When we each go on our cruise's this year we will find out if the cruise lines do indeed keep your passport. A copy is most likely the way we will go as we have booked most of our excursions through the ship and are traveling in Spain, France, Croatia and Italy. I have been told by others who have recently visited Venice that it was by far the place to be the MOST careful with your belongings as so many people tend to explore this city on thier own and the pic-pockets know it.

Archived