Bringing Soda & Water..

I Know you can bring a 12-pack of soda or water when you board. We were planning on boarding and then after we dump our carry-on bags we were going to leave and pick up these items before we sail..

Is this possible or is this only allowable when you first board?

That should not be a problem. I've seen people bringing water and/or sodas onboard in various ports.

I will say I understand why you might want to bring sodas onboard, because of what they charge for a can of soda, but I don't understand feeling the need to bring on cases of bottled water, The water onboard is fine to drink, with no unpleasant taste. So why not just bring a bottle or 2 per person, and then refill the bottles from the tap and place them in the refrigerator in your cabin.

JMO

That should not be a problem. I've seen people bringing water and/or sodas onboard in various ports.

I will say I understand why you might want to bring sodas onboard, because of what they charge for a can of soda, but I don't understand feeling the need to bring on cases of bottled water, The water onboard is fine to drink, with no unpleasant taste. So why not just bring a bottle or 2 per person, and then refill the bottles from the tap and place them in the refrigerator in your cabin.

JMO

We do refill bottles but due to our reckless lifestyle we often wake up in the morning having finished all of our water only to purchase $10 water before excursions on the way down the stairs... We drink alot of alchohol so we also need alot of water :eek:

Guest arowe6

I personally didn't like the taste of the tap water on board so I always bought my water. I wish, now, I had just brought a case on like I was planning.

Oh well. :D

-Andrew

I personally didn't like the taste of the tap water on board so I always bought my water. I wish, now, I had just brought a case on like I was planning.

Oh well. :D

-Andrew

I don't like the taste of tap water anywhere, so always drink bottled water. I have refilled water bottles, but somehow it tastes different. Might be in my head, but a small price to keep myself happy.

Pia

DH & i have never worried about taking bottles of water onboard. We actually like the taste of the water served on cruise ships on all lines we've traveled even though we drink only bottled water here at home.

Taste of water on board through taps, etc. has much to do with the desalination of water and the filtration system used. if you know anything about reverse osmosis water purification you might understand that the purified water onboard these ships is probably more pure than the bottled water you purchase in stores.

That said about ship water, DH & I never buy bottled water on the ship before disembarking into ports. We buy our bottled water in port as it is always cheaper than buy the ships' bottled water.

It's hard to walk more than a block away from the ship before finding a shop selling bottled water.

In 23 cruises stretched from the Caribbean to the Mex. Riviera and up to Alaska, we've never become ill from any bottled water we've purchased in port.

Dianne

JMO

Why? Because we want to and we can :) A case of Poland Spring half liters is less than $6 and I drink them at home all the time, and as someone else said its a small price to pay for something I like. Any by the way, its not just the issue of the water. That bottle you keep refilling, do you disinfect it each time you refill or do you just rinse it beforehand? If its the latter the bacteria will build in that bottle as the week goes on.

I just bring a baggie full of individual packets of Crystal Lite and put that in my water all week. I use the ice and tap water on the ship and bring my own water bottle. I also bring a baggie of the Splenda flavored sweeteners for my coffee. Much easier to carry than cases of soda and water.

Guest arowe6
I don't like the taste of tap water anywhere, so always drink bottled water. I have refilled water bottles, but somehow it tastes different. Might be in my head, but a small price to keep myself happy.

Pia

Yes! It just has a "different" taste. There's no way to really describe it. But I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices it. ;)

-a

My DW has to have Pepsi so it is a must we be able to bring our own onboard with us, and it has never been a problem.

Me too. Diet Pepsi all the way. I even fly with some just to hold me until I can find more in a port. Sometimes not easy; Coke is still dominant.

Pia

"Why? Because we want to and we can A case of Poland Spring half liters is less than $6 and I drink them at home all the time, and as someone else said its a small price to pay for something I like. Any by the way, its not just the issue of the water. That bottle you keep refilling, do you disinfect it each time you refill or do you just rinse it beforehand? If its the latter the bacteria will build in that bottle as the week goes on."

I do understand the "want to" and the "can".

I usually purchase a bottle of water in port every 2-3 days so I can have a "fresh" bottle to refill, and discard the old one.

The germ idea does not concern me since the germs in the bottle are mine! My immune system is used to dealing with them, and I have never had a problem with getting sick from re-ingesting the germs that normally already inhabit me.

This is a "to each his own" issue. And when I commented that I didn't understand the need to carry on cases of water, it was only MHO. Just as it was when saying I have not noticed any unpleasant taste to the ship's water.

Oh well. :D -Andrew

Couldn't agree with you more. I can't stand the taste of the tap water or even the chilled water in the Horizon Court water dispenser. We usually end up spending a fortune in bottled water while onboard the ship.

Archived